Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2017, 11:41 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Just and old, bald man ...

Hi all ... time for an introduction.

My name is Steve, my wife is Jodie. Between us we have five kids and four cats. My two boys are grown and live in my home country, the UK. I have been in the US for 13 years, and happily married for all of them. Our three kids here are 18, 16 and 14.

Jodie is a High School teacher and I am a paraprofessional. We both work for our local school district which is one of the bigger districts in Oklahoma.

All my life I have been a motorcyclist. Around six years ago I started Long-Distance Motorcycling, and competed in the Iron Butt Rally this year. For those that don't know, this is an Eleven Day, Eleven Thousand Mile event. My motorcycling is a bit of a solitary pastime mainly because my wife is smarter than I am, and she prefers shorter trips, although she got her "M" endorsement last year so who knows ...

I have long wanted my trips to include both of us, and any of the kids who'd like to come, and we both love camping. I have been researching tents and equipment recently to find a decent way to attend Burning Man, and maybe a few of the larger rock festivals.

RVs always spring to mind, and then thoughts turn naturally to ways to do that better than spending 10 years salary on something made of plastic and stapled together.

So I thought about a bus conversion, and the more I thought about it, and read around, the better it seemed to be. Even if we later decide it's not for us, if we do this right it should end up costing little more than time and hard work. We have the time and I've never been afraid of work. Jodie tells me she will become more enthusiastic about doing the work when a bus is stripped, insulated and lined. I don't really know why she wants to help choose the fridge and stove because I do the shopping and cooking

So the plan ...

Take the time needed to find the right bus. I'd prefer to avoid raising the roof. I'm not bothered about the process, just that it's a big extra task when a 6' 8" headroom bus will give us enough to work with without cutting the top off. My can-opener is great for tins of tuna, not so much for bus roofs!

I've looked at many posts and videos of others traveling this road, and have yet to see a tool used that I don't already have .... Well maybe a few, but not many. We have the space to work at home. We carefully bought our house. It's outside the city limits, so county laws apply, and there is no HOA, because that is one layer of government I think we would all be better off without. We have two acres, fifty foot from the front of the garage to the road and it's decently flat, and no one to tell us not to park a bus there.

We have a lot of other jobs that need doing in and around the house, so a bus conversion, at least to full fit-out may take a while. What I'd like to do though is get one to "driveable tent" stage fairly quickly.

So what are we looking for ...

A transit style bus, mid 90s to low 2000s. High roof, rear engine. Cummins 8.3 with Allison 3060 and under storage ... preferably with air-ride ... and cheap.

Yes, I know that's the holy grail but we have time to look, and "compromise" is my middle name (It's not really, my middle name is "John").

So that's us. I will contribute to the forum simply because I generally enjoy forum banter and the exchange of knowledge and ideas. I promise I won't give a view on anything I don't actually know about!

If you are interested at all in my motorcycle journey's clicking the link below will show you the major trips in the last 5 years. Messing with the adjustments in the drop-down at the top of the page will let you isolate parts of the travels. Don't tell everyone where I live, especially the Jehovas Witnesses

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...=0&showAll=yes

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:48 AM   #2
Bus Nut

A great idea. You might look at buses like this.Lots of value for the money.

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/rv...317972656.html

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:58 AM   #3
Bus Nut

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/rv...317972656.html

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:56 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
I got mine through Midwest Transit. My personal opinion of Craigslist? People are trying to dump problems at a profit.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 04:20 PM   #5
Bus Geek

I've never been a "buy from a dealer" person, but I might break that habit this time.

My preference would be to buy directly from one of our local school districts. My own district changes around 5 to 8 buses every year, and they go to closed bids in July. They don't have any transit style buses though. We are a district of 10k students.

There are plenty of other school districts within very easy reach of here, so there are probably options.

Build Thread
Old 09-24-2017, 04:35 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
I got mine through Midwest Transit. My personal opinion of Craigslist? People are trying to dump problems at a profit.
Midwest transit is very near me. A guy stopped by to talk schoolie and told me he purchased a re for $2500 and was getting another.

I totally disagree with you. I sell and buy on Craigslist quite a bit. Just buyer beware as anywhere else. I don't dump any problems i have on Craigs list. I TELL THE TRUTH.

VERY FEW DEALERS TELL THE TRUTH.

Old 09-24-2017, 04:56 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
As I said, it was MY opinion of Craigslist. Perhaps it was what I was finding that displeased me. As you said, though, Caveat Emptor!
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:46 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
craigslist is like anything else.. do your homework.. alot of times the seller isnt necessarily dishonest they often have no idea what they are selling.. ie they bought a bus to convert and really have no idea what its drivetrain is.. so they guess.. and unless you are lucky enough to buy an auction bus wit hthe service records.. no one really knows the history of their bus.. if you get the VIN you can run it through the chassis manufacturer and they can tell you where it was first sold.. so youd know what state your bus likely started its school tenure..

if a craigslist seller seems shady then you walk.. ie "well im still waiting on the title..." yeah you run away quickly..

ive bought and sold good stuff on craigslist.. and I was never hacked / sliced / or shot.

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:28 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
craigslist is like anything else.. do your homework.. alot of times the seller isnt necessarily dishonest they often have no idea what they are selling.. ie they bought a bus to convert and really have no idea what its drivetrain is.. so they guess.. and unless you are lucky enough to buy an auction bus wit hthe service records.. no one really knows the history of their bus.. if you get the VIN you can run it through the chassis manufacturer and they can tell you where it was first sold.. so youd know what state your bus likely started its school tenure..

if a craigslist seller seems shady then you walk.. ie "well im still waiting on the title..." yeah you run away quickly..

ive bought and sold good stuff on craigslist.. and I was never hacked / sliced / or shot.

-Christopher
It's a case of caveat emptor.

The issue is that most of us, buying our first bus, have little real experience to rely on. There is a lot you can do to lessen the risk of being ripped off, but even if a vehicle has a transmission failure two weeks after you buy it doesn't mean that the seller knew there was an issue.

The torque-converter on our '04 Taurus went out suddenly, and with zero warning. I fixed it. Had I sold the car the day before I am pretty sure the buyer would be calling me all kinds of names my mother wouldn't approve of.

Build Thread
Old 09-25-2017, 04:33 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
Hi all ... time for an introduction.

My name is Steve, my wife is Jodie. Between us we have five kids and four cats. My two boys are grown and live in my home country, the UK. I have been in the US for 13 years, and happily married for all of them. Our three kids here are 18, 16 and 14.

Jodie is a High School teacher and I am a paraprofessional. We both work for our local school district which is one of the bigger districts in Oklahoma.

All my life I have been a motorcyclist. Around six years ago I started Long-Distance Motorcycling, and competed in the Iron Butt Rally this year. For those that don't know, this is an Eleven Day, Eleven Thousand Mile event. My motorcycling is a bit of a solitary pastime mainly because my wife is smarter than I am, and she prefers shorter trips, although she got her "M" endorsement last year so who knows ...

I have long wanted my trips to include both of us, and any of the kids who'd like to come, and we both love camping. I have been researching tents and equipment recently to find a decent way to attend Burning Man, and maybe a few of the larger rock festivals.

RVs always spring to mind, and then thoughts turn naturally to ways to do that better than spending 10 years salary on something made of plastic and stapled together.

So I thought about a bus conversion, and the more I thought about it, and read around, the better it seemed to be. Even if we later decide it's not for us, if we do this right it should end up costing little more than time and hard work. We have the time and I've never been afraid of work. Jodie tells me she will become more enthusiastic about doing the work when a bus is stripped, insulated and lined. I don't really know why she wants to help choose the fridge and stove because I do the shopping and cooking

So the plan ...

Take the time needed to find the right bus. I'd prefer to avoid raising the roof. I'm not bothered about the process, just that it's a big extra task when a 6' 8" headroom bus will give us enough to work with without cutting the top off. My can-opener is great for tins of tuna, not so much for bus roofs!

I've looked at many posts and videos of others traveling this road, and have yet to see a tool used that I don't already have .... Well maybe a few, but not many. We have the space to work at home. We carefully bought our house. It's outside the city limits, so county laws apply, and there is no HOA, because that is one layer of government I think we would all be better off without. We have two acres, fifty foot from the front of the garage to the road and it's decently flat, and no one to tell us not to park a bus there.

We have a lot of other jobs that need doing in and around the house, so a bus conversion, at least to full fit-out may take a while. What I'd like to do though is get one to "driveable tent" stage fairly quickly.

So what are we looking for ...

A transit style bus, mid 90s to low 2000s. High roof, rear engine. Cummins 8.3 with Allison 3060 and under storage ... preferably with air-ride ... and cheap.

Yes, I know that's the holy grail but we have time to look, and "compromise" is my middle name (It's not really, my middle name is "John").

So that's us. I will contribute to the forum simply because I generally enjoy forum banter and the exchange of knowledge and ideas. I promise I won't give a view on anything I don't actually know about!

If you are interested at all in my motorcycle journey's clicking the link below will show you the major trips in the last 5 years. Messing with the adjustments in the drop-down at the top of the page will let you isolate parts of the travels. Don't tell everyone where I live, especially the Jehovas Witnesses

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...=0&showAll=yes
A fleet of the very bus you seek was auctioned off in WA a few months ago. 99 fully mechanical 8.3 buses in minty condition went for around 4k each. Watch the auction sites and be ready to travel for a NICE bus.

What part of the UK are you from? We have family in Glasgow and around Scotland.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 04:35 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Midwest transit is very near me. A guy stopped by to talk schoolie and told me he purchased a re for $2500 and was getting another.

I totally disagree with you. I sell and buy on Craigslist quite a bit. Just buyer beware as anywhere else. I don't dump any problems i have on Craigs list. I TELL THE TRUTH.

VERY FEW DEALERS TELL THE TRUTH.
Screw CL and Dealers, go straight to the source!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 04:27 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: BlueBird
First thing is to locate the bus you "like" - if it is advertised on craigslist, chances are it will be advertised elsewhere on the internet. Just search the same post "heading" on google to find the bus advertised elsewhere, google the address, then go check it out unannounced. Look at other equipment on the lot first. Don't be so eager to run to the bus when you see it. If the bus is advertised at $6,500 make sure you have a method to pay it right away, even if you need to get a personal loan prior to arrival. If you're certain it is the bus you want, ask the owner "hypothetically speaking", Would they accept selling it to you with TTL (tags, title, and license plates) out the door for perhaps 2K lower than the advertised price, TODAY? If you don't have the means to pay for it right away, don't bother haggling the price lower than advertised. It will just put you in a bad position to begin with.

Before asking to lower the price, take as much time as you can looking at the engine oil, P/S oil, and transmission fluids, undercarriage etc. Inspect it like you want it and then wheel and deal. It doesn't hurt to ask to lower the price if you are willing to buy it ASAP.
Daveyd007 is offline   Reply With Quote