Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2016, 05:49 PM   #1

Lurking from Georgia

OK, been lurking a couple weeks from Georgia and getting excited about buying a bus..........BUT, I have reservations. I have been told by my Insurance Agent that a school bus cannot be insured for anything but a commercial school bus. Please, If you are from Georgia and have insured a school bus as an RV, please let me know how you did it. Its a deal breaker I think........Help.

dstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:27 PM   #2
Skoolie

Try ' National General Insurence' out of Winston Salem NC. We have ours under ' pleasure ' not RV or bus thats how they listed it. 1-888-293-5108.

Good luck. Our insurence is only $45 a mo. It was $39 for first several years, about 3 yr.s ago it was raised to $45.
International is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:41 PM   #3

Is the 45 per month for liability only?
dstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:47 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Hi,

If you have a gentle hand and can share information with the people at dmv to change the title to motorhome, then it's a whole different ball game.

Seats out, a bedding and sleep area, potable water, separate power source, separate heat source, etc. I took pictures and shared 'em with the worker there and shared the information that i had NOT modified the engine or chassis (which requires an officer to inspect and issue a new vin) and that i had satisfied the requirements for a motorhome.

And i kept patient and kind, and my fingers crossed. I was informative and NOT demanding, i asked politely if i may share some information a few times when they said "you can't do that." after some time they were as happy as me to figure out that it is as simple as changing the name from bus to motorhome when they issue the new title into my name.

Good luck either way!
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:51 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Georgia - Progressive Commercial - ~$45/month
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:34 PM   #6