Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2018, 10:51 PM   #1

Luggage compartments

Hello Everyone,

So we have a 1991 Chevy Bluebird. We have almost 7" space and we want to use the luggage compartments for our fresh water and gray water tanks (compostable toilet). Don't worry, we have already figured out the freezing with insulation, heat pads and floor access in the bus; completely sealing off the compartments (with the exception of the drain which will double as an outside tap). There seems to be NO THREADS on this at all!!
My question is not if its possible but rather what would you use to reinforce the compartments holding almost 600lbs of water. I was thinking galvanized cable vertically and horizontally, drill a small hole in the floor, feed it through a steel rope clip on the inside.

Any ideas would be helpful. Trying to avoid welding tools.

Seebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:40 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seebass View Post
Hello Everyone,

So we have a 1991 Chevy Bluebird. We have almost 7" space and we want to use the luggage compartments for our fresh water and gray water tanks (compostable toilet). Don't worry, we have already figured out the freezing with insulation, heat pads and floor access in the bus; completely sealing off the compartments (with the exception of the drain which will double as an outside tap). There seems to be NO THREADS on this at all!!
My question is not if its possible but rather what would you use to reinforce the compartments holding almost 600lbs of water. I was thinking galvanized cable vertically and horizontally, drill a small hole in the floor, feed it through a steel rope clip on the inside.

Any ideas would be helpful. Trying to avoid welding tools.
Search for allthread and unistrut I think is what it was called. You can bolt them on instead of welding them.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-2018, 11:17 PM   #3

Thanks thats exatly what I was looking for awesome
Seebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:06 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
I had been thinking of running heavy duty cargo straps through the floor and around the plywood box holding the grey water tank. Haven't quite nailed down the system, but since there will be a cabinet above the tank, the strap will be covered.

Just spitballin' here.
Drew Bru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
luggage compartments, water tanks