Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2015, 01:11 PM   #1

N00b from Dallas

I'm in information overload, so I'd love some advice on what you (collectively) would pick as a platform for these needs:

4 total occupants: Me, wife, and daughters - currently 3.5 and 1yrs old, so the bus will need to have room for age growth, but not people growth.

Mostly weekend to week-ish camping in Natl/State parks in Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas.

Eventually branch out further to some of the larger national parks out west.

Maybe annual trips to Iowa, Arizona, Louisana for extended family visits.

No need for toilet/showers. Would like a small kitchenette with a small sink, some food prep space, and a classic coleman two burner stove. space for a medium to large cooler. space for dishware and food prep.

table and seating for the 4 of us.

sleeping space for the 4 of us.

So basically a road trip vehicle with some comforts for camping in parks.

I live on 10acres with plenty of room for storage, but my private road isn't really conducive to a large bus, so I'm leaning towards a shorty.

Where I'm struggling is whether to get a van style, more traditional short school bus, area transit style. diesel or regular gas?

It's not an urgent project, so I'd like some suggestions in line with "hold out for XYZ bus to show up".

let me know if you need further criteria to better assist.

thanks! Michael

thaddeussmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 02:19 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Start by calling your prospective ins companies with VIN's and see what can be done. You may find you *need* that restroom afterall. Do all the boring legal stuff ahead of time to avoid any headaches when it comes time to move a bus down the highway.
Find a couple places that no matter what will be 100% cool and legal to park a bus for extended periods. That is easier said than done. $$$ can help a LOT with this.
The rest of the bus buying is a lot easier once the logistics and legalities are figured out. That's the long hard lesson I had to learn.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 02:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Find a couple places that no matter what will be 100% cool and legal to park a bus for extended periods. That is easier said than done. $$$ can help a LOT with this.
cool, thanks. Like i said, I live on 10 acres... no neighbors, no HOA, no code enforcement. ;)

sooooo, ThaddeusSmith's Bus Barn Storage Depot is open for business. $100/month.
Old 10-14-2015, 02:35 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I'd still figure out where to put a bus... just in case. That's how I feel about the certainty of bus storage.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 03:16 PM   #5

fair enough. ;)
Old 10-14-2015, 08:44 PM   #6
Almost There

Year: 98
Chassis: D
Engine: 7.2L turbo Cat C7 3126
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaddeussmith View Post
Like i said, I live on 10 acres... no neighbors, no HOA, no code enforcement. ;)
Where in Dallas do you have this much land without all the restrictions?
gobygoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:47 PM   #7

Ah, good catch. I live about 50 miles NE of Dallas in Princeton (east of McKinney on 380). I figured it was easier to state Dallas since it's a nationwide forum.

My office is right at Legacy and DNT.

Do you have any localized tips or places with good results for sourcing a short bus?
Old 10-14-2015, 09:12 PM   #8
Almost There

Year: 98
Chassis: D
Engine: 7.2L turbo Cat C7 3126
Rated Cap: 84
That makes a lot more sense. I live in Plano, and my wife and I just bought a 39ft Thomas MVP a few weeks ago from a guy in Decatur. I couldn't find anywhere nearby that would let me store the bus while renovating it, so right now our bus is at a friends house in Willis Point.

As for a finding a bus, we had a good experience with craigslist. But you have to set up an alert or check regularly. Great deals pop up, but within hours they are gone. The buses that stay available for a while are not worth getting.
gobygoby is offline   Reply With Quote