Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2017, 08:55 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Update:

Well... I've been driving for 15 hours now today. Just a couple more to go! My arse hurts..

I talked to the school district multiple times today. They have been so nice about answering my questions. The gal said she would get me a maintenance history report and any other paperwork they had on it and the mechanic said he would go over everything with me on the bus which makes me super happy. I'm still tempted to buy that spare at545 tranny they offered me with 100k miles on it for $100..I mean the worst case scenario is I could sell it for more and put it towards a better tranny. Anyone know what a used 545 goes for? Thanks for all of the help guys.

The Rockwood Colony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:14 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rockwood Colony View Post
Update:

Well... I've been driving for 15 hours now today. Just a couple more to go! My arse hurts..

I talked to the school district multiple times today. They have been so nice about answering my questions. The gal said she would get me a maintenance history report and any other paperwork they had on it and the mechanic said he would go over everything with me on the bus which makes me super happy. I'm still tempted to buy that spare at545 tranny they offered me with 100k miles on it for $100..I mean the worst case scenario is I could sell it for more and put it towards a better tranny. Anyone know what a used 545 goes for? Thanks for all of the help guys.
A forum member had a FREE 545 up for grabs and no takers.
I'd use the hundred bucks toward buying a 643 down the road.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:04 AM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Im happy to say that we got our bus and it is amazing!!!! The mechanic was accurate in his description of the bus. So so clean! I mean seriously.. when we opened the hood I could not believe my eyes. Incredibly clean and zero rust! Underneath I only found a pinch of surface rust on the exhaust in 1 spot and barely any. I still can't believe how well kept this bus has been. There is a couple pieces of exterior hardware that has a pinch of rust too but that's it.

I drove the bus 540 miles yesterday and it did way better than I thought it would in the interstate!

Top speeds:
45-55mph - steep inclines.2200-2500rpm
69mph - flat ground. 2600-2700rpm
79mph - down hill!!! 2900 rpm

6 mpg on average. That's with almost two hours of rush hour traffic through Kansas City and Omaha with a lot of interstate stopping and going. That's also with the pedal to the floor whenever possible which I did because it wasn't over heating at all.

Initial likes/dislikes:

Likes - Much higher speeds than expected!
TONS of driver space. Handles great. Just so clean! Minimal rust. No rivets on the interior will make for easy panel removal. The parking brake is a giant lever rather than a foot pedal which I prefer. Easy access panels inside and out to all wiring. Oversized bifold door. There is custom shut off valves under the hood for the heaters in and out so the heat won't come through when the heater is off. A separate switch for each wiper. Back door locks. Heated mirrors. Emergency roof exits are also vents. 2 heater cores in the front. Glove compartment. DT466 engine. I can set the idle to any rpm I want and leave it there so when I start it again it stays where I want it. Pull switch for shut off. Mechanically sound! Very comfy driver seat.

Dislikes - semi-low mpg. At545 tranny makes for high rpm's in top gear at top speeds. Stationary steering wheel. No radio. Wonky turn signal lever will sometimes flash your brights when trying to use your blinker. No cup holders or any holders except the glove box which doesn't have a door. Just over 6 feet of head room. Loud! Really nothing else!

Over all I would give this bus 2 thumbs up! I know the Amtrans have gotten a lot of negative criticism on a bunch of bus forums but this one is the unicorn in the heard! I love it!

I will post pictures later and have already started working on Skoolie conversion edits that will be posted on our YouTube channel, "The Rockwood Colony"

PUMPED UP!!!!!!
Old 11-02-2017, 09:35 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Well it has been too long since I posted here. We've been working on the bus on and off for a couple months and are in the process of raising the roof. If any has ever done a roof raise they know it is a lot of work. We have no experience so naturally we've been having lots of questions. I started another thread called "Roof Raise Confusion" to try and get some questions answered about our roof raise process. If you are interested in reading through that and seeing our questions on the process we chose to raise the roof here is the link:

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/ro...ion-18982.html

I'll post some pics below here of where we are at in the roof raise. This has been a lot of work but it's also been a BLAST!!! I never thought I'd enjoy this process so much. Thanks to anyone who has helped guide us through this conversion!!!

https://scontent.ffsd1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...97&oe=5A6779A3

https://scontent.ffsd1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...32&oe=5AA714E8

https://scontent.ffsd1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...fa&oe=5A7551E6

https://scontent.ffsd1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...bd&oe=5A702BA3

PS. Sorry that the first pictures I've posted of my bus are in the middle of a roof raise. I have pictures of the bus before we started working on it but for some reason I can't find them right now so these will have to do! This AmTran has been amazing and I am so happy ours seems to have nowhere near the problems that other AmTrans seem to have a reputation for. In fact it's quite the opposite for our bus compared to what we hear about other old AmTrans. That's why we call her "The Unicorn"!
Old 11-03-2017, 03:44 AM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
What reputation?
I love Amtrans.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags