Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2017, 02:29 PM   #1

Lurker Alert

Hi Everyone!

We don't have a bus yet so I'll be listening in more than contributing. I'm a novelist with an eye towards a big contract in the future that will make all my dreams and schemes come true. I would like to be able to pay somebody to do a conversion for us and would appreciate any advice towards this end.

stefferniene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 02:51 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Welcome

I'm sure you'll be able to find most of the information you need here. There's always a certain amount of make it up as you go along that works well too.

Depending on your location there are people here that could help you build a proper skoolie. You'll need to decide specifically what type of bus you're wanting to use for this project if you haven't already done that.

There is nothing so difficult that you couldn't build a bus by yourself. It's fine to have someone else build a bus for you, but nobody will build the bus as carefully as you do.

Either way, you'll do fine here with lots of ideas thrown at you. So it starts best if you describe how you're going to use your bus and what size you're thinking of. We loosely describe buses as shorties, medium and long buses, often more accurately described by the number of passenger windows.

So what kind of bus are you looking for? What kind of timeline are you thinking of? Where are you located generally speaking? Not to be nose, but it helps if people here know what kind of budget you're working with for the basic bus. Are you thinking of looking for a coach or a converted school bus?
If you describe what you're thinking of, the people here will try to help you get there.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:12 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply.
Our intention is to cross the country visiting parks and historical sites for a YouTube channel my presently 10 year old son will start when he is thirteen. We are unschoolers. My husband would join us, and pets, if pets are feasible. The main thing my son is looking for in a bus is to be able to spray paint it He's a gamer and this will be a YouTube channel, so we'll probably need an area for media.
I'm just starting out on imagining the specifics. I don't know what the budget will be but have had the fantastic life experience to know that if you make your wants and needs known, the universe will find a way to make it work out. I'm not religious, that's just my experience. I'd be happy to share my luck with manifestation if anyone's curious.
I've read enough of the threads here to know to not DARE ask about converting to electricity, that doing so is only asking for a public shaming although I am interested in harnessing a much of natural resources as possible. I've also discovered I want to stay away from CAT and Mercedes Benz engines. Y'all don't like those. That is clear. I've also come to realize I don't want a flat fronted bus. I've already forgotten the terms y'all used. I have no idea what length would be best for us and would appreciate your recommendations.
I'm in North Texas.
Thanks again!
stefferniene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 04:36 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Welcome and Howdy from SE Texas --- Sounds like you are off to a great start. Read, make notes, learn from others mistakes and experiences...then...DIVE IN!

Lots of great school districts in this state that you can buy from direct. It will save a bunch of money and may well give you a shot at the service records for any potential rig. A few folks have even gotten to chat with the techs who took care of them. Priceless insight to be had there.

There are lots of places to find "your" bus besides dealers and Craigslist.

Again...Welcome!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote