Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2017, 01:20 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kool4skool View Post
Marijuana
I love that word.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:14 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kool4skool View Post
Marijuana
True, but that's a case of the state being more permissive.

In the case of the regs we are talking about, were a MH owner charged in Ca. they could appeal to the Feds, and win. Don't try that with a marijuana bust, unless you prefer federal prison to state prison (I probably would).

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:26 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
states do have the right to regulate many things DMV.. including various licensing requirements.. in Ohio I can drive the biggest RV out there and dont need any endoresements or CDL.. in other states I cant.. in Ohio you cant register any RV longer than 45 feet.. I believe 65 feet for a commercial bus..
california, michigan, etc is different..
-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:51 PM   #24
Almost There

Federal law won't help it get registered in California. If you register it in another state I think you might have some cover driving it in California but they might go after you if they think California is your state of residence.

On top of that, you'll stick out like a sore thumb.

It might work out but you might have to jump through a lot of hoops.

I thought you were brave just for the mechanical differences of an articulated bus but learning that registration will be hard, wow.

I hope you have a plan.
Drop out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:56 PM   #25
Bus Geek

What was top speed? 45 mph?
and you could never come visit me , without them closing off 30 miles of road around the lake to 1 lane

for reelz...how bad was right hand corners? does the articulating part compensate for speed with hydraulics or just the tighter you turn the more it turns
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:40 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
A state can't change federal regulations to get rid of them but they can be tougher or more stringent than federal regs.?
For some of us a school bus for private use with out air brake endorsement is acceptable.
But even though not mandated buy federal DOT except for commercial use any state can better that buy saying anything in this state with air brakes will pay for the DOT training and our DOT air brake endorsement.
Most of the time it is about ways to get money and Some times the law is about SAFETY which should be ABOVE anything else but safety Cost a lot of money to start a new plan butt cost peanuts to maintain a plan in place.
For us we have to figure out how to work the system in our area?
If/when I find the time I am going to get my CDL at a minimum cause for me that opens up a lot of part time dump truck driver positions in my area?
When I am here
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:56 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
A state can't change federal regulations to get rid of them but they can be tougher or more stringent than federal regs.?
For some of us a school bus for private use with out air brake endorsement is acceptable.
But even though not mandated buy federal DOT except for commercial use any state can better that buy saying anything in this state with air brakes will pay for the DOT training and our DOT air brake endorsement.
Most of the time it is about ways to get money and Some times the law is about SAFETY which should be ABOVE anything else but safety Cost a lot of money to start a new plan butt cost peanuts to maintain a plan in place.
For us we have to figure out how to work the system in our area?
If/when I find the time I am going to get my CDL at a minimum cause for me that opens up a lot of part time dump truck driver positions in my area?
When I am here
So in the case you mention, they are not actually being more stringent.

Federal laws exempt MH, of any weight, from CDL requirements.

However, the feds do not set the driving class limits for drivers licenses, that is a state matter.

So a state is free to say that a vehicle over 26000 lbs is in a different class than your car or truck, just as they do for a motorcycle. They are also free to insist on an air-brakes endorsement for everyone.

That's why many states have "Non-commercial" Class A and B licenses.

The conditions on the licenses are exactly the same as everyone's license, and reciprocity means that if you are legal in your home state you are legal in all 50 states. If you move you might then need to test in your new home state. You are also legal in Canada, even the provinces that require an air-brake endorsement for Canadian drivers.

So in that respect the states are not being more stringent than the feds, but they may be being more stringent than other states.

Build Thread
Old 11-10-2017, 05:23 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Twigg,

You bring up a good question.

I have driven an air brake equipped bus through several Canadian provinces without an air brake endorsement. I didn't know about the requirement until after the fact. My home state does not require the endorsement. Do the Canadian provinces honor resiprocity with US states regarding this?

Thanks.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:13 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Twigg,

You bring up a good question.

I have driven an air brake equipped bus through several Canadian provinces without an air brake endorsement. I didn't know about the requirement until after the fact. My home state does not require the endorsement. Do the Canadian provinces honor resiprocity with US states regarding this?

Thanks.
Yes. Some provinces have the requirement, but they all respect each other's licenses.

Build Thread
Old 11-11-2017, 10:20 AM   #30
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
The question is: does the resiprocity extend to US States and their requirements?

My bus is registered in WA where an air brake endorsement is not required. If I drive in Ontario, are they going to honor WA requirements or give me grief for not having an air brake endorsement?
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 01:00 PM   #31
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
but where is the motor? which is the drive axle?

did i miss the answer?
Old 11-11-2017, 01:37 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
The question is: does the resiprocity extend to US States and their requirements?

My bus is registered in WA where an air brake endorsement is not required. If I drive in Ontario, are they going to honor WA requirements or give me grief for not having an air brake endorsement?
Canada accepts your US license. If you are legal at home, you are legal in Canada. I very much doubt they would even check.

If you get stopped for, say, speeding in Canada you are getting an expensive ticket. They are not likely to check your license but if they do you are fine.

Many US cops don't understand the more arcane rules either, and it can cause problems with tickets issued in far-off places that are difficult to contest.

Build Thread
Old 11-11-2017, 05:01 PM   #33
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: AARE 3903
Engine: Cummins 6CTA 8.3
Rated Cap: 84
Reciprocity applies to licensure of drivers and registration of vehicles. It does not apply to actual vehicle code in all states.

This, for example, is why you can still get a fixit ticket and fined for tinted windows in another state even if it is legal in your state.
wunderhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 09:17 PM   #34
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderhut View Post
Reciprocity applies to licensure of drivers and registration of vehicles. It does not apply to actual vehicle code in all states.

This, for example, is why you can still get a fixit ticket and fined for tinted windows in another state even if it is legal in your state.
It applies to all type-approved vehicles sold in the US. If it came from the factory that way, it is legal ... period.

However ... California has a law about not fixing anything to the inside of the windshield, so you could get a ticket for that even if ONLY California objects.

Most states are tolerant of Radar Detectors, Virginia is not and neither are a few Canadian provinces.

There are a whole bunch of other minor differences which will make zero difference to anyone if they don't attract attention in the first place ... but some will be caught out. That's when the fun starts.

Motorcycle helmet laws are an obvious difference. It's something I never give a thought to, because I never ride without one. People have bought buses for less than my helmet cost

Build Thread
Old 11-11-2017, 10:11 PM   #35
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: AARE 3903
Engine: Cummins 6CTA 8.3
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
It applies to all type-approved vehicles sold in the US. If it came from the factory that way, it is legal ... period.

However ... California has a law about not fixing anything to the inside of the windshield, so you could get a ticket for that even if ONLY California objects.
Agreed. But nobody here is building a factory vehicle.

Drive a yellow school bus conversion through my state and you can get a ticket. Even if it's registered in your state and your state allows your conversion to be school bus yellow. Because the reciprocity doesn't apply in this case.
wunderhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:34 PM   #36
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderhut View Post
Agreed. But nobody here is building a factory vehicle.

Drive a yellow school bus conversion through my state and you can get a ticket. Even if it's registered in your state and your state allows your conversion to be school bus yellow. Because the reciprocity doesn't apply in this case.
I haven't looked at the specifics of "National School Bus Yellow". I know there is a federal law mandating that color for school buses, but you are right that some states insist it is changed before re-registering, and some (including mine) don't.

I don't know if those citations would hold up in court, but I don't plan on finding out. Tickets are issued for a bunch of reasons, not all of them valid. As I said before, it's usually less painful just to pay them, but it rankles.

FWIW ... I think that the only buses painted yellow, should be school buses. It makes my kids safer if folk don't start ignoring it.

Build Thread