Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2018, 08:52 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: 300HP ISC 8.3L w/ B3/400R Trans
Making the dream a reality

Hello all!

We are new to the site and this community, and want to start by thanking everyone for all of the information they so willingly share, the processes they document, all the photographs of what to expect along the way, and amazing friendliness!

My wife and I are from Michigan and have had a van or bus conversion in the back of our mind for a few years now and the right circumstances are about to happen to give us a chance at making it a reality, and in a more committed way than we initially were thinking -- going full-time! Our goal is to get this bus built ASAP, possibly with hiring out some of the work due to awesome Michigan winters. The ASAP part of the equation is due to a plan to sell our house in Spring before the market continues to tank. We're trying to come out as far ahead as possible to help fund this venture.

So, the hope is to find a solution by the time we need to move out. It'll be warmer by then and working outside becomes more feasible. My current expectation is to be able to work on this full-time starting in April. Until then, the plan is to make it my sole free-time focus and get done what I can.

Where we live now, the HOA will not allow a bus, so we're also on the search for a place to keep the bus close-by or somewhere we can move to where we can work on it next to the house. The cost in gas and time having to drive to it every day just doesn't make sense, if we can figure out a solution. We have a place we can keep the bus outside 30 minutes away, but haven't had much luck in the search for an indoor space (much less heated) for the winter months, especially if the bus ends up at 40' as the largest pole barn is usually 40' and won't fit. There's one heated inside possibility if we're willing to fork over the money and we get the bus before the last unit rents out, but it's 35 minutes away and expensive. Because I (main person doing the initial grunt work) will only have weekends and some evenings to work on it during the cold months, it makes paying for a heated space a half hour away not the best choice.

Anyone have any creative solutions they've come up with?

Our ideal base would be:
1990-2003 (pre-emissions)
Blue Bird, Thomas, Amtran, International, or similar
34-40' (preferably in the middle of this range for better turning radius)
Rear Engine
Higher HP Cummins ISC or DT466 (preferably mechanical, so up to ~1999)
AT643 or better Trans, preferably MD3060
Balanced rear-end ratio
Air Brakes
Air Bag Suspension
Underbelly through storage
Possibly A/C, depending on the setup (roof and not in the way of solar)

We're planning to do a roof raise, so the starting height isn't all that important.

We're planning on a Jeep Wrangler as a toad, which is part of the extra emphasis I've been placing on the engine and trans in my search.

The goal is a boon docking (off-road) setup capable of sustaining us for 3-4 weeks at a time (between bus moves, not Jeep runs) in hot or cold climates. For at least a few months a year, we'll be helping to build a community that is fairly remote and not parking lot-level. We'll have a serious solar system and battery bank setup (still researching), generator, radiant floor heating combined with 'something else' (not sure yet, whether wood stove or another option), and mini-split(s) for A/C.

We have a couple cats that'll be joining us on the journey, and a niece/nephew that will likely be visitors multiple times a year.

I'm still researching insulation options, but I'm steering clear of PSF based on what I've found. That just seems like bad news and potential health issues down the line, even if we are lucky enough to not be sensitive to the off-gassing chemicals. Over a decade after it's introduced and there's still no clear counter to safety concerns, tons of anecdotal accounts, and they've not reformulated it to exclude the problem chemicals. I'm leaning towards a hemp based solution that has an R4 value, as it doesn't seem there's any non-PSF solution with better R value fit for a bus.

Anyone have any recommendations or items we've missed?

We've been actively searching with our focus having turned to the southern middle of the country and west to the Pacific Northwest, as that's where the buses with the least rust and best capabilities and features seem to be. That's also where there are the most dealers in competition for these things, unfortunately.

We recently found one bus that meets most of our wants, aside from mid-range HP (250), electronic engine (2001 Cummins ISC), and no air bags. Also, it's on the large end at 40' though I'm suspecting that's where we'll land with what I've found in my search. With those items factored in, we're not sure if we should continue the search instead of having it inspected by a mobile diesel mechanic in preparation for a purchase commitment. I've read we can add air bags ourselves, whether paying someone (sounds pretty expensive) or doing it ourselves down the line depending how much we hate spring suspension. Any thoughts here on how realistic it is to continue the search for our unicorn?

Thanks for reading! This introduction is a bit late. I found this sub-forum after making an initial couple posts. With all of the research I've been doing, most of it has been "rabbit hole" type reading/watching where I'm going from links in one thread to another until I have too many tabs open to keep track of… or Google searching the site for what I'm looking for. Might have to dedicate some time to just exploring the forums!

Thanks again everyone! We look forward to becoming a part of the community. We only hope we can contribute some new/alternative solutions, ideas, and/or information that may help others!

PerfectInsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 08:58 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Welcome to the Madness! --- Sounds like you have done a pretty good job on your homework. Knowing your wants and needs and use are critical...then study different units until you find the best match. And yes...the southwest/west (including Texas) will most likely yield better and more rust free units. Be prepared to travel as needed to get the "right" starter platform.

Best of luck on your hunt!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 10:32 PM   #3
Skoolie

Welcome to the site. I like your preferences. I'd add you might want to keep Your eyes peeled for a Air ride rear suspension. Makes a bus ride and rive much better. parts of the vehicle don't come apart nearly as easily either.

I like your wanting to stay away from computers. Some of the early ones are not nearly as bad as you might think. I am a full time School bus driver. in the fleet that I drive we have a few 1999 and a 2000 Internationals that have the DT466E ,Auto trans Crusie control that works (64 MPH max) and rear air ride. They even get a bout 10 MPG.
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 11:04 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
I wouldn't pass up a nicely maintained Cat 3126 if a deal pops up. They're pretty good.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:23 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Welcome to the Madness! --- Sounds like you have done a pretty good job on your homework. Knowing your wants and needs and use are critical...then study different units until you find the best match. And yes...the southwest/west (including Texas) will most likely yield better and more rust free units. Be prepared to travel as needed to get the "right" starter platform.

Best of luck on your hunt!
Thanks Tango! Madness - perfect, haha. I've already saved so much information from you in our notes. You're very generous with your information and it's much appreciated! Helped us nail down our target base, also.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:34 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
Welcome to the site. I like your preferences. I'd add you might want to keep Your eyes peeled for a Air ride rear suspension. Makes a bus ride and rive much better. parts of the vehicle don't come apart nearly as easily either.

I like your wanting to stay away from computers. Some of the early ones are not nearly as bad as you might think. I am a full time School bus driver. in the fleet that I drive we have a few 1999 and a 2000 Internationals that have the DT466E ,Auto trans Crusie control that works (64 MPH max) and rear air ride. They even get a bout 10 MPG.

Thanks Mekanic! Thanks for the feedback on air ride. Definitely sounds like we should make it a must or plan for adding it later. It's on my checklist, but one of the less common features in conjunction with our other requirements. (RE being one of the biggest initial limiters.)

Thanks for the MPG feedback, also. I've only managed a rough idea from the various threads talking about engine/trans combos and it seems somewhat hard to nail down. The main deterrent from going electronic for me is the cost of spending more fixing it if something goes wrong and not being able to do the work ourselves. At least, it's nowhere near as easy.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:42 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I wouldn't pass up a nicely maintained Cat 3126 if a deal pops up. They're pretty good.
Thanks ECCB! There are tons of Cats out there, but from what I've read, it sounds like they're the least preferred because you're stuck dealing with their dealers/shops for the serious work and they charge slightly more hourly than other shops on top of it. Is that accurate?

My brother-in-law actually works for Cat and said he'd be able to pull the history, but being that we're in Michigan and looking far away, he's not going to be able to do much else for initial inspection or when we run across issues.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:37 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectInsanity View Post
Thanks ECCB! There are tons of Cats out there, but from what I've read, it sounds like they're the least preferred because you're stuck dealing with their dealers/shops for the serious work and they charge slightly more hourly than other shops on top of it. Is that accurate?

My brother-in-law actually works for Cat and said he'd be able to pull the history, but being that we're in Michigan and looking far away, he's not going to be able to do much else for initial inspection or when we run across issues.
The 3126 Cat is as good as any other school bus engine. I've had DT466's and T444E's and the Cat may well be my preference now. A lot of the hate is because there are definitely Cat engines to avoid. But if a really nice clean bus pops up don't let a 3126 scare you away if its been taken care of.
Got mine with 64k original miles for $1625.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:05 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
I was recently reading that CATS built prior to 2005 are pretty solid and after that year CAT quality diminished rather quickly, something about Chinese parts so they are now a rarity in mid size trucks and busses.
I swear by them because of the initial build quality and have a Yanmar, 2 Perkins 6 cyl marine diesels, and owned one Cummins many years ago.
The CAT is by far the strongest of all these, not that any of them are bad when properly used and maintained.

CB, funny how your opinion of CATS has changed, just look after yours and it will do the same.
Cheers,

John
Old 11-18-2018, 06:43 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
The 3126 Cat is as good as any other school bus engine. I've had DT466's and T444E's and the Cat may well be my preference now. A lot of the hate is because there are definitely Cat engines to avoid. But if a really nice clean bus pops up don't let a 3126 scare you away if its been taken care of.
Got mine with 64k original miles for $1625.

Sounds like you got an amazing deal! We'll keep that engine in mind and I'll start digging for more info. Something I'd already come across that I recall a discussion about was earlier versions of this engine having issues that were resolved in later (electronic-era, maybe?) production years. Any chance you've run across this info?
Old 11-18-2018, 06:45 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
I was recently reading that CATS built prior to 2005 are pretty solid and after that year CAT quality diminished rather quickly, something about Chinese parts so they are now a rarity in mid size trucks and busses.
I swear by them because of the initial build quality and have a Yanmar, 2 Perkins 6 cyl marine diesels, and owned one Cummins many years ago.
The CAT is by far the strongest of all these, not that any of them are bad when properly used and maintained.

CB, funny how your opinion of CATS has changed, just look after yours and it will do the same.
Cheers,

John

Thanks John! Any bus I'm entertaining is earlier than that generation, so safe in that respect. Just realized I posed a question to CB that you may have insight on. You made note about the decline coming after 2005. Do you recall any known issues with the 3126 for certain production years?
Old 11-18-2018, 07:06 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Thanks John! Any bus I'm entertaining is earlier than that generation, so safe in that respect. Just realized I posed a question to CB that you may have insight on. You made note about the decline coming after 2005. Do you recall any known issues with the 3126 for certain production years?

No, not offhand other than it is a V8, if I'm not mistaken. Haven't paid much attention to it really so no negative comments here.
A big old inline 6 cyl CAT is my interest. Arguably the best built motor out there and one of the heaviest blocks built. That's why they are my preference, the original quality. All the power we will need in this game and dependable. There are still some very good ones out there, keep an eye open and see for yourself.
We could be related you know, I am perfectly insane with papers to prove it..

John
Old 11-18-2018, 07:30 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Yeah, the Cat 3126 is a 7.2 straight six. Up to 2004 they were good.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:34 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Yeah, the Cat 3126 is a 7.2 straight six. Up to 2004 they were good.

I stand corrected CB, ty. Never had to pay any attention to them so not sure where that idea came from of it being a v8. No wonder you are lovinn it!

John
Old 11-19-2018, 12:51 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
No, not offhand other than it is a V8, if I'm not mistaken. Haven't paid much attention to it really so no negative comments here.
A big old inline 6 cyl CAT is my interest. Arguably the best built motor out there and one of the heaviest blocks built. That's why they are my preference, the original quality. All the power we will need in this game and dependable. There are still some very good ones out there, keep an eye open and see for yourself.
We could be related you know, I am perfectly insane with papers to prove it..

John

Haha. The username has dual meanings for me. First, think along society and how the vast majority collectively decide it's a good idea to continue doing the same thing expecting different results...

Also, referring to the insanity I've been subjecting myself to by working for the man for two decades, hoping it'll somehow become fulfilling. We're being our own catalysts with this decision.

I'll keep my eyes open for older CATs to consider and research them, if I come across buses meeting our other wants.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:57 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the tips regarding the CATs, CB and John. Will keep them in mind.

We're holding off on committing to the one we found, as the few items it somewhat misses on may prove fairly important or expensive to add. Namely, only 250HP engine to also pull a toad on all fours when we're expecting a fairly high % of mountain travel. Also, it's electronic. And, no air ride, meaning $$$ to modify later.

The search is tiring, but we're hoping it'll be rewarding and not take forever. A couple hours a day at least just searching, and researching the rest of the time. All towards a good end, hopefully!
Old 11-19-2018, 01:07 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Haha. The username has dual meanings for me. First, think along society and how the vast majority collectively decide it's a good idea to continue doing the same thing expecting different results...

Also, referring to the insanity I've been subjecting myself to by working for the man for two decades, hoping it'll somehow become fulfilling. We're being our own catalysts with this decision.

I'll keep my eyes open for older CATs to consider and research them, if I come across buses meeting our other wants.

Tell me about it! Took me decades to discover I had no education but rather was being indoctrinated the whole time in so called institutions of higher learning.
Working for the man does so suck and thus I have turned to bus building and living. And compound interest is another pet peeve while I am ranting.
Now I feel better.

John
Old 11-19-2018, 01:09 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I stand corrected CB, ty. Never had to pay any attention to them so not sure where that idea came from of it being a v8. No wonder you are lovinn it!

John

I was thinking about the 3208 I guess when I said V8. No comparison between the big 6 and the V8, find a big 6 CAT.

John
Old 11-20-2018, 10:03 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Tell me about it! Took me decades to discover I had no education but rather was being indoctrinated the whole time in so called institutions of higher learning.
Working for the man does so suck and thus I have turned to bus building and living. And compound interest is another pet peeve while I am ranting.
Now I feel better.

John

Haha, glad you feel better! It does help to let it out once in a while. Bus building and living sounds a heck of a lot better than the grind. And it's wise financially... it costs so little to live in a Skoolie vs. home "ownership." Less stress and more happiness? Yes, please!
Old 11-20-2018, 10:22 AM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
ECCB has it right... seems around the 04-05 timeframe things started to go slowly downhill even with the tried and true like the DT-466E... the 444E discontiued officially after 03 but some 04s got them..replaced with the VT-365.. the cat 3126 ended and was replaced with the C7.. 466E got EGR which became problematic..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote