Hey there folks,
I just ran into this site as I'm preparing for my build, and it seems like an awesome resource packed with awesome people.
I'm looking to buy a short schoolbus--hopefully in the next few weeks as I wrap up with graduate school. I intend to make it into my full-time residence. Luckily, I've got a family member who's a contractor (and a bit of a mechanic) with all the tools and space I'll need while I'm building. I hope to spend the next year getting it together and moving in, and then take it out on the road for summer 2016.
A few questions as I'm getting going:
1. What are good resources for buying a bus? I haven't found much more than this:
- Government Surplus Auctions - GovDeals.com
2. I'm guessing that as the public school year is about to end, there will be a bunch of schoolbuses going up for sale. Does anyone have experience trying to purchase from a school system?
3. What is a reasonable mileage for a schoolbus? I'm seeing most of them for sale in the realm of 150,000 - 250,000 miles.
4. Is there anyone near the Raleigh area who might be willing to show me their skoolie? These photos and descriptions online are nice, but nothing beats being able to actually see it person.