Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-25-2018, 01:56 PM   #1
Skoolie
 
Tryonis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: GA
Posts: 129
Year: 1998
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
Lurking

Been lurking for a while, going to look at a bus tomorrow near me. Had a few questions regarding this bus in particular. First if i decide to buy the bus it needs batteries. What can i throw in there just to get it home? Second it has had the outer rear wheels removed so its sitting on singles in the rear, can i limp it home that way (about 30 miles) or do i need to get some used wheels and tires to slap on it? Probably a dumb question but I don't know whats legal or not.

Thanks
Tryonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:59 PM   #2
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 14,909
Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryonis View Post
Been lurking for a while, going to look at a bus tomorrow near me. Had a few questions regarding this bus in particular. First if i decide to buy the bus it needs batteries. What can i throw in there just to get it home? Second it has had the outer rear wheels removed so its sitting on singles in the rear, can i limp it home that way (about 30 miles) or do i need to get some used wheels in tires to slap on it? Probably a dumb question but I don't know whats legal or not.

Thanks
Sounds like a borderline "parts bus" from that description. If it isn't in amazing shape I'd probably pass.
Any decent 12v battery should start it.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 02:08 PM   #3
Skoolie
 
Tryonis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: GA
Posts: 129
Year: 1998
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
I asked the maintenance lead guy and he said all that has been removed is batts, tires and flasher lights. Of course i will know more tomorrow. I scheduled a day off to really give it a once over inside and out. It has a 8.3 cummins and a Allison 3060 which i am looking for. It supposedly runs with a boost charge so we shall see. I don't even know if i can test drive it with rear singles.
Tryonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 02:31 PM   #4
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 14,909
Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryonis View Post
I asked the maintenance lead guy and he said all that has been removed is batts, tires and flasher lights. Of course i will know more tomorrow. I scheduled a day off to really give it a once over inside and out. It has a 8.3 cummins and a Allison 3060 which i am looking for. It supposedly runs with a boost charge so we shall see. I don't even know if i can test drive it with rear singles.
The singles will be ok. Not for long term, but short term low speeds should be ok. Check their condition and pressure.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 02:59 PM   #5
Skoolie
 
Tryonis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: GA
Posts: 129
Year: 1998
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
Thanks for replying, so you think i can test drive it or actually get it 30 miles home on singles?
Tryonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:08 PM   #6
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 14,909
Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryonis View Post
Thanks for replying, so you think i can test drive it or actually get it 30 miles home on singles?
If the singles aren't dry rotted to hell and they're properly inflated I'd go for it if the rest of the bus is NICE.
You know its got a great engine trans combo. But eye everything on it with a lot of scrutiny.

Good luck, and have fun!!!!!!
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:48 PM   #7
Skoolie
 
Tryonis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: GA
Posts: 129
Year: 1998
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
I will! Its kinda scary to think of driving the bus for the first time in traffic, kinda like when i bought my first Harley 90 miles from my house and had to drive it home never having driven a street bike before. Thank you again for the advice!
Tryonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:54 PM   #8
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,627
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
You can drive it with singles on the rear.

You will probably be close to the load index of the tires, but that's okay.

The reason for duals is to cope with the rear axle at full axle weight ... in my case around 24000 lb. The actual unladen weight on my rear axle is 12400.

I think most full size buses have similar numbers ... I too have your drivetrain, rear engine.
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:31 PM   #9
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 14,909
Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryonis View Post
I will! Its kinda scary to think of driving the bus for the first time in traffic, kinda like when i bought my first Harley 90 miles from my house and had to drive it home never having driven a street bike before. Thank you again for the advice!
My first FAST bike was a ZRX1200. Bought it 200+ miles from home. FUN ride back though.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:33 PM   #10
Skoolie
 
Tryonis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: GA
Posts: 129
Year: 1998
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
You can drive it with singles on the rear.

You will probably be close to the load index of the tires, but that's okay.

The reason for duals is to cope with the rear axle at full axle weight ... in my case around 24000 lb. The actual unladen weight on my rear axle is 12400.

I think most full size buses have similar numbers ... I too have your drivetrain, rear engine.
well ok then ill drive it home like that if i can slow and steady, im digging this bus based on the drive train based on what i have read from all of you guys and i really appreciate all of the insight yall have dropped from what i have read.
Tryonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.