Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2018, 10:57 AM   #1

Just getting started in Roanoke, VA

Hi there! I'm so excited to have found this forum. I've been reading a lot on here already and have learned quite a bit. I'll be buying my bus this month if all goes as planned. My first question is more of a poll about floors. I understand a couple of methods of ripping out existing flooring, walls, and ceilings in a bus; and I've read a few different ways of laying new floors. I'm pretty sure that I am convinced it's a good idea to start clean. I'll have my kids with me and I don't want rust, holes, mold, or other problems from the get go. But, I would like to know--

If you DID NOT rip out your floors and lay new ones, do you regret it? Why or why not?

Also, if you are familiar with the Roanoke area and have any local tips, I would love to hear them!

Thanks!

Worthington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:40 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worthington View Post
Hi there! I'm so excited to have found this forum. I've been reading a lot on here already and have learned quite a bit. I'll be buying my bus this month if all goes as planned. My first question is more of a poll about floors. I understand a couple of methods of ripping out existing flooring, walls, and ceilings in a bus; and I've read a few different ways of laying new floors. I'm pretty sure that I am convinced it's a good idea to start clean. I'll have my kids with me and I don't want rust, holes, mold, or other problems from the get go. But, I would like to know--

If you DID NOT rip out your floors and lay new ones, do you regret it? Why or why not?

Also, if you are familiar with the Roanoke area and have any local tips, I would love to hear them!

Thanks!
Welcome
1. I didn't rip out my floors and now I have cold feet every winter for the past two years. Geuss what I'll be doing this summer?

2. Not familiar with the roanoke area at all, except for the history channel's representation of loosing a colony there. Find them yet?
Old 02-13-2018, 12:25 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Welcome
1. I didn't rip out my floors and now I have cold feet every winter for the past two years. Geuss what I'll be doing this summer?

2. Not familiar with the roanoke area at all, except for the history channel's representation of loosing a colony there. Find them yet?
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:10 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Chassis: Step Van
Engine: Prefer Diesel
Rated Cap: 14'-16' Step Van
Im not far from Roanoke.....Im in Culpeper. What kind of bus/ use do you envision? Full-time, few summer weekends, man cave? Type of bus? Conventional, shuttle, inter-city, provost? These will help those here to better hone in on what would help u the most. IE: I am looking to do a 24 passenger shuttle bus, so I would be ZERO help on mechanical questions about a conventional bus. Others here are EXCELLENT on that knowledge but may not be familiar with cutaway type. Good luck tho. Hope to see some pics during the build( I like stealing ideas)
Doug
Old 02-13-2018, 03:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defjr333 View Post
Im not far from Roanoke.....Im in Culpeper. What kind of bus/ use do you envision? Full-time, few summer weekends, man cave? Type of bus? Conventional, shuttle, inter-city, provost? These will help those here to better hone in on what would help u the most. IE: I am looking to do a 24 passenger shuttle bus, so I would be ZERO help on mechanical questions about a conventional bus. Others here are EXCELLENT on that knowledge but may not be familiar with cutaway type. Good luck tho. Hope to see some pics during the build( I like stealing ideas)
Doug
I'm looking at a 32 foot Thomas. I'm hoping to spend as much time in it as possible visiting family in NC, FL, and IN and maybe some travel in the southwest down the line. I've been storing photos in my IG account for about two years now, so I have to narrow down my wish list and accept a single design. I'm really thinking I will rip everything out--floors, walls, ceiling--to give myself peace of mind and not have regret down the road. Not really planning on cold weather living, but you never know, and the insulation will be a nice energy savings (I hope). Let me add: I'm a mom with no clue what I'm doing except for extensive reading and watching others. Fortunately, my circle is filled with contractors, electricians, mechanics, and plumbers. Crossing my fingers that they will trade baked goods for work (jk)! No, actually my 8 year-old and I are excited to get started. My girls--meh. They will like it when we are finished, though. Thanks, Doug! I'll definitely post my progress and maybe y'all can get some chuckles ;)
Old 02-13-2018, 03:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Welcome

Thank you for sharing. Good point--cold feet! I'm in the city of Roanoke in sw VA and I think the story of the Lost Colony is Roanoke Island, NC. A+ for reaching back into history though!
Old 02-13-2018, 06:04 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worthington View Post
A+ for reaching back into history though!
A+ for reaching back into history.

D- for sleeping during this particular lesson in history class.

Maybe his feet were cold.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:11 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
It's the history channel.

I have a floor covered with L-track, so I've been very remiss to cover it with anything. It is great for anchoring things down anywhere in the bus.

I may have only seen part 1 or 3 concerning the Roanoak story, and yes my feet were cold.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:37 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3L (Navistar T444E)
I'm just commenting to say I would love to come see the bus and help out some weekends when possible. I'm down in Blacksburg and in the planning/saving stages for my own bus so can't provide input on best practices but would love to help when I can!

Feel free to send me a message on here if you want some free labor!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
gzimmerman372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:19 AM   #10

Thanks so much gzimmerman! I will let you know when I start ripping it apart
Old 02-18-2018, 04:55 PM   #11

I am in Blacksburg as well! I don’t have a bus yet, but hoping to get one soon. If I find any great local resources once I get started I’ll pass them along to you two
Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:42 PM   #12

Year: 2002
Coachwork: American Transportation
Engine: T444E (7.3L)
Rated Cap: 78
I am in Chesterfield, VA and just getting started on a build myself. Glad to see more folks in Virginia! Found my bus at M&M Auto Salvage in Ruckersville.
Pastor_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:40 AM   #13

Thanks! Glad to be connected!

I'm glad to see there's somewhat of a skoolie community nearby!
Old 03-20-2018, 10:28 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

I just got myself a bus in Blacksburg! So pumped. 2003 Ford E450, 7.3L, previous owner had already stripped the inside so it's down to basically the raw metal floor and the ribs and all for walls and ceiling.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2018, 10:59 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I debated whether or not to pull up the linoleum and plywood or just put insulation and plywood on top of the old floor.

There was zero sign of moisture in the roof and walls. I finally decided to pull it up and found that the back quarter of the plywood was wet. Rust on the floor was minimal but certainly would have gotten worse if I had left it alone.

I am glad that I decided to pull up the plywood.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:50 PM   #16
Bus Nut

A wise man once said "PULL IT OUT" and lived happily ever after.

My $0.02
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 11:01 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzimmerman372 View Post
I just got myself a bus in Blacksburg! So pumped. 2003 Ford E450, 7.3L, previous owner had already stripped the inside so it's down to basically the raw metal floor and the ribs and all for walls and ceiling.

HA, a Krapf's bus? I got it's twin sister for Christmas. Awesome little bus, I'm looking forward to following your build.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
crashmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 11:34 AM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmonster View Post
HA, a Krapf's bus? I got it's twin sister for Christmas. Awesome little bus, I'm looking forward to following your build.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Yep! It's a piece of Krapf! I'm super excited about it. Hating that I have to work so much instead of working on the bus

Tags
floor prep, floor replacement, floors