Old 11-21-2016, 06:10 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
I'll second Steve on this..... while a conventional is not my personal preference (I have a RE transit style bus), many people successfully convert conventionals and they make perfectly acceptable living/camping quarters. I could see myself buying and converting one if that one "too good to pass up" deal were to come along. Mechanical condition and engine/drivetrain combo should be first and foremost on your mind when shopping, with amount/degree of rust a very close second. Anything beyond that is strictly personal preference.

Assuming the same engine and transmission in both.... if I had the choice between a transit style that was questionable in mechanics or had too much rust, or a mechanically sound conventional with no (or very little) rust, I'd pick the conventional every time, and adapt my design to work with it.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 07:20 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
I wonder if this may be a consideration:

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...33&acctID=7167
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 07:26 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyCat67 View Post
I'll second Steve on this..... while a conventional is not my personal preference (I have a RE transit style bus), many people successfully convert conventionals and they make perfectly acceptable living/camping quarters. I could see myself buying and converting one if that one "too good to pass up" deal were to come along. Mechanical condition and engine/drivetrain combo should be first and foremost on your mind when shopping, with amount/degree of rust a very close second. Anything beyond that is strictly personal preference.

Assuming the same engine and transmission in both.... if I had the choice between a transit style that was questionable in mechanics or had too much rust, or a mechanically sound conventional with no (or very little) rust, I'd pick the conventional every time, and adapt my design to work with it.
Amen brother AlleyCat!

That is my mindset. I much prefer a rear engine bus but when I saw a DT466/Allison 2000 equipped conventional that looked like it was going to go cheap I was all over it. Less than 100k miles and the bidding sat low right up to the end of the auction. It wound up going for more than I could justify but I would have been thrilled if I had landed that one.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 07:48 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post

I don't know, I'm a little leery of anything where I am not allowed to start it up and test drive it, even if it's no more than a lap or two around the parking lot. Could be a way to hide a problem that they don't want to admit to.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:16 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:

I've seen quite a few of those and they're pretty much beat on. Rode hard and put up wet.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:45 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

I have said this before and I will say it again, there is no one bus that is prefect for every application. That is why there are four different types of buses with various lengths, seating configurations, and power packages. Different states have different minimum spe'c's that are much higher than other state minimum spe'c's which can tend to make them more expensive as a used bus.

For instance, every Type 'C' and Type 'D' bus built for service in CA or WA must have at least one emergency door on the driver's side in addition to the rear emergency door/exit. And on Type 'D' RE buses there needs to be an additional side emergency door on the curb side.

Of the two buses you highlighted I would choose the newer bus for several reasons.
  • The newer bus has a better power package
  • The newer bus has 12" windows so it will have a higher ceiling than the older bus that has 9" windows.
  • The newer bus has the same standard sized tires and wheels on the front and rear axle. The older bus has a lift and it may have a flat floor which would explain the smaller wheels and tires on the drive axle.
  • The newer bus has deeper skirts which makes it easier to hide any of the systems under the floor. Making tanks so you can't see them doesn't make them better but visually it can make a completed bus look less like a school bus.
The only caveat is don't purchase anything that has any sort of rust. Out here on the left coast bad rust is described as the frame rails no longer being shiny black. My B-I-L in MI describes not bad rust as holes you can't read the newspaper through.

Always, always, always spend the $$$ up front to get the bus that will do the job best for you. The cost of repowering and re-gearing can cost 2X-10X the original purchase price.

Many times the 12- and 13-row Type 'C' buses will be considerably less expensive than a 5- or 6-row Type 'C' bus with the same power package, mileage, and condition--it is the most common of all buses made and they make about 100 of them for every Type 'D' bus or 5- or 6-row Type 'C' bus.

Good luck and happy trails to you.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 07:40 AM   #17

You guys and gals are amazing thank you so much for all the help!
MattHatlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 07:48 AM   #18
Bus Nut

Quote:

Most likely a 545 TRANSMISSION.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote