Old 08-09-2016, 09:38 AM   #91
Almost There
Currently, her "permanent address" is still in Georgia, and I've filed my letter of intent to home school with the state of GA. The rules are pretty straightforward and simple here in the Bible Belt. There's a form online for the letter of intent, which must be submitted annually. This takes less than 5 minutes. Although the law says you must provide instruction 180 days per year, and the curriculum must cover mathematics, English language arts, science, social studies, and reading - there is no need to report attendance or curriculum. Georgia relies on the honor system to ensure these rules are being followed, apparently. The child does have to take a standardized test every 3 years, which can be administered by the parent or a local homeschooling group.

I did look at the rules in Ohio as well, since we may be officially moving there after the house here is sold. They require that the parent notify the superintendent annually (no online form, alas), and provide 900 hours of instruction per year. Parents have to keep a portfolio of work which an Ohio certified teacher must assess, and the certified teacher must also administer the standardized tests. Luckily, my sister happens to be a certified teacher in Ohio, so this is not nearly as much of a hassle for me as it might be otherwise. ;)

Oh my goodness! I would LOVE to see your bus when you come through Georgia. I'll pm you my contact info.
mysty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:21 PM   #92
I love this thread. Looking forward to perusing the site and interacting with you lovelies as I continue my conversion. I a.m. boldly living in mine while converting it. Hopefully I won't freeze this winter as I didn't have time or funds to replace the insulation this summer. Will be making insulating curtains asap. Have some temporary curtains to block the sun. Loving the layout and the fact that I own muy home for the first time, at age 42.
Tinyhousemama is offline   Reply With Quote