Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2015, 06:40 PM   #1

Looking for help starting a short bus conversion

Hey there folks,

I just ran into this site as I'm preparing for my build, and it seems like an awesome resource packed with awesome people.

I'm looking to buy a short schoolbus--hopefully in the next few weeks as I wrap up with graduate school. I intend to make it into my full-time residence. Luckily, I've got a family member who's a contractor (and a bit of a mechanic) with all the tools and space I'll need while I'm building. I hope to spend the next year getting it together and moving in, and then take it out on the road for summer 2016.

A few questions as I'm getting going:

1. What are good resources for buying a bus? I haven't found much more than this:
- Craigslist
- eBay
- Government Surplus Auctions - GovDeals.com

2. I'm guessing that as the public school year is about to end, there will be a bunch of schoolbuses going up for sale. Does anyone have experience trying to purchase from a school system?

3. What is a reasonable mileage for a schoolbus? I'm seeing most of them for sale in the realm of 150,000 - 250,000 miles.

4. Is there anyone near the Raleigh area who might be willing to show me their skoolie? These photos and descriptions online are nice, but nothing beats being able to actually see it person.

Thanks,
ET

ethompson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:06 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
i got my bus off craigslist,do some research on how big you want and what motor trany combo is the best. transit or shutle buses have a higher head room, lots to think about, good luck
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:09 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
There are some nice e350 shuttle vans with the high roof in NC right now on Public Surplus or GovDeals. One even has low mileage and the 7.3.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:30 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethompson66 View Post
I got my bus off fleaBay from a 3rd owner company, but Gov Deals will net you a decent, probably single district (and district maintained) bus for conversion, and you should be able to get all the maintenance records for it.
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:55 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Don't make the mistake of buying a one ton van cutaway bus.

Get a full size chassis, short bus.

Better engines, brakes, load capacity, last longer, way way easier to work on, ect.

At the bus shop we hate the small van buses. Nothing but wiring and engine trouble.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:51 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
^ What Nat said. I used to drive ambulances for a living, van and modular, and they were *all* pains to work on and electrical nightmares.
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 02:16 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
I'll "third" that motion. Get a REAL bus. Not an overpriced custom van.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 03:27 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

The biggest problem with any of the light duty Type 'A' and 'B' buses is there is a lot more bus on top than there is truck underneath.

It is very difficult to do much when you only have about 2,000 lbs. of payload (people, stuff, and furnishings).

A medium duty bus will usually allow a minimum of 3x that amount of payload.

Currently we have for sale some really nice shorter Type 'C' buses that just came out of service. They are 2002 IC CE buses with the T444E engine and Allison automatic transmission. Average mileage in the 150,000 range. Asking price is $4,900.00 and they are all currently in WA state.

http://www.harlowsbussales.com/inventory/

Good luck and happy trails.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 03:35 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
For full time living a short fullsize bus would be better.
But for weekending and general stealth light duty stuff the vans are great.
My friend Ben has well over 300k on his 2003-ish f350. He practically lives in it on the road as a solo musician. For actual travel the vans will save on fuel and attract less attention.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:05 PM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9; MT643
Rated Cap: (was) 44; (now) 2
If you don't like what you see on the public school surplus page, call your local bus garage and just ask when they expect more surplus. We tracked one district in my area for about 6 months and they had several small "surplussings" rather than one big one. Usually, they'll tell you straight when to expect some more but they usually don't know what they'll be getting.

They're better than private party sellers for being able to get service records and often you can talk to the mechanic(s) and get the dope on the surplussed busses. We interviewed one mechanic who directed us straight to the bus he thought was in best condition and told us (plain as you please) why it was the best choice. In the end, it was too short (there are two of us and one of us is 6' tall).

In fact, I'd suggest a newbie like myself start with a trip to the school bus garage to have the opportunity to poke around the buses and talk to the mechanic. They are a wealth of practical information just chatting with them. Watch out for snakes and bees, wear work-type clothes and take some water.

oh, and a measuring tape and note pad...forgot that.
Seroflorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:08 PM   #11

Thanks for all your help everyone.

In the end I went with a full-size schoolbus instead of the shorty. I decided that traveling in my little station wagon is good enough, and I want the skoolie to be parked as a full-time residence.

To anyone else getting started and reading this, I second Seroflorus' comment about going to the local school system bus garage. I ended up buying my 1988 Chevrolet here in NC, and I was able to go and talk to the mechanic who had been working on it for more than a decade. He was super helpful and super nice and pointed me straight towards the bus that was in the best condition. They even provided me service records back to 2005.

Here in North Carolina they list all the county school buses for sale on a single website:
Vehicles

Those are state-owned school buses. Each county owns their own activity buses, which aren't listed online, you just have to call.
ethompson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:53 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: International Navistar DT360
Rated Cap: 60
I'm located in Statesville, a couple hours from you, but if you'd like to see a schoolie-in-progress you're welcome to check out mine. I bought it from a school bus garage in Alamance County.
onenationundergoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 02:17 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethompson66 View Post

Here in North Carolina they list all the county school buses for sale on a single website:
Vehicles

Those are state-owned school buses. Each county owns their own activity buses, which aren't listed online, you just have to call.

they did have a pretty handy little spreadsheet of weights & wheelbases....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Copy of BusWeightChart.pdf (37.6 KB, 9 views)
milkmania is offline   Reply With Quote