Old 04-26-2016, 11:06 AM   #71
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I would more likely buy a bus down south and drive it up north to ohio as you are much more likely to find a bus that has less rust issues down south than you are in ohio..

I live here and see the way MANY busses look after as few years.. I got Crazy lucky / (unlucky?) in that my bus originally came from ohio.. but ended up in florida for sale.. so I'll drive it back to its home.. LOL.. but ohio is not a kind state to the bodies of busses..

that said, Ohio *IS* a good place t ofind Mechanically sound busses as the inspections here to run school busses are some of the Toughest , so busses with very recent inspection stickers are probably in pretty decent shape running-wise..

once you get a bus here, its pretty easy to title / register it as an RV.. (bed..frig..cook(micro is fine)..table) and thats all thats required.. no plumbing required..

if its under 26,000 GVWR and has less than 16 Seating positions you can believe it or not register it as a car / van.. then no CDL required. No CDL required in ohio on an RV either.. even with air-brakes.. (at least thats what I did with the last one)...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:18 AM   #72
Almost There

My stepdad said he sees them everywhere up there, and that no one bothers to get a CDL. They seem to be a little more picky about that down here in Georgia, though. Several of the Craigslist ads I've looked at state that you must have a CDL to test drive the bus. If I can find one already titled as an RV, I can probably avoid it, but those are few and far between.

I do have a couple of friends with CDLs, so I was hoping I could maybe persuade one of them to come with me to test drive it, and then accompany me to the DDS to take my road test if I end up buying down here. Buses do tend to cost a little more down here, but I haven't been able to truly compare the condition of those buses, since I'm not seriously shopping yet - just doing a little research while getting the house ready to sell. If I go shopping up there, I will take my stepdad with me to help inspect before I buy.
mysty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:36 AM   #73
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysty View Post
My stepdad said he sees them everywhere up there, and that no one bothers to get a CDL. They seem to be a little more picky about that down here in Georgia, though. Several of the Craigslist ads I've looked at state that you must have a CDL to test drive the bus. If I can find one already titled as an RV, I can probably avoid it, but those are few and far between.

I do have a couple of friends with CDLs, so I was hoping I could maybe persuade one of them to come with me to test drive it, and then accompany me to the DDS to take my road test if I end up buying down here. Buses do tend to cost a little more down here, but I haven't been able to truly compare the condition of those buses, since I'm not seriously shopping yet - just doing a little research while getting the house ready to sell. If I go shopping up there, I will take my stepdad with me to help inspect before I buy.
I tend to over-think things.. and was freaking over a lot of this stuff at one point.. but yeah there are schoolies Everywhere up here.. many of them still yellow and they arent supposed to be.. go to any ohio state buckeyes game and plenty of busses titled as RV's still with all their seats and just black rattle can over the word "school" and "stop" and the beacons...

im siure its like anywhere.. IF you get stopped and the officer wants to be serious about it you can get in trouble.. but my guess is as long as you arent driving recklessly or parking your bus where it shouldnt be or treast the officer like crap, you will probably be fine.. but thats just an Opinion.. not fact...

no one ever said a word or stopped me or questioned that my last bus was registered as a passenger car / van .. DOT never gave me a second look even parked at rest areas.. I also didnt drive that bus near as much as I plan to drive this one..

-Christopher
Old 04-26-2016, 12:02 PM   #74
Almost There

It can all be a little overwhelming at the start, that's for sure! I am trying to make sure I cover my... umm... bases. ;)

That said, you're probably correct - it's unlikely I would get stopped and hassled about it while on the road. I do, however, have a few persnickety neighbors who seem to have nothing better to do than spy on the neighborhood looking for things to complain about. We've had the compliance office called on us for "litter" in our fenced in backyard after a storm blew a tree down and we didn't have it chopped up and cleared within a week - over the Thanksgiving holiday, when the weather decided to send Georgia some sleet. The officer was as nice as could be, totally understood, and we were not cited. However, it was still vexing to know that someone was petty enough to call over such a thing in the first place.

Another neighbor got a visit from a compliance officer just this year when they bought a new camper. They had planned on laying a nice gravel parking area for it, but the officer was kind enough to let them know that such measures weren't necessary, so guess what camper is now sitting proudly on its code compliant pavers? ;)

I'm sure the moment a bus shows up in my driveway, I can expect a visit from my friendly neighborhood compliance officer, and I'd like to make sure all my ducks are in a row, you know?
Old 04-26-2016, 12:06 PM   #75
Almost There

Of course, if we sell the house as intended, the bus would end up parked at a storage facility anyway, so uppity neighbors become a moot point!
Old 04-26-2016, 12:32 PM   #76
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysty View Post
Of course, if we sell the house as intended, the bus would end up parked at a storage facility anyway, so uppity neighbors become a moot point!

my neighbors never gave a care about me bringing a bus home previously.. however the HOA Nazis did..

stating no commercial vehicles actively being "used" (ie delivery truck delivering).. or RV's were to be parked on the streets or driveway...

until I brought up the fact everyone else was doing it.. including the nice shiny SWAT van brought home each night by the officer... and the statute should apply to EVERYONE... including the nice man who just fixed her garage door late at night because his truck was there...

not a word was ever said about my Bus ever again.. though I didnt leave it there long periods of time.. i had a storage spot for it.. but the storage place made it clear that anything more than washing / cleaning and general startup / shutdown work was NOT to be done on premises..

-Christopher
Old 04-26-2016, 01:38 PM   #77
Bus Crazy

Chassis: '97 BB TC1000, 5.9l
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
Ten years ago when I was living in the city I had a nasty neighbor who's mother worked at the Police station. If I parked on the street and opened the hood or any vehicle she would have a code enforcement officer there within 20 minutes. That was often motivation to work quickly. If you're legal, insurance and tags, there isn't much they can do about a privately owned bus or any other vehicle. I did have a little trouble when I had two buses in town. It turned out my x-wife was also calling the code enforcement about me while we were still married.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:01 PM   #78
Almost There

Today I drove to Gainesville to meet up with some friends who are truck drivers for a living (they were a husband and wife team, although she recently retired and he only drives regionally now). I got to ask all sorts of questions about engines, transmissions, maintenance, and life on the road. He showed me the insides of a couple different trucks so I could see all the different parts and what sort of things to look for when inspecting a bus. He also gave me the book he used to study for his CDL complete with highlighting and notes, and told me what phrases to memorize if I decide to take the exam. (Never say something is "ok" - the instructor wants to hear that things are securely attached and appear to be in good condition.)

I was expecting to be a little intimidated by all the stuff to check out, but it actually was pretty straightforward. He confirmed a lot of things I'd already read online (mostly thanks to you guys!) and it was good to see a few engines in person. I also learned that the big trucks use Diesel Exhaust Fluid - DEF for short - to make the exhaust cleaner. This is not something I'd read about in buses, but it may be because most of the buses I've seen converted are older and it's still a relatively new technology. Do any of you have a DEF tank on your bus? He also showed me the air compressors and explained that condensation builds up inside of them and needs to be drained periodically. (There was a little drainage valve on the compressor, so it's pretty simple to do.) That was also news to me. Overall, I'm feeling a little more confident now.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:04 PM   #79
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I would more likely buy a bus down south and drive it up north to ohio as you are much more likely to find a bus that has less rust issues down south than you are in ohio..

I live here and see the way MANY busses look after as few years.. I got Crazy lucky / (unlucky?) in that my bus originally came from ohio.. but ended up in florida for sale.. so I'll drive it back to its home.. LOL.. but ohio is not a kind state to the bodies of busses..

that said, Ohio *IS* a good place t ofind Mechanically sound busses as the inspections here to run school busses are some of the Toughest , so busses with very recent inspection stickers are probably in pretty decent shape running-wise..

once you get a bus here, its pretty easy to title / register it as an RV.. (bed..frig..cook(micro is fine)..table) and thats all thats required.. no plumbing required..

if its under 26,000 GVWR and has less than 16 Seating positions you can believe it or not register it as a car / van.. then no CDL required. No CDL required in ohio on an RV either.. even with air-brakes.. (at least thats what I did with the last one)...

-Christopher
I still find it crazy that you bought a bus all the way down here, but its an ohio bus!
Old 06-06-2016, 03:55 PM   #80
Almost There

It's been over a month since I checked in, so I figured it would be good to post an update - we are STILL decluttering. I'm pretty sure we have gotten rid of at least a bus-load of stuff already. (I'd estimate about half of our possessions, not counting the furniture.) It's liberating to get rid of so much stuff, but my goodness, there's a lot of it! Surprisingly, my extended family are having a harder time with this than we are - my aunt keeps threatening to drive down to Georgia to collect all the stuff we're getting rid of, and my mom keeps telling me things I'm not allowed to get rid of (she did offer to let me keep them at her house if necessary.)

A friend mentioned a charity called "Foster Cares" that takes toys and children's items and gives them to families with foster children. My younger daughter is now super eager to give her toys away, and my older daughter has already finished cleaning out her room. (She is travelling most of the summer, so worked extra hard to get it done before she left!) I'm so proud of both of them!

I'd really like to start looking for our bus within the next month, but I've promised my husband I'll wait until we get the house on the market. We are working day and night to get it "show ready" so we can list it.

Seeing pictures of all of the conversions here is helping us stay motivated. We can't wait to start our own conversion thread! Thanks again for all of the encouragement and inspiration!