Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2016, 02:48 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
I think you will find that you have the 6.0L gas V-8 under the hood if it isn't the 5.3L.

As far as I know GM never offered the big block gas V-8 in any of the G-series chassis.

Your bus looks like it once belonged to the tour operator Buffalo Bus in West Yellowstone, MT. They offer day trips all year long. In the spring through the fall the buses are on tires. But once the snow is on the ground they mount the buses on tracks and do abbreviated tours to Old Faithful.

Lodges and Motels in West Yellowstone | Yellowstone Vacations

Cowlitzcoach,
I'm impressed! I bought the bus from a guide outfit in Sequoia who bought it from Buffalo Tour guides in Yellowstone a little over a year ago. TRACKS! I'd love to see that. And I think that probably explains the lift and the low gearing (and of course the 4x4).

https://www.cars.com/research/chevro...ess_3500-2001/
Per the above link, the 3500 was available w/the 8.1L though it also claims the transmission is 4spd w/OD (which I would interpret to be 5 total speeds). My shift column only has D,3,2,1 and it sounds redlined at 70 mph. Anyways now I gotta go look and see what I have. I have a date w/my mechanic tomorrow at 10 to go through the whole thing and talk "options."

laxboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 02:53 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
thats a badass lookin bus!! I wish i had seats like that!..

I'd bet on the 6.0.. but then I didnt know chevy offered a van in 4x4 stock.. I remember ford did for awhile (or may still)..

so maybe its custom with a big block?
-Christopher
Chris, it was a 4x4 conversion done out of an outfit in CA that went out of business a few years ago. So yes, custom, and would require two R&P swaps. If I can get to where I want to be with larger tires/rims I would choose that route, because it will just look better and give me another couple inches of clearance/departure angle on that huge rear overhang...
Old 10-13-2016, 06:12 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

As far as I know neither Ford E-series nor GM G-series were ever offered with a 4x4 option from the factory. You could order them with 4x4 but the van, or bus, would be sent to a company like Tulsa Truck or Quadvan where they would be upfitted with a driven front axle.

I know that all of the IC buses that have had a driven front axle were sent to Tulsa Truck for the conversion. The 4x4 school bus that is for sale at Harlows Bus Sales was converted at Tulsa Truck.

Tulsa Truck Manufacturing - All Wheel Drive Conversions
4X4 Vans - Conversions, Buses, Campers & Motorhomes by QuadVan
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 10:35 PM   #24

I checked under the hood. It's an 8.1L engine.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:04 AM   #25
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxboy View Post
I checked under the hood. It's an 8.1L engine.
WOW! That is a new one on me!
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote