Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2018, 07:34 PM   #1

Motorhome owner looking to build skoolie

Hello all. I own a 96 south wind that I’d like to sell so I can purchase a bus an convert it in to a skoolie. I work in an RV factory (stuffing foam in walls) so I’m not afraid of the challenge.

I see there are a lot of threads on builds, I’m hoping someone can point me towards one that meets my needs. They are as follows:

My skoolie will...

Be used for traveling, not full time living.
Sleep at least 6.
Be durable (why I’m distancing myself from manufactured RV).
Have a single roof mount A/C
Have a coach A/C with a compressor driven by the bus engine.
A high output alternator to power small appliances.
A means to plug into shore power.
Ample fresh water supply (we go through 60 gallons fast).
Gray water and black water tank.
A kitchen with 2way refrigerator, propane oven, propane cook top, sink.
A shower and toilet
A dinette with a view

My skoolie will not have...

A compost toilet
A generator
A raised roof
A slide out

I’ve been considering a Blue Bird TC/2000 with a front mounted 6bt. I’m okay idling all night to stay cool/warm. Thanks for any help!

Colonelcorto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 12:21 PM   #2
Skoolie

Why not buy an older Bluebird Motorhome!

You kinda get your bus as that's what a Bluebird motorhome is built upon, the living conversion was done in a factory when new therefore the hard work is done and it's probably a lot CHEAPER in the long run WITHOUT the 2 years of work/heartache building your own!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 04:59 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
https://denver.craigslist.org/search...nearbyArea=669

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/rv...778235877.html

https://nwga.craigslist.org/rvs/d/ro...771098064.html

https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/...779397194.html
Old 01-01-2019, 06:12 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: DT466E / AT545
Rated Cap: 72
Sleeping 6 - are these 6 adults or a mixture of children and adults?

OTher than that, I've been planning around the TC1000/2000's and they'd pretty much work for everything else you listed, especially if this isn't a live in skoolie but more for vacations.
geminusprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 06:45 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
I'm on board with the older BB idea. For nearly 20 years, the much admired "WanderLodge" was considered top of the line. And they were all basically factory conversions based on their All American school bus line. Built like tanks and there are actually still quite a few out there with relatively low miles. Worth checking out.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:17 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by geminusprime View Post
Sleeping 6 - are these 6 adults or a mixture of children and adults?

OTher than that, I've been planning around the TC1000/2000's and they'd pretty much work for everything else you listed, especially if this isn't a live in skoolie but more for vacations.
Why a TC??? They're fine but they're BB's budget model. If you don't have a TC already why not shoot for an All American?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Why a TC??? They're fine but they're BB's budget model. If you don't have a TC already why not shoot for an All American?
Quite frankly, I’m just ignorant on the subject of buses. I’m educating myself as quickly as possible. Ease of maintenance is important, too. I’d probably be doing nearly all of the maintenance and repairs.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:24 AM   #8

After a bit of research I’d love to have one of these older BB motorhomes. I imagine they will be out of my budget for a while.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:43 AM   #9
Bus Geek

You might be surprised given some of the pricing I have seen. When you factor in all the appliances, plumbing, electrical, amenities...they begin to look like a bargain at the right price. Typical Skoolie builders probably have anywhere from about $20 to 35K invested by the time they are done.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:11 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
You might be surprised given some of the pricing I have seen. When you factor in all the appliances, plumbing, electrical, amenities...they begin to look like a bargain at the right price. Typical Skoolie builders probably have anywhere from about $20 to 35K invested by the time they are done.
Yup. The only reasons we didn't go with a Wanderlodge is we wanted the interior built to our designs, and we didn't want the front engine/flat nose design. Aside from those 2 personal preferences, the Wanderlodge have a LOT going for them and we definitely saw some that would have been cheaper than building out our own bus.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:46 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
Yup. The only reasons we didn't go with a Wanderlodge is we wanted the interior built to our designs, and we didn't want the front engine/flat nose design. Aside from those 2 personal preferences, the Wanderlodge have a LOT going for them and we definitely saw some that would have been cheaper than building out our own bus.
I plan on owning one some day.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:52 AM   #12

It appears the Wanderlodge would likely sport Detroit 8v92 or CAT 3208. My current motorhome has a Ford 460. I can wrench on the 460 all day long but I don’t know about a 10 - 12 liter diesel... I like the idea of a front engine Cummins 5.9, like some of the tc/2000’s have. Anyone know of realistic mpg?
Old 01-02-2019, 01:41 PM   #13
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Having been around motorhomes for more than 40 years, I was never a Wanderlodge fan. As a kid, they just seemed ugly.

But now, I find myself wanting one. Any motorhome or Skoolie is a project that will constantly need work, not saying you can buy a Wanderlodge and ride off into the sunset. Just compared to other options - new motorhome: big bucks for crap, old motorhome: mostly crap, skoolie: lots of time/money/effort to get right, an older Wanderlodge has many benefits.

Looks like decent Wanderlodges can be found in the $10K to $20K range. Often not much more than you'll find a bare shell. And the bare shells can be pretty used up. Wanderlodges are more than likely well cared for, with relatively low miles. Another plus (and it's a huge plus in my mind) is the huge following they have. TONS of information on the web about them. They had great documentation when they were built.There are many websites and forums dedicated to them.
ennonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 01:50 PM   #14
Bus Geek

If you like the older BB All Americans...you gotta like the WanderLodge. They were both built with the same chassis and body. Many with exactly the same running gear. Only real differences were the windows, paint and interior build out and amenities.

Some of the later units had really big motors never used in Skoolies but to me, that is just another plus if you can find one.

But I will admit...I never did like the (high dollar) paint lobs they put on them. Ugly indeed. I'll take a solid color or nice two tone over those multi color, heavily striped factory jobs any day.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:46 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
for ease of wrenching, you'll find a conventional (bus with a hood) to be the easiest to get to everything.. its not however the best use of space, whereas a flat nose front engine gives you the space above the engine as living space.. diesels in front engine busses are Noisier (by a lot) than the gasoline motorhomes built on spartan chassis.

as mentioned, the TC is the budget model of Bluebird.. you'll mosdt likely have a 24 valve electronic 5.9 cummins if you are 98 or newer, and will have the somewhat hated allison 545 transmission... the 545 is fine if you dont plan to trek the mountains alot.

many of the all americans came with a bit higher spec drivetrains which may give you a more deisrable transmission.

the Amtran line of busses (amtran genesis).. often came with the navistar DT466 and the allison MT643 or in later models, the allison 2000 or MD3060 transmissions which are generally better for mountain trekking.

a lot of what drivetrain you choose depends on yopur desired areas of exploration..

Air-conditioning.. a lot of the busses being sold out of texasor arizona are already equipped with engine-driven road AirCon. you'll also find some from other southern states... albeit it seems like many busses coming out of florida are beat-to-death pretty hard and not necessarily a good start mechanically.

northern busses have a higher chance of rust and a much less chance of having air-conditioning.. for instance here in ohio even in 2019 the only busses being bought with A/C up here are special ed or summer-program busses..

you can add A/C to a non AC bus.. ive done it on one of mine.. did a full custom dashboard and reasr system... but its a lot of work, and pricey if you buy new parts... you may get lucky and find a fellow skoolie who is yanking one or more of their systems out and will sell it or give it away and you can re-use much of it.. but if having A/C is the desire (a requirement of mine).. then the best way is to find a bus with it.. even if it doesnt work, they are pretty strasight forward to fix.).

Bluebird often used Trans/AIR as their factory systems.. T/A is still in business and parts are easy to get.. carrier is another popular brand.. they are no longer making mobile A/C, however TransArctic stocks plenty of carrier parts and are readily available...

my Factory (not dealer) install Trans/AIR system in my bluebird bus also came with upgraded insulation in that bus's ceiling... if i were going to convert that bus i wouldnt remove it's ceiling panels.. it seems pretty good already... the bus that had no A/C has terrible ceiling insulation..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote