Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2016, 11:54 AM   #1

New and Curious

Hi, I'm Shawna and I do not own a bus ... yet. I am in massage school and have been toying with the idea of turning an old school bus into a mobile massage business. It seemed fitting, as I am currently a teacher, but am leaving that life to do massage. I am curious to hear others' stories about converting buses into something other than homes and RVs. Looking forward to reading the other forum topics and making an informed decision after a lot of research.

Swilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:24 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Hello and welcome to the forum.
It can be done. My fiance Roxy is an LMT. For mobile massage its just much cheaper to have a station wagon or hatchback and a nice portable table. A bus while large for a vehicle would make a fairly cramped place to do massage. It could definitely be done, though. We have friends that do mobile massage at different festivals and events but they just take a table and a tent so that they can actually be inside the event.
Depending on where you're located the massage industry can be a decent paying job. Around here (central Fl) not so much so.
Good thread topic- we will definitely be following along.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:58 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
hey there! I know around here (columbus ohio).. the couple that I know who are massage therapists come to people's homes and set up a table right in the comfort of the client's home...

the clients like it that way as they dont have to venture outside of their home, the yare often nude so theres no getting ready, etc.. the therapist arrives, then the client is right there where theycan relax afterwords...

where i could see a bus as beneficial would be at shows, fairs, conventions, etc.. or even outside of a gym where clients may want to get therapy in a nice air-conditioned comfortable space..

im not sure a school bus is big enough though... I think about myself laying on the floor in the middle of a bus , im a little guy and im thinking a person trying to walk around me would be able to do so but thinking how theres enough room around me on the sides for massage seems tight.. you definitely have the length.. but not sure about width and height...

if you used a traditional RV thats been gutted and re-fitted you could have a slide out or two where thered be alot of room on either side of the table...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:46 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Hi,

What a cool idea. Someplace i would feel comfortable relaxing lol.

Gosh these are 8' wide, surely there is plenty of room for a massage table and masseuse. And there is always the possibility to get a thinner table if needed, but my bet is that it would work.

Wonder if there is a bus nearby where a test run might be possible?

I do Reiki, if i get a table by the Bus i will get some pictures, but wont promise i will get a table there.

Good luck!
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:54 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Well. I'm not into performing any of these services, as such my bus is more likely to go one of three routes. I haven't committed to one yet.

1. I might convert it into a mobile kitchen/food truck.
2. I might turn it into a party wagon with TV, jamming radio, LED lights, Along-The-Walls seating, etc ...
3. I might leave it a passenger-hauler and run it as a Budget Bus.

Then there's always convert it into a home/camper.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:35 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: d466 mechanical
That would be a good idea. There's a guy on Instagram that has a old ups truck that he converted into a mobile traveling barber shop. And on trips across the states he would simply pull into a truck stop and do a shave/cut for some cash. On the roof he'd have surf of snow boards.
Not saying to give massages to truckers (lol).
But, the options of what to do are endless!

Shoot my mom is a psychologist and 1/2 her clients webcam her from home. Mobile business is just expanding more and more.
My friend is my age in college and tows a 2011 Ford Focus behind a beater RV in California and ubers for cash
Old 07-05-2016, 07:44 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carytowncat View Post
...And there is always the possibility to get a thinner table...
In my case, the problem would not be the width of the table...

Shawna, remember that insurance is one of the major hurdles for us all (the others being parking, workspace while converting, and cash for generators, air conditioners, and so on... and on.... and on...). Be sure you have things well mappped out for yourself before a bus purchase. Also, you would need a commercial drivers' license sine this would used in your business. Not impossible to get, but be sure you know what you're in for. We wish you the best!
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:30 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapplecreek View Post
In my case, the problem would not be the width of the table...

Shawna, remember that insurance is one of the major hurdles for us all (the others being parking, workspace while converting, and cash for generators, air conditioners, and so on... and on.... and on...). Be sure you have things well mappped out for yourself before a bus purchase. Also, you would need a commercial drivers' license sine this would used in your business. Not impossible to get, but be sure you know what you're in for. We wish you the best!
CDL's are pretty easy to get... the hard part is when the bus is used as a commercial business vehicle you have to then keep DOT logbooks and have a current DOT sticker on the bus... at lease thats how I understand it...
though there may be a loophole since the bus isnt being used to transport people or goods for hire but sikply transporting your "tools" to the joibsite...

if you get a Bus that is less than 26000 lbs GVWR and less than 16 seats. MANY STATES (chreck with yours) will allow you to slide by without a full commercial vehicle registration and DOT tag, etc..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:31 PM   #9

Hi Shawna,

I just created an account to ask if you continued with this project. I have bought a bus with the intention of using it for mobile massage and wondered if you were successful with this idea or if you went a different route.
TravellingLMT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mobile business