Old 04-08-2016, 02:55 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysty View Post
Clearly I have found some kindred spirits!

EastCoastCB, we would rather sell for a number of reasons. (Story incoming)

We bought this house a few years ago to get our kids into some of the best schools in the state. Prior to that, we had another large house sitting on a few acres out in the country. The "old house" sat empty for over a year, and was eventually broken into and damaged. (People ripped the wiring out of the walls for the copper!) We hired some friends to help repair the house, and they ended up falling in love with it. Unfortunately, they couldn't get a loan to buy it outright (plumbers, electricians, and the like got hit pretty hard by the real estate bubble burst and subsequent recession, and these particular friends had to declare bankruptcy in 2009.) We ended up drawing up a lease to own agreement with them, and apply their monthly payments to our mortgage. We lost over $100k on that house, but at least we know it's in the hands of people who love it and will take care of it. Still, as it sits now, we have two mortgages, we are house poor because great school districts inflate property values considerably, and the debt is psychologically DRAINING, if you know what I mean. We don't want the responsibility of maintaining insurance, mortgages, and property taxes on two huge houses that we don't live in, and we are hesitant to consider it an investment property after the huge loss we took on the previous house. Life would be so much simpler if we could sell this place and pay off all of our debts.

TLDR; We got burned during the recession and want to be mortgage free.
Glad your significant other is on the same page. I've been trying to convince my wife to be a travel nurse and full time rv for awhile and "road school" our daughter to no avail. She's doesn't have the gypsy soul I do. We're in the same predicament as you regarding the house though. Bought into the good school district. As parents though we feel it's our responsibility to give our daughter the best tools and environment to grow up in, especially in this morally screwed up day and age!
We don't plan on being in the house for the rest of our lives, but it is financially and mentally draining paying all the bills every month (mortgage, flood insurance, utilities, etc, etc, etc). The industry has touted home ownership as "The American Dream" for almost 100yrs now. People are finally opening their eyes and realizing it's not a dream but in many cases a nightmare that holds you down. Once she graduates and is on her own all bets are off!
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 03:18 PM   #12
Almost There

Honestly, I think he's a little frightened to come between me and a project I've set my heart on. He's seen me in "crazy project mode" before and I sort of turn into this...

o_O

In all fairness, he's an adventurous guy with big dreams and a desire to travel, so I'm super lucky. We agreed to rent an RV for a week or two to make sure we're both as cool with tiny spaces as we hope we are. Wouldn't it be awkward if I'm the one who turned claustrophobic? So we'll see how that goes... Either way, we are both completely solid on the idea of downsizing significantly. Maintaining a 4000+ sq. ft. house takes up too much time and energy, and there's so much out there we could be seeing and doing instead.

We took one of those Facebook quizzes about how well you know your spouse yesterday, and one of the questions was, "If they were to collect anything, what would it be?" He said I would collect memories. I think he gets me. <3
mysty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 03:34 PM   #13

OMG someone similar to me! I do a lot of costuming as well and have a lot of experience with all the random materials that go along with it. Lots of DIY experience and have learned a lot of mechanical and body work over the year. I would say I am finally hitting that reality of what I can do, what I can learn and what I should hire out. (Normally comes to cost of tools and space, or the fact I am small female and sometimes just finding a smart solution is not possible and it takes strength) I only buys tools now I know I will use a lot. But all the special stuff if I cant borrow it I hire the job out now. When I do hire out work, I normally look for someone that does not mind me hanging around and asking questions. With all this in mind I still find i can tackle anything I put my mind to (just have to be more flexible) I just do more and more research now before a project then I use to.

I find I am researching the bus (tiny home) in a way to live more free and reduce debt. Its been in the back of my mind for about 3 years. Its been more of a focus research now due to my kids ages too and wanting more experiences with them, not stuff.

I have a history of wanderlust, living out of my car, going over seas, backpacking. I settled down after I married to live a traditional life for my children but feel now is the time to balance more of what I am vs what is expected of me.

My question to you is how to do you plan to fit all the materials and tools used in cosplay with a family in a bus! I have racked my head over this for awhile now and wonder your thoughts. I tend to pack rat supplies. One of the pages in my note book is a list of Needs, and Wants for each *creative outlet I do. I worry about traveling with my sewing machines they are so super sensitive to bounces.

Anyway I am glad to read your thread I feel happy to find someone with similarities.
Soft Kiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 03:47 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soft Kiss View Post
OMG someone similar to me! I do a lot of costuming as well and have a lot of experience with all the random materials that go along with it. Lots of DIY experience and have learned a lot of mechanical and body work over the year. I would say I am finally hitting that reality of what I can do, what I can learn and what I should hire out. (Normally comes to cost of tools and space, or the fact I am small female and sometimes just finding a smart solution is not possible and it takes strength) I only buys tools now I know I will use a lot. But all the special stuff if I cant borrow it I hire the job out now. When I do hire out work, I normally look for someone that does not mind me hanging around and asking questions. With all this in mind I still find i can tackle anything I put my mind to (just have to be more flexible) I just do more and more research now before a project then I use to.

I find I am researching the bus (tiny home) in a way to live more free and reduce debt. Its been in the back of my mind for about 3 years. Its been more of a focus research now due to my kids ages too and wanting more experiences with them, not stuff.

I have a history of wanderlust, living out of my car, going over seas, backpacking. I settled down after I married to live a traditional life for my children but feel now is the time to balance more of what I am vs what is expected of me.

My question to you is how to do you plan to fit all the materials and tools used in cosplay with a family in a bus! I have racked my head over this for awhile now and wonder your thoughts. I tend to pack rat supplies. One of the pages in my note book is a list of Needs, and Wants for each *creative outlet I do. I worry about traveling with my sewing machines they are so super sensitive to bounces.

Anyway I am glad to read your thread I feel happy to find someone with similarities.
The internet, and Youtube in particular, are great to learn pretty much anything you need. If it's been done then someone has usually filmed it and put it out there.
As far as stuff, consider outfitting a cargo trailer for your workshop and a place to hold your supplies. You can tow it behind the bus. Just one idea.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:23 PM   #15
Almost There

If I can sew a costume or piece together a wig and lighting on the floor of a hotel room - and I'm embarrassed to admit I've done this on the first day of more than one convention - then I figure I can find a way to get creative on the road. That said, most of my crafting supplies are probably going to find new homes with friends and family, and my favorites will either go to storage or I will entrust them to my mom for safekeeping. I will also be setting a hard limit of one project at a time for myself (that will be the REAL challenge!) If I only keep supplies for one project at a time, I believe I can make it work.

I have a 10'x10' sunshade/pavilion thing that I plan on taking with us, and some folding tables that I like to hope I can store under the bus while traveling, so when it comes to actually making something, I'll set up a portable studio outside. Natural light is so much better to work in anyway! I'm not sure about bringing the serger and computerized sewing machine on the road - they might go live at my mom's house for a while, but a basic sewing machine should travel just fine.

One more benefit of traveling is that I have friends who cosplay in just about every corner of the country. I have already been invited to come visit and they would love to have a sewing party. I'll bring the wine, and they can provide the room to work! ;)
mysty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:30 PM   #16

I love the idea of a pull behind work studio, but I am sure we will be towing a van. The wine and sewing party sounds like a more fun way to do it lol. I will have to really evaluate that money that type of work brings in vs needed space for a family.
Soft Kiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:41 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Sewing machine storage ideas

Another idea for your sewing machines: build them into the furniture of the bus so they store underneath and/or inside tables, cabinets, etc. You could design and build a dining table the the machine stores underneath, as well as having table top extensions that come out when needed to give you the proper work area.
Find creative locations to store rolls of fabric inside the bus or maybe install a rack on the roof with a waterproof box that can hold the fabric rolls and other supplies. Wouldn't have to be very tall.....just high enough to hold a few rolls for projects in progress.
Old 04-09-2016, 12:36 AM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
dgorila1
What do you think about a loom in my bus?
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:17 AM   #19
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Robin,

Il-loom-inate us on your idea............

The pun was BEGGING me to get out!

M1031
Old 04-09-2016, 07:11 AM   #20
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
dgorila1
What do you think about a loom in my bus?
Hmmmmm, a loom. You could make the bed fold up and underneath a loom could fold up or down. ANYTHING is possible with a hammer, duct tape, 5 stripped wood screws, a rusty nail, a case of beer and a skoolie!