Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2018, 08:04 PM   #121
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
No clue how accurate that statement is really, some will go that and some won't. Depends on each individual bus' circumstances. Stay with Cat parts, filters and it will keep going likely. If it ain't broke dn't fix it they say so if it runs smooth and shifts smooth then take a chance. I know you don't like the paint or bedguard stuff. That is not the end of the world in changing that to your liking.

As far as what else may be wrong, the chains for example, call and get an estimate from the mfg or shop of your choice.

Looking at the power steering, I would say the leak is from the hose clamp just above the pump. I check clamps at least once a month on any and every vehicle I own. Peace of mind is worth a lot to me. I sure would feel like an idiot if I lost a rad hose because I was too lazy to check them.
Diesel buses are not cars so maintenance is something you had better do on any bus or they will give you heaps of trouble. Unless your pockets are deep, count on doing the maintenance thing, a few minutes can save thousands of dollars and heartache.

Offer 4 g's and work with him. All he can do is say no. But then you find out how motivated he is to sell.

John

Thanks John!

We will reach out to them and see what they say.

On another note, we did find this one really close to us: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto...663427952.html

It is a lot but has a bunch of extras we can probably resale to recoup some cash. Emailing them too, good to have some options.

Thanks everyone! We are getting close now and have learned a ton. We will keep everyone posted on our bus situations.

rymorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:30 PM   #122
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by rymorris View Post
Thanks John!

We will reach out to them and see what they say.

On another note, we did find this one really close to us: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto...663427952.html

It is a lot but has a bunch of extras we can probably resale to recoup some cash. Emailing them too, good to have some options.

Thanks everyone! We are getting close now and have learned a ton. We will keep everyone posted on our bus situations.
I question any owner, who is not the original owner, when they claim that low of mileage. School buses put an average of 12K miles a year. What are the chances of finding a 25 year old bus with only 3 years of mileage on it, compared to the chance that it is highly likely the speedo has been replaced?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 10:55 AM   #123
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I question any owner, who is not the original owner, when they claim that low of mileage. School buses put an average of 12K miles a year. What are the chances of finding a 25 year old bus with only 3 years of mileage on it, compared to the chance that it is highly likely the speedo has been replaced?
I agree. Very questionable claim.

I can't see selling the spare bits for enough to make it worth $16500.

Just my $0.02

Good luck with your quest.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 11:14 AM   #124
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Hours idling in a cold climate is to be expected. That doesn't really hurt anything and can be seen from a lack of leaks beneath the bus. When the engine maintains an even temperature, all the bolts and gaskets hold better than many hot and cold cycles. These have precision mating surfaces so running that many hours has been a good thing in this case.
I wouldn't balk at that at all. Miles aren't too bad either considering its life in the north country.

John
My bus has a lot of hours for the miles but it also has no working glow plugs and was a cold weather bus so it certainly idled a lot. Mobi does not currently start at 80 degrees without an hour on the block heater. In fact I have only ever started Mobi ONCE without the block heater.

Obviously I NEED to replace the glow plugs, but I'm having difficulty verifying the correct glow plug replacements that are good quality but not the OEM $27 each ones from the International dealer. I have the Navistar part # but autolite can't confirm a match, the dealer said he wasn't sure if it was a Motorcraft ZD 10 or 11, the champion people didn't call me back. The Pep boys, autozone and Napa websites don't have my bus as an option in the drop down menus to confirm part fitment.

Augh! Does anyone have advise regarding the best parts source for a 1997 International 3000 rear engine? Ideally my vehicle would appear in the drop down menu!
Old 08-30-2018, 12:44 PM   #125
Bus Crazy

Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2martins View Post
My bus has a lot of hours for the miles but it also has no working glow plugs and was a cold weather bus so it certainly idled a lot. Mobi does not currently start at 80 degrees without an hour on the block heater. In fact I have only ever started Mobi ONCE without the block heater.

Obviously I NEED to replace the glow plugs, but I'm having difficulty verifying the correct glow plug replacements that are good quality but not the OEM $27 each ones from the International dealer. I have the Navistar part # but autolite can't confirm a match, the dealer said he wasn't sure if it was a Motorcraft ZD 10 or 11, the champion people didn't call me back. The Pep boys, autozone and Napa websites don't have my bus as an option in the drop down menus to confirm part fitment.

Augh! Does anyone have advise regarding the best parts source for a 1997 International 3000 rear engine? Ideally my vehicle would appear in the drop down menu!

You do have a problem with needing a block heater at 80f.
You could pull the glow plugs out and take one with you to match up. They can also test the resistance of the old ones. Could be the relay isn't working to power them up though. In any case new ones sure would not hurt, only the pocket book.

Disconnect the batteries and have a go at removing them or just one for now to find out what type is in it. You can do this yourself.

John
Old 08-30-2018, 12:52 PM   #126
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Maybe try entering your info as "International 3800" with that engine. Oreilly's has parts for my buses.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:02 PM   #127
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
glow plugs....

so, remove one of them, see you tube for "how". go to parts store. compare, puchase. Learn how to check resistance with an ohm meter. Learn how to check voltage with an ohm meter. Do this first.

check to see that have voltage to the glow plugs when you first turn on the key.

no voltage to the glow plugs... you have another problem to solve first before you buy anything.

voltage to the glow plugs, do resistance test to all eight glow plugs. Find what the specs are for resistance. remove glow plugs that fail.

there are other ways to test glow plugs with meters... message back if needed

you tube has a lot of this "how to" stuff.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 05:02 PM   #128
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Ya makes sense.

We made an offer on the bu in Paso Robles and were willing to go to 4500.

They rejected it.

Hunt continues. Hopefully we can end our hunt on time by next week.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:19 PM   #129

We had problems getting insurance in Los Angeles. First, I'd get a quote for $500/mo then they'd come back and say it was uninsurable. Finally, I called farmers insurance. He gave me a quote of $143/yr. So naturally, I made sure he understood that this was a bus conversion. So after about 10 minutes of making sure he knew this was an old school bus, he cut me a policy which included full road side service and paid for a tow if need be. All for $143/yr.
jab042806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 02:53 PM   #130
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jab042806 View Post
We had problems getting insurance in Los Angeles. First, I'd get a quote for $500/mo then they'd come back and say it was uninsurable. Finally, I called farmers insurance. He gave me a quote of $143/yr. So naturally, I made sure he understood that this was a bus conversion. So after about 10 minutes of making sure he knew this was an old school bus, he cut me a policy which included full road side service and paid for a tow if need be. All for $143/yr.
That's good to hear thanks for sharing
Old 09-02-2018, 04:56 PM   #131
Bus Crazy

here is one a bit odd ball

But this might suit your needs. if you would want, you could shorten the rear deck and have almost no rear over hang. https://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/d/o...666215853.html

william
Old 09-02-2018, 06:37 PM   #132
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnakansas View Post
But this might suit your needs. if you would want, you could shorten the rear deck and have almost no rear over hang. https://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/d/o...666215853.html

william
That looks really cool! We sent him an email. Thanks William!
Old 09-03-2018, 05:00 PM   #133
Mini-Skoolie

This was his response:

-----
  • 9 Litre International 551 cubic inch
  • Clear title
  • Automatic transmission Allison 643
  • Disc brakes
  • Complete service history from school district
  • No crash damage
  • 34’ Long
  • Widows are not cracked but some were replaced/filled
  • Tire are good condition
  • Dashboard works perfect and all controls for lights and fans
  • Custom cow catcher grill guard, stainless steel ladder to roof rack, custom sunken full size bathtub, solar panels and 12 six volt batteries
-----

We think that is a good bus for us. Now need to figure out how to get there to take a look lol.
Old 09-03-2018, 05:02 PM   #134
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by rymorris View Post
This was his response:

-----
  • 9 Litre International 551 cubic inch
  • Clear title
  • Automatic transmission Allison 643
  • Disc brakes
  • Complete service history from school district
  • No crash damage
  • 34’ Long
  • Widows are not cracked but some were replaced/filled
  • Tire are good condition
  • Dashboard works perfect and all controls for lights and fans
  • Custom cow catcher grill guard, stainless steel ladder to roof rack, custom sunken full size bathtub, solar panels and 12 six volt batteries
-----

We think that is a good bus for us. Now need to figure out how to get there to take a look lol.
34' is a lot of bus for a 9.0 International.
Plus those engines are pretty much obsolete these days.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:17 PM   #135
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
34' is a lot of bus for a 9.0 International.
Plus those engines are pretty much obsolete these days.
Even if we plan to cut off a good portion of the back? Sucks to hear that the engine isnt good. It is one of our biggest concerns.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:29 PM   #136
Bus Crazy

Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
70,000 miles is hardly broke in. That may have lots of life left in it. The total bus has a lot going for it.
Sure hope you can get out to see it and drive it.

Would you shorten it though? hardly worth while, lots of people would love that flatbed just the way it is.
Engine swap wouldn't be too hard in future if needed, but hey, they aren't race cars. That should lumber along for a lot more miles with proper care.
Seeing that makes me want to build one. Would jump at the chance at that money, but that's just me.

How far away is it to drive it home?

My 2 cents,
John
Old 09-03-2018, 09:25 PM   #137
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
70,000 miles is hardly broke in. That may have lots of life left in it. The total bus has a lot going for it.
Sure hope you can get out to see it and drive it.

Would you shorten it though? hardly worth while, lots of people would love that flatbed just the way it is.
Engine swap wouldn't be too hard in future if needed, but hey, they aren't race cars. That should lumber along for a lot more miles with proper care.
Seeing that makes me want to build one. Would jump at the chance at that money, but that's just me.

How far away is it to drive it home?

My 2 cents,
John
Thats good to hear.

We want a shorter bus because it would be easier for us to drive and we want to tow a compact suv behind it. So, dont want a super long total length.

It is very far from us. About 1700 miles. We would need to fly there to see it and would do that if we felt really confident we would drive it home.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:28 AM   #138
Bus Geek

This one is much better and much closer to you.

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...13&acctid=5213
Old 09-04-2018, 09:28 AM   #139
Bus Crazy

east coast and 551cu in motors

short is one of the main things on the list..... 25 to 28 foot long is a target from what I have seen,

The 551 is an early medium duty diesel. At the time this motor was new, most medium duty trucks used gasoline engines around 425 cu in. The big trucks used engines 12 to 18 liters. early 551 had problems with head gasket design. by the time the head gasket problems were resolve the engine had already earned a poor reputation. there are reports of camshaft failures for this motor, attributed to poor quality - dirty- engine oil.

when these engines were being put into school buses, gasoline engines were more the norm. the 551 compared to a diesel sold ten years later is not very pretty, ten years of development, meant that power outputs and reliability increased.

but, although not going to win any races, this diesel should deliver around 7 to 10 miles to the gallon, probably gonna top out at about 60 to 65 mph.

the plus side? well that transmission should fit other diesels. I would not be afraid of it, but just realize not going to go 70 mph......ever. okay, maybe if the brakes fail or falls off a cliff.

william
Old 09-04-2018, 11:44 AM   #140
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
This one is much better and much closer to you.

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...13&acctid=5213
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnakansas View Post
short is one of the main things on the list..... 25 to 28 foot long is a target from what I have seen,

The 551 is an early medium duty diesel. At the time this motor was new, most medium duty trucks used gasoline engines around 425 cu in. The big trucks used engines 12 to 18 liters. early 551 had problems with head gasket design. by the time the head gasket problems were resolve the engine had already earned a poor reputation. there are reports of camshaft failures for this motor, attributed to poor quality - dirty- engine oil.

when these engines were being put into school buses, gasoline engines were more the norm. the 551 compared to a diesel sold ten years later is not very pretty, ten years of development, meant that power outputs and reliability increased.

but, although not going to win any races, this diesel should deliver around 7 to 10 miles to the gallon, probably gonna top out at about 60 to 65 mph.

the plus side? well that transmission should fit other diesels. I would not be afraid of it, but just realize not going to go 70 mph......ever. okay, maybe if the brakes fail or falls off a cliff.

william
The one I linked is a classic case of the seller not knowing whats what. Its got a 3126 Cat. I ran the vin.
Pic shows a 5.9 cummins.
So a call to the bus yard is probably best to find out. Its either a 5.9 or Cat. I'd rather have the Cat.

Tags
california, getting started, new bus, newbies, short bus conversion