Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2018, 08:59 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
I am very happy with my "dog nose" bus. The size is great - 28 feet of happy home.
Click image for larger version

Name:	0fPfP37XT7+zYJ3XaytvwQ.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	403.7 KB
ID:	24470

I have not had any problems driving around - up and down mountains - across the country.

My bus had 297K miles on it - and I have put on 15K miles this year. I drove around Florida for several months - then drove out to Montana - and I have been exploring the west.

Name:	xJBhnJKMQtG2a9GRAyXRhQ.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	377.6 KB
ID:	24473

I have the T444e engine - with the Allison 2000 transmission - and a V8 Turbo diesel (210 HP). It purrs like a really loud kitten.

I am averaging 9.852 MPG.

Name:	IMG_8816.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	380.0 KB
ID:	24474

I hope you find your Happy Bus!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8727.jpg  

Old 07-27-2018, 11:15 AM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
big motor six speed auto .......

Well I assume the sixth gear is unlocked... It might be a little longer than you want.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Internation...0&_stpos=91121
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 11:53 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnakansas View Post
Well I assume the sixth gear is unlocked... It might be a little longer than you want.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Internation...0&_stpos=91121
I doubt it has 6th open in a school bus. My DT466 will do 85 in 5th, I need 6th open for better fuel mileage.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 01:25 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I doubt it has 6th open in a school bus. My DT466 will do 85 in 5th, I need 6th open for better fuel mileage.
My Cat will do at least 80 in 4th!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 03:32 PM   #25
Skoolie

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84lug
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileendc88 View Post
Hello Skoolie.net,

My husband and I have been dreaming up a skoolie of our own for half a year now. After tons of videos, websites and guides we decided to take the plunge a couple of months back. However, we have had a hard time finding a bus in CA and deciding on a bus in general.

About us, we are professionals in the tech field. My husband has some small experience with mechanical stuff but we would be learning most everything as we go. We are clueless about what the best bus would be but here are some links that show the general size/shape of the bus we are looking for:

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...02&acctid=6286
https://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/au...ew?auc=2128891
https://www.commercialtrucktrader.co...Ce--5001956614

We would love to get the bus as close as we can to us as we would need to have it delivered if we ordered from back east. Also, we are looking for a general road trip / camper vehicle and not primarily to live in.

A few things we really need help with to start.
1. Choosing the correct bus/engine/tranny/etc, we know nothing about any of that. We aren't picky and want the best we can get as we would love for this to last as long as it can. We are looking for an auto tranny and are open to just about everything else. We are budgeting around 6K to buy the bus and this is flexible for the perfect bus.

2. Work space is really hard to find. If anyone knows anywhere in/near South bay where we can rent space to work on the bus that would be awesome.

3. Finding a bus in CA has been really hard for us. We find tons back east but none that are in CA that are the shape/size we are looking for. Any help locating a bus near us is appreciated as well!

Finally, would love any tips/advice that anyone would love to share with us. We have been snooping through the forum here and various blogs and would appreciate additional links and to hear from your experience.

Thanks for reading!
- Aileen & Ryan
We are only a few months ahead in our conversion... so we have only just recently tackled some of the issues you are about to deal with. Everyone on this forum is amazing.. its a wonderful resource. If I can be of any help let me know or my videos of the early processes may help (when you sort through the quirky family antics in the vids). Welcome to Skoolie.net and congrats in advance on fulfilling a dream!
Old 07-27-2018, 05:44 PM   #26
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Rescuer View Post
I am very happy with my "dog nose" bus. The size is great - 28 feet of happy home.
Attachment 24470

I have not had any problems driving around - up and down mountains - across the country.

My bus had 297K miles on it - and I have put on 15K miles this year. I drove around Florida for several months - then drove out to Montana - and I have been exploring the west.

Attachment 24473

I have the T444e engine - with the Allison 2000 transmission - and a V8 Turbo diesel (210 HP). It purrs like a really loud kitten.

I am averaging 9.852 MPG.

Attachment 24474

I hope you find your Happy Bus!
Roger, Nice Bus. Is that the Subaru Crosstrek? Do you like? How is TOAD with a bus?
fadderall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 12:08 AM   #27
Bus Nut

Hanks! I love my house-bus!
The bus pulls my Subaru Crosstrek with no issues. And I love the Crosstrek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadderall View Post
Roger, Nice Bus. Is that the Subaru Crosstrek? Do you like? How is TOAD with a bus?
Old 07-28-2018, 01:53 AM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

@Dog Rescuer Thanks for sharing! We are looking for a bus similar to that! Where did you get it if you don't mind me asking?

@magnakansas Ya, it is longer and we are looking for a conventional bus. But thanks a lot for sharing!

@HappyInTN Thanks!

*Update*

We found some land and worked out a deal that will let us work on and store the bus for $300 per month in San Jose. Includes electricity and some tools. About 30 minutes drive from us. Now we just need a bus! We are still looking. Found a couple on govdeals but we let them go as there were some unknowns we were uncomfortable with.

Please let us know if you guys spot a bus that fits what we are looking for. My husband put up a thread here to ask for help finding a bus: http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f14/lt...red-23573.html

Thanks again for all the help!
aileendc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 04:45 AM   #29
Bus Geek

Quote:
@Dog Rescuer Thanks for sharing! We are looking for a bus similar to that! Where did you get it if you don't mind me asking?

@magnakansas Ya, it is longer and we are looking for a conventional bus. But thanks a lot for sharing!

@HappyInTN Thanks!

*Update*

We found some land and worked out a deal that will let us work on and store the bus for $300 per month in San Jose. Includes electricity and some tools. About 30 minutes drive from us. Now we just need a bus! We are still looking. Found a couple on govdeals but we let them go as there were some unknowns we were uncomfortable with.

Please let us know if you guys spot a bus that fits what we are looking for. My husband put up a thread here to ask for help finding a bus: http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f14/lt...red-23573.html

Roger is one of the lucky few who's new subaru doesn't burn oil.
My Crosstrek is the worst car I've ever owned. And you all know I've owned a ton of vehicles!

I've owned buses that use less oil than my sube.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:56 AM   #30
Bus Nut

Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Quote:
...We found some land and worked out a deal that will let us work on and store the bus for $300 per month in San Jose...
$300?! I was grousing over $60 a month for storage! Tools and the ability to work on it are worth a lot, of course... and it IS Silicon Valley. Y'all live in a different world. (More power to ya, of course - it's just been 42 years since I've lived there.)
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 07:14 AM   #31
Bus Nut

I tried bidding on a few through PublicSurplus - but ended up at the Tampa Bus Market (used bus dealer in Florida) - I paid a bit more - but would do it again - I was able to test drive a few and check out different styles.

28 feet was perfect for me - the bus just got in my back yard. I was able to work on it there and finish converting it before selling my house.

Quote:

Old 07-28-2018, 08:02 AM   #32
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: 230 HP DT 466e/MT 643!
Rated Cap: 16
How funny! We also got ours at Tampa Bus Market. Same experience. While we paid more than an auction, we also were able to test drive a few, look around, ask questions. He was very helpful. Even said to call him if we had any issues on the trip home and he would help us out.

John
johnbloem1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 01:25 PM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapplecreek View Post
$300?! I was grousing over $60 a month for storage! Tools and the ability to work on it are worth a lot, of course... and it IS Silicon Valley. Y'all live in a different world. (More power to ya, of course - it's just been 42 years since I've lived there.)
lol that is a deal here. Some people were quoting us at $800 or more!

Tampa is too far from us. Unless we can somehow ship it?
Old 07-28-2018, 02:46 PM   #34
Bus Geek

NO reason to buy a high priced low spec bus in Florida for full retail.
You folks are out west. The buses are MUCH nicer out there.
FL bus dealers are a joke.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:53 PM   #35
Bus Nut

Publicsurplus.com
We bought a 25’ amtrans handicap bus dt466 (175hp) 140k miles - Allison trans 25900 gvw. Flew to Kentucky and drove it home. Been driving it for three years puta rear main seal in it at 145k. Which is common for the 466 . Converted it into a Motorhome and registered it as a motorhome. Paid under 5k - Go for it- fly out and drive it back- schools keep great care of their busses. 9months before I bought mine it was carrying kids. 5 yrs or maintenance records, they offered me 10 yrs. press on!
Dirtdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 07:52 PM   #36
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/Allison
Rated Cap: 74
I agree RE's are much easier to work on than FE's
Old 07-29-2018, 12:17 AM   #37
Bus Nut

We are in Hollister, if you have any questions I’d be glad to answer for you. I have a fleet of commercial trucks including fire trucks dump trucks flatbeds and a school bus. Plus we’re close.
Jack dirtdoctorjak@aol.com
Dirtdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 11:01 AM   #38
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtdoctor View Post
We are in Hollister, if you have any questions I’d be glad to answer for you. I have a fleet of commercial trucks including fire trucks dump trucks flatbeds and a school bus. Plus we’re close.
Jack dirtdoctorjak@aol.com
Thanks! Will shoot you an email.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. The hunt continues!
Old 07-29-2018, 04:49 PM   #39
Mini-Skoolie

What we are looking for

Thanks @Dirtdoctor! We sent you an email.

For anyone else who can help, here is some additional information we have come up with and sent to Dirtdcotor:
Our problem:
  • Knowing whether a bus is good to buy
  • Finding that bus

We are looking for something very similar to this but it is too far away: 422 Auction Services - Mathies & Sons, Inc.

What we would like:
  • Under 26000 GVWR.
  • Able to pass emissions/inspections in CA with little to no work.
  • Around ~30 ft long max.
  • Conventional - we heard these are better for short buses. We are open on this.
  • Automatic.
  • Able to pull a jeep.
  • Good to take off the road if needed. Nothing crazy just back roads and hills kind of thing.
  • No mechanic work needed. Nothing like replace x or needs a jump or makes a noise kind of issues.
  • Hydraulic brakes - We were told that you need a certificate for air brakes so thought it wasnt worth the hassle for a small bus.
  • As low miles as possible but preferably around 150 k max. We would like for there to be a lot of life life in the engine.

We can find some buses that we are interested in but every single one was too far away for us to go get. That is why we are looking for something closer to us in CA or as far out as 1-2 states.

Any help is really appreciated.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:26 PM   #40
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
this seems pretty close to what you want

https://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/d/...626575364.html

saw this, thought of you