Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2017, 06:51 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Jumping on the Bus

Hello! Planning my retirement and it seems the best way is to join the Skoolie revolution! I have not purchased a bus yet, but it's in the works. Thought I would go ahead and join up anyway.

Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:59 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Pics of your mullet required!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:10 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
What species of mullet? Here is a handy guide to help!
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58303

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:54 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Classic Camaro Mullet ;)
Attached Thumbnails
mr.jpg  
Old 10-07-2017, 09:30 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Is that you?
Sorry- I thought it was Kenny effin Powers, man.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:55 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Nope. That's me. I will post more info about myself tonight after work and stuff.
Old 10-07-2017, 04:38 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 20 person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
Hello! Planning my retirement and it seems the best way is to join the Skoolie revolution! I have not purchased a bus yet, but it's in the works. Thought I would go ahead and join up anyway.
Welcome to the group. We look forward to watching your journey. There are a ton of smart people on here (not me) who can help you with every aspect of your build. I am a student of the skoolie, learning myself.
Youtube - bit.ly/TheBowserJournal
BowserJournal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:01 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Well I am a diesel truck, auto mechanic, and RV mechanic by trade. I have a CDL, Pennsylvania State Inspection licence, and Pennsylvania Emissions certified. I been a mechanic all my life and through my experience I have found motorhomes to be unreliable, expensive garbage. We been wanting to retire the RV life in 10 years or so (or maybe less) but I refused to succumb to the crappy RV.

A couple of weeks ago I seen my very first "Skoolie" come into the shop. This was an E-450 V-10 with a large fiberglass bus shell and the inside was really nice although not complete. I started researching bus conversions because cab and chassis vehicles are more reliable than truck chassis vehicles, but C class motorhomes are poorly built.

After some online searches and videos I decided that a large 3/4 or full size school bus would best suit us. I am very familiar with the International trucks with the DT466 or T444 engines and prefer pre-emissions models. The 5.9L Cummins in a Freightliner chassis would be my second choice with a Cat powered bus third. Gotta be a tilt hood bus for me in my opinion.

If the build goes quickly I might have the option to retire early because with my career path, I assume I could easily make money fixing RV's campers, cars, trucks, and generators on the road or at camps or parks. I could equip the bus to also function as a service vehicle. I never did the whole travel life and not sure if there is a demand for mechanics out in the wild unlike working full time at a shop like I do now.

I have a few hobbies. I own a few Geo Metro cars and also been running the Geo Metro Forum on the web since 2008. I also enjoy bicycling, and computers.

I also been rocking this sweet mullet since 1984
Old 10-07-2017, 09:35 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
Well I am a diesel truck, auto mechanic, and RV mechanic by trade. I have a CDL, Pennsylvania State Inspection licence, and Pennsylvania Emissions certified. I been a mechanic all my life and through my experience I have found motorhomes to be unreliable, expensive garbage. We been wanting to retire the RV life in 10 years or so (or maybe less) but I refused to succumb to the crappy RV.

A couple of weeks ago I seen my very first "Skoolie" come into the shop. This was an E-450 V-10 with a large fiberglass bus shell and the inside was really nice although not complete. I started researching bus conversions because cab and chassis vehicles are more reliable than truck chassis vehicles, but C class motorhomes are poorly built.

After some online searches and videos I decided that a large 3/4 or full size school bus would best suit us. I am very familiar with the International trucks with the DT466 or T444 engines and prefer pre-emissions models. The 5.9L Cummins in a Freightliner chassis would be my second choice with a Cat powered bus third. Gotta be a tilt hood bus for me in my opinion.

If the build goes quickly I might have the option to retire early because with my career path, I assume I could easily make money fixing RV's campers, cars, trucks, and generators on the road or at camps or parks. I could equip the bus to also function as a service vehicle. I never did the whole travel life and not sure if there is a demand for mechanics out in the wild unlike working full time at a shop like I do now.

I have a few hobbies. I own a few Geo Metro cars and also been running the Geo Metro Forum on the web since 2008. I also enjoy bicycling, and computers.

I also been rocking this sweet mullet since 1984 [emoji3]
You have no idea how many people in this forum alone could use a knowledgeable and fair mobile mechanic... And that's just here.
Publish a schedule of where and when you will be, and I am sure there would be work waiting for you.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:21 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Most newbies take a year to come up to speed enough to make all the choices you just walked in the door with. I'm thinking you are gonna be one good head to have around here. Welcome!
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote