Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2016, 06:00 PM   #1

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: P30
Engine: 5.7L chevy 350
My latest adventure... of all things A bus!!!

Hello all, I'm a long time lurker first time poster~

I have always wanted a bus to call my own, and a few months back I took the plunge, on a unique looking bus I just had to have.

I sniped a 1993 Carpenter Cadet off of a government auction site for $1700... It was a risk buying without getting to look it over, but it only had 60k miles on it, was running, the price had plenty of room if I needed to tow it to a shop, or put tires on it, and i figured the wheelchair lift had to be worth a good chunk of that.

I flew to TN with some hand tools, and started the task of getting it home. The basic plan was to quickly fix any issues, and drive it home (I was ecstatic to find all the rubber in top shape, and the agency i bought it from had given it a rinse off, as well as a new battery before I arrived) It hadn't been used in years, but was started regularly. I topped off the coolant (not thinking much about it at the time), and started my trip. after a few stops( and about 10 gallons of rest station water), I gave in, and preformed a auto zone parking lot radiator swap, but I got her home intact, and have now started the long project of making her into my RV... ish play thing.

next up are a roofmount A/C, and some new bell cranks before ARRL Field day.

Twitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:05 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift

I am delighted to read this piece of the story, and anytime i see another V8 gas motor i feel less alone in the Universe.

She's quite charming. Glad you arrived home safely.
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:12 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I once has a gas V-8 Bus.. probably still would if the bus were still alive and kickin!..

I like seeing a fellow carpenter Bus owner!!! even similar colors to mine.. though my colors are arranged differently...

lookin good!!

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote