Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2016, 07:46 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: TBD
Longtime Lurker, First Time Posting!

I finally decided to register and start some dialog! I love the information I've been able to find on here, and I LOVE that everyone seems pretty well mannered on here. I am in the "research" phase for my skoolie project. I have about $2500 in debt that I need to pay off in the next 6 months so i can truly be "free." My goal is to build a skoolie to live full time in. over the next 6 months I will be deciding my wants vs needs. the bus I find will highly determine what I can do, so nothing is set in stone until I get one. after much research I'm thinking a RE bus is the way to go even though originally it was the opposite of what I wanted. I am living in a friends basement and have quite a bit of room to play with. I'm thinking about putting down painters tape to the rough dimensions of a bus interior and getting an idea of what feng shui works best for me. My must have items are bedroom with privacy, toilet and shower, and wood stove for heat. Let the adventure begin!

Rojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 07:52 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Welcome Rojo the Lurker
So you still need to find a bus? Not a qualification for this site but there will be many people here willing to help you find that perfect RE bus. I prefer FE buses but I'll try not to let that prejudice me against you. Welcome to the pack.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 07:56 PM   #3
Skoolie

Rated Cap: 2+1
Welcome, glad you stepped into the light, as you know there are really great people here,everyone is more than willing to help. Sounds like you have a plan to start. We all just have to keep our eyes on the prize. We too hope to live in our skoolie full time, do so traveling when we can, I myself would like to meet each person on this forum..
I just like to put a face to a name.
Good luck with your build when ever you get started on it..someone I am sure will be around to help if you need it..we all do from time to time.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:11 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

I would love to have a dog nose bus because they are easier to work on, and I love the way they look. Realistically, if I am going to full time it, I will be spending more time in it, then working on it. So space=comfort. Also the larger front window would make for a better drive. I suppose I'm still dreaming at this point, but I feel like I have a solid game plan. Next step is I've been interviewing at RV places so I can have hands on learning with working on all of the things that are in an RV. I can already weld, solder plumbing, fabricate, automotive oriented, (no diesel yet.)
Old 03-13-2016, 08:14 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Suggestion...add your location to your avatar thingie.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:52 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 2000
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 83
Hi Rojo and welcome aboard. I think you are doing the right thing by researching in advance of looking for a bus. All the info is here.Read everything you can. Good luck in your adventure.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:09 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Welcome Rojo the Lurker
So you still need to find a bus? Not a qualification for this site but there will be many people here willing to help you find that perfect RE bus. I prefer FE buses but I'll try not to let that prejudice me against you. Welcome to the pack.
OK why do you prefer an FE? Any input helps!
Old 03-14-2016, 11:22 PM   #8
Bus Geek

I'm sure you've ridden in diesel pickups. They aren't really any noisier than a car going down the highway. It's the same with a FE bus. Once you get going it's not that loud. Also it depends highly on what you have in mind for the back of your bus. If you just want a bed in the back of the bus, you could go either way. If your bus will also be used as a truck, a FE is a big advantage. Got toys?
Old 03-14-2016, 11:28 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Using painter's tape to lay out your floor plan is a great idea!

As you move forward get some cardboard boxes to mock up what will be walls and fixtures.

It is amazing how sometimes something on paper just won't work in real life. Even moving stuff around a couple of inches can make a big difference in livability. And moving cardboard taped together is much easier than stuff that has been nailed/glued/screwed/welded in place.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:44 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Absolutely, I've even seen people string up yarn to mock up window locations and walls. Cardboard would be nice to really see walls without committing. In these shorter buses inches really count, and I'm still trying to have a small garage in the back.
I think we all squirm with floor plan ideas, but eventually it always seems to go back to the bowling alley.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:25 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

"If your bus will also be used as a truck, a FE is a big advantage. Got toys?"

I have an '82 BRAT with a lift that I take wheeling up in the hills. I maybe be selling it at the end of the season to help purchase my bus. I do have a second car that I was thinking of towing behind the bus for getting around town. Any reason I can't tow with an RE bus?
Old 03-15-2016, 12:33 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoolydoo View Post
Welcome, glad you stepped into the light, as you know there are really great people here,everyone is more than willing to help. Sounds like you have a plan to start. We all just have to keep our eyes on the prize. We too hope to live in our skoolie full time, do so traveling when we can, I myself would like to meet each person on this forum..
I just like to put a face to a name.
Good luck with your build when ever you get started on it..someone I am sure will be around to help if you need it..we all do from time to time.
I too would LOVE to meet many of the people on this forum. I am hoping to find some people near me that I can meet and check out their Skoolies. I have met one person that was converting a bread truck. Worked great for him, but I want a little more room
Old 03-15-2016, 07:42 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Check out Charles M... He's a forum member who has a bus company in Denver. He was on HGTV.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 11:42 PM   #14

Year: ntyt
Coachwork: Trying to find a bus
Chassis: Need to figure that out
Engine: more information needed
Rated Cap: 72
Send a message via Skype™ to VOMbooWOP
dude, ill meet up. wont be for about a year or so, but I plan on traveling the country anyway once I'm finished. I would love to check out any other bus conversions possible while I'm on the road
VOMbooWOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:31 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12v
Rated Cap: 78 Passenger
We mocked up the wall layout by hanging sheets with magnets from the ceiling... This was nice as we could quickly move things around, even more so than cardboard and tape.

"What's the matter Col Sanders? Chicken?" -Dark Helmet

lu·di·crous [loo-di-kruhs]
adjective
causing laughter because of absurdity; provoking or deserving derision; ridiculous; laughable

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11840
TheRainbowBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:20 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Small update on my situation. Still doing research while I off my debt, (my only tie to "normal" society). In 4 months I have gone from about $4000, to less than $1700. I have also switched to a job as a lot tech for a Winnebago Dealer so I have a chance to really look at different floor layouts, get an idea of how typical RVs are put together, and I will be able to get a pretty good discount on parts when I start converting. As soon as my debts are paid, I will be selling my "82 Subaru Brat to help fund the Bus.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:15 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
Small update on my situation. Still doing research while I off my debt, (my only tie to "normal" society). In 4 months I have gone from about $4000, to less than $1700. I have also switched to a job as a lot tech for a Winnebago Dealer so I have a chance to really look at different floor layouts, get an idea of how typical RVs are put together, and I will be able to get a pretty good discount on parts when I start converting. As soon as my debts are paid, I will be selling my "82 Subaru Brat to help fund the Bus.
How much for the brat, and does it have the jump seats?
Old 09-12-2016, 02:51 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

I'd like to get $3500. It has the jump seats, topper for the bed, 2" lift, 14" peguot rims, 27/8.5/14 general grabber ATs, 5-spd Dual range trans from the next generation, 2 sets of doors (one set is half doors), spare T-Tops, and an extra motor.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:54 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
I'd like to get $3500. It has the jump seats, topper for the bed, 2" lift, 14" peguot rims, 27/8.5/14 general grabber ATs, 5-spd Dual range trans from the next generation, 2 sets of doors (one set is half doors), spare T-Tops, and an extra motor.
WHoa!
That's rad, man!
Post a pic, if and when ya can!

basically my dream car...
Old 09-13-2016, 12:20 AM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: BB
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 25.999K
Don't Sell the Brat!!!

Those little things are awesome!! You've got to find another way my man!! That also would be the perfect pull-behind vehicle! I have a 1987 Samurai. Little, light, cheap and easy!!! And a big welcome from Utah, Just over the hill.
SDR76 is offline   Reply With Quote