Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2018, 03:15 PM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnakansas View Post
Sold by a REAL salesman lol-

Quote:
Automatic Allison Transmission AT-545 (bulletproof)

If this bus is ten grand then I'll gladly sell my new shorty for only 3/4 that price!

Quote:
-Agile tactical vehicle with tight turning radius - turns like a Toyota sienna

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:53 PM   #42
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbloem1974 View Post
How funny! We also got ours at Tampa Bus Market. Same experience. While we paid more than an auction, we also were able to test drive a few, look around, ask questions. He was very helpful. Even said to call him if we had any issues on the trip home and he would help us out.

John

It was nice to be able to go back for parts and help with the bus - I would certainly go back without hesitation.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:35 PM   #43
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
THANK YOU!!!!

We are VERY interest in this. Arizona is close enough for us to go get it.

I am sorry for bothering but would someone who knows more about these things mind checking these stats and let us know if this is a good bus. We think it is good but not sure as it is an older bus than we have been looking at:

91 International 3700
33,000 miles (I bought it at 11,000)
7.3L IDI diesel engine with aftermarket turbo (this is the same engine and turbo as the 94 ford truck)
7 3/4 MPG
Air brakes
Air ride seats for driver and passenger
Air Horn
23' 5" long
aileendc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:32 PM   #44
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by aileendc88 View Post
THANK YOU!!!!

We are VERY interest in this. Arizona is close enough for us to go get it.

I am sorry for bothering but would someone who knows more about these things mind checking these stats and let us know if this is a good bus. We think it is good but not sure as it is an older bus than we have been looking at:

91 International 3700
33,000 miles (I bought it at 11,000)
7.3L IDI diesel engine with aftermarket turbo (this is the same engine and turbo as the 94 ford truck)
7 3/4 MPG
Air brakes
Air ride seats for driver and passenger
Air Horn
23' 5" long
First and foremost- that's NOT much bus for the money. The 545 is NOT "bulletproof".
Old 07-30-2018, 08:33 PM   #45
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
First and foremost- that's NOT much bus for the money. The 545 is NOT "bulletproof".
Oh OK, is that not a good transmission? What would be a good price for the bus if everything else is good on it?
Old 07-30-2018, 08:39 PM   #46
Bus Geek

Quote:
Oh OK, is that not a good transmission? What would be a good price for the bus if everything else is good on it?
Its the bottom of the barrel as far as bus transmissions go. Its in all the low spec route buses found in flat areas.

That's a $3500 bus, IMO.
I've got a 99 Thomas with a Cat 3126 and a remanufactured 545. The bus only has 64k miles and 3300 hours. The transmission has already been replaced on a bus with LOW hours/use.
I've had 3 buses with 545's and the transmission is always a disappointment.
It can be upgraded, but I'd rather start with a bus with more engine.
If just tooling around town, that bus would be alright for about half the asking price.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:47 PM   #47
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
What's funny is anyone who knows anything about trannys knows thats far from the truth. So he's either ignorant or intentionally trying to get over on me and is lying about every detail. And it was only driven to church on sunday by his grandmother.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:03 PM   #48
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
lol that is a deal here. Some people were quoting us at $800 or more!

Tampa is too far from us. Unless we can somehow ship it?
I could probably find $60 if I drove an hour but I would be shocked to find $300/mo closer than that. If I couldn't put Mobi in the driveway it would never work for us.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:14 PM   #49
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
I wonder how he towed his trailer with that tranny from AK to AZ. Might be on its last legs no matter what he says.

And able to pull 12k pounds..that has to be hard on those trannys.
The rest of the bus seems ideal to me though for what you need/want.
make a lowball offer and see what happens. Like low enough that you have room for a new or rebuilt tranny.

My 2 centavos,

John
Old 07-30-2018, 10:39 PM   #50
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
aileenncd

Okay, so you are getting mixed feelings from this side of the skoolie forums.

I see as pluses,

1) it is short
2) big chassis - handle dirt roads no probelm
3) engine - common,parts cheaper, more mechanics know the motor and the engines problems.
4) not school bus yellow - you dont have to paint it
5)tow hitch already there
6) two air ride seats -- comfy with a stiff bus suspension cost new for a cheap one is $500 each
7) air horn, frivolous but what a blast, pun intended.
back up camera
9) dual fuel tanks- go a long way away off the beaten path and still have fuel. Also means you can run heater that burns diesel- have hot water and warmth. as long as you have bettery power and diesel fuel.
10) that tie down "E" track at the rear back walls - useful stuff that is.

cons,

1)not a great fan of that transmission on anything but flat land..$2000 if you can take the time to find one used find a deal on getting it installed and working. At least lock up torque converter. four speeds if not five or six.
2) unknown rear end ratio -can be changed if needed $1000
3) more expensive - Many here are working very cheap low cost budgets. I think so many things are going for this, IF and only IF.... If time is more important than anything else. You gonna pay more. If you can afford it. Do it.

I am not your usually skoolie person. I have a time line to move with. I cannot afford to wait to get this done. I am willing to spend $3000 to have my bus moved next week, $4000 for a fresh rebuilt six speed manual transmission, $900 for the 3.73 rear end gears I think will me best fuel mileage -- as if I should care about mileage hell I am spending like a mad man... wait ... I am a mad man. a twelve year old mad man with grand kids to haul around the country and I want to do this this summer... not two years from now. $3000 for a donor pick up to give what a need to swap in the engine I want. $1200 for the truck that gives me the chassis 2005 year to replace a 1954 chassis. Tough to find parts on the road for 1954 vs 2005.
$5000 on a air bag rear suspension -- smooth smooth ride, more like cadillac than truck/bus. So I come at this from a different perpective. I can afford to do it my way no compromises. I think this one is so close to matching all that you want.

The first biggie issue 1) can you afford it? Is $7500 too high? Second big issue 2) can you afford to put in the transmission that can give you more dependability/ drivability?

I don't have a feel for what kind of person you are and what is acceptable. Only you can do that. But, I will add, if you have even a hint of "bad karma" kinda thing about a big purchase like this... do not do it.

I have learned " there is always a better deal" always,, it just depends how far down the road I find it. The next day or ten years.... dunno.

but there really is a better deal down the road, always.

call if you want 785 207 7600

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:15 PM   #51
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Here is a question for discussion. If the bus has to pass California emissions test. Will an older engine pass this test or would it have to be newer with evils of egr, def or dpf? I have no idea how CA regs are.

Ted

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:18 PM   #52
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Okay, so you are getting mixed feelings from this side of the skoolie forums.

I see as pluses,

1) it is short
2) big chassis - handle dirt roads no probelm
3) engine - common,parts cheaper, more mechanics know the motor and the engines problems.
4) not school bus yellow - you dont have to paint it
5)tow hitch already there
6) two air ride seats -- comfy with a stiff bus suspension cost new for a cheap one is $500 each
7) air horn, frivolous but what a blast, pun intended.
back up camera
9) dual fuel tanks- go a long way away off the beaten path and still have fuel. Also means you can run heater that burns diesel- have hot water and warmth. as long as you have bettery power and diesel fuel.
10) that tie down "E" track at the rear back walls - useful stuff that is.

cons,

1)not a great fan of that transmission on anything but flat land..$2000 if you can take the time to find one used find a deal on getting it installed and working. At least lock up torque converter. four speeds if not five or six.
2) unknown rear end ratio -can be changed if needed $1000
3) more expensive - Many here are working very cheap low cost budgets. I think so many things are going for this, IF and only IF.... If time is more important than anything else. You gonna pay more. If you can afford it. Do it.

I am not your usually skoolie person. I have a time line to move with. I cannot afford to wait to get this done. I am willing to spend $3000 to have my bus moved next week, $4000 for a fresh rebuilt six speed manual transmission, $900 for the 3.73 rear end gears I think will me best fuel mileage -- as if I should care about mileage hell I am spending like a mad man... wait ... I am a mad man. a twelve year old mad man with grand kids to haul around the country and I want to do this this summer... not two years from now. $3000 for a donor pick up to give what a need to swap in the engine I want. $1200 for the truck that gives me the chassis 2005 year to replace a 1954 chassis. Tough to find parts on the road for 1954 vs 2005.
$5000 on a air bag rear suspension -- smooth smooth ride, more like cadillac than truck/bus. So I come at this from a different perpective. I can afford to do it my way no compromises. I think this one is so close to matching all that you want.

The first biggie issue 1) can you afford it? Is $7500 too high? Second big issue 2) can you afford to put in the transmission that can give you more dependability/ drivability?

I don't have a feel for what kind of person you are and what is acceptable. Only you can do that. But, I will add, if you have even a hint of "bad karma" kinda thing about a big purchase like this... do not do it.

I have learned " there is always a better deal" always,, it just depends how far down the road I find it. The next day or ten years.... dunno.

but there really is a better deal down the road, always.

call if you want 785 207 7600

william

Thanks very much, William.

The mixed feedback is one reason we are really confused. We hear different stuff all the time and are trying our best to learn the best lol.

As for us, our budget is more flexible than most. For the right bus we can go higher, 7500 is not a problem.

It may be too high, though, if we pay that much then need to do several of the things you suggested. This bus looks great for us for many of the reasons you listed but we would probably lose a lot of money doing any mechanic work to this as we have no idea how to find parts, mechanics, etc, and will probably not get the best deals. Ultimately, we would prefer a turn key bus that we can just convert. We are willing to pay more for that kind of bus if needed. We want to start with the best bus we can that wont kill our build budget. Dependability and drive-ability are really key.

Total we are willing to go around $20-25 k for everything.

All that said, my husband would love to give you a call at the number you listed. When would be a good time for you? He gets off late on week days but his weekends are usually free.

Thanks again!
Old 07-30-2018, 11:33 PM   #53
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
Here is a question for discussion. If the bus has to pass California emissions test. Will an older engine pass this test or would it have to be newer with evils of egr, def or dpf? I have no idea how CA regs are.

Ted

Ted
That is a good question. We thought that there wasnt an issue with pre 2004 buses. Or is that reverse? lol.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:57 PM   #54
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
That is a good question. We thought that there wasnt an issue with pre 2004 buses. Or is that reverse? lol.
For maintenance and reliability pre 2004 is the best. EGR isn't too bad but dpf and def are very expensive to fix if they fail.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:16 AM   #55
Bus Crazy

retired

and love to talk machines.... 8 am to 12 midnight central time
Old 08-01-2018, 12:12 AM   #56
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
and love to talk machines.... 8 am to 12 midnight central time
Awesome! I will let him know.

I found this bus: 422 Auction Services - Mathies & Sons, Inc.

Would be happy with something a tad bit longer but it looks good to me. Only thing is we would need to have it shipped. Is there a good company that we could use to ship this?
Old 08-01-2018, 02:04 AM   #57
Bus Crazy

shipping

I had mine moved 900 miles and cost me $2500. If you could get the liability insurance arranged, ... fly out, two of you, double team driving back, take two or three days....

you have any time off available?

back up a step... can you get liability on it for the move from Pennsylvania?

The two long wide red stripes - cant be painted like school bus.. figure two stripes along the sides would nix that...

do you have a trusted friend, relative(s) that could drive it home?

weather is about as good as it will ever be for a trip west over the rockies.

you did read that is goes forward and backwards, but nothing is said about shifting gears........right? or quality of transmission?

I am still up

william
Old 08-01-2018, 10:43 AM   #58
Bus Crazy

here is another one

talked to him...says been using on the road for three years or so....heaters working no ac does have tow hitch... used in southern states bible belt
Old 08-01-2018, 11:32 AM   #59
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Awesome! I will let him know.

I found this bus: 422 Auction Services - Mathies & Sons, Inc.

Would be happy with something a tad bit longer but it looks good to me. Only thing is we would need to have it shipped. Is there a good company that we could use to ship this?
Manufactured in 9/05 as an 07 model?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:50 PM   #60
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I had mine moved 900 miles and cost me $2500. If you could get the liability insurance arranged, ... fly out, two of you, double team driving back, take two or three days....

you have any time off available?

back up a step... can you get liability on it for the move from Pennsylvania?

The two long wide red stripes - cant be painted like school bus.. figure two stripes along the sides would nix that...

do you have a trusted friend, relative(s) that could drive it home?

weather is about as good as it will ever be for a trip west over the rockies.

you did read that is goes forward and backwards, but nothing is said about shifting gears........right? or quality of transmission?

I am still up

william
Hey, I am aileendc88's husband. Thanks for all the feedback!

We dont have availability for this amount of time. We would have to have it shipped. No one can get it for us. My brother is stationed in Charleston but he cant drive it home.

I did read the notes. My wife does a lot of the looking and posting since I am usually home very late on week days. She kind of vets stuff for me to look into later on weekends. I can ask all those questions but not sure if anyone thinks shipping a bus is worth it.

And she did tell me about your comment that I could call, would I be able to give you a ring this weekend, William? Would love to ask some questions and pick your brain a bit.

Thanks again to everyone for all their feedback. It is very helpful for us.
rymorris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california, getting started, new bus, newbies, short bus conversion