Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2017, 08:27 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Love for old Carpenter school buses

Special School District bought the majority of their buses from Carpenter Corporation. I rode them and they have always seemed to be a nice bus. The Vistaramic was the one with the curved windshield. The Ultaramic was the bus with the flat windshield. From the 1950s all the way until the late 1960s, the doors had two regular sized oval windows with small ones at the bottom of each door leaf. The doors were changed to where the lower windows in the doors were enlarged and the split between the front leaf and the rear leaf was pushed back a fraction making the rear leaf shorter than the front leaf. The Vistaramics that Special bought had a two-tone green paint scheme on the inside portion of the front entrance door. And the dome lights had two switches which allowed the bus driver to drive with the rear set of dome lights on and not to worry about much glare on the windshield. I would like to see some more Vistaramic Carps to be saved from being sent to the scrap yard. I would like for my friend Scott Thompson to have some for his new bus route he is trying to create. But my friend Scott tells me that his buses has to have an automatic transmission.

1964 Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:56 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Most people moved to save buses are saving Crowns and Gilligs, if not older coaches. They're all good here. Welcome.