Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2017, 11:06 AM   #1

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Freightliner Champion
Chassis: MSB 31' bumper to bumper
Engine: Cummins 6.7, Allison AT
Rated Cap: 27 adults
My First Bus Project (and first post)

Lurking for 6 months (as I was doing research) and looked at over 300 buses all over the country the last 6 weeks to meet my unique needs. Almost purchased one of three school buses I had found, shied away from some neat vintage (money pit) finds, but then came across my bus not far away from me on Craigslist. Just got it this week.

I have been a long-time builder/tinkerer/creator/repurposer of things. Long-time member and moderator of two large photography forums (that have since closed). So I am happy to be here officially.

My build and needs are pretty unique. Will be fully modular (at least for the first year or two) as I get out and use it and see how I use it. I purchased it as a commercial platform for my commercial photography business. "Headshot bus", on-location shooting & living platform, configurable from one use to another from overnight solo use to a 2-week road trip with the family of 4. A write-off every time I turn the key and use it for photography. Off-grid for a week or more is the intent.

$500,000 liability/uninsured motorist/property damage/personal injury protection commercial policy was cheap. Fully insured for whatever I do with it commercially with my LLC or personally (other than hauling paid passengers, which I am leaving my options open if I do workshops).

Looked at a lot of RE bus types, but found I really need a rear door for my business. Was going to install track systems, but this already has it. Thought seriously about a wheelchair lift for getting gear in/out, but took up too much cubic space. Has front copilot seat to make my wife happy. Maintained during it's life by a certified diesel mechanic and no issues other than some TLC. I am also 6'5" and was difficult to find something in the 30' range that I did not have to raise the roof on.

No chipped or broken glass, no mechanical issues, no body leaks, starts every time with a flick of the key. 13,880lbs as-is, 189,000 miles and only $5,000 delivered. I have taken it out twice, drove it around town and up an 8% grade it does great. It is snowing for days again, so parked behind my house until the weather warms up a bit. No plans to live in it for any longer than weeks at a time as it is a work truck. Rear bench (not pictured) was thrown in when it was delivered. No intentions of having many of these seats in it for very long, but they come out and move very easily.

Not shying away from a CDL, just don't need one yet...
Attached Thumbnails
1997-F-Champion-31ft.jpg   profile.jpg   mlb2.jpg  

Old 02-03-2017, 04:48 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Welcome!!!

Sandi
www.thismidwifetravels.com
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote