Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2019, 05:52 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
This may come as a huge shock........

It varies by state.....

If you re-rate your GVWR in one state, you could run into challenges traveling to other state.

Here is a good discussion of this subject. Posts 3&4 are particularly relevant.

https://www.expeditersonline.com/for...lowered.21578/
I'm pretty sure the home state's regs are what matters.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:34 AM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
As far as raising the weight limit it gets vague. Here in Va the gross weight of the truck needs to include any trailer you might pull. So for example my 3500 Dodge pickup I have registered at 26,000 lbs. The tag on the door of the truck says 10,500 gross for the truck itself.

I have added tag axles and raised the weight on other trucks, just as simple as asking to raise it.

Now maybe an uninformed DMV clerk?

On the registration on my Dodge it does not give the max truck weight and trailer weight separate, just max gross combined. Would a DOT officer check the weight tag inside the door and declare it overweight if the truck was over that and not the total gross? I kind of think so.

So VA is sloppy about it, but in an accident when things start to get picky I would want to be within the manufacterers weights.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:44 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I'm pretty sure the home state's regs are what matters.
Take a look at posts 3&4 of the link. The gent reached out to LE and asked. The response was something like "that may be how it works in your state but if you come here you may have trouble"

That brings up a question. The topic of drivers license reciprocity has been beat to death here. But I still have questions regarding reciprocity, or lack thereof, of equipment regulations?.

From my own experience I know that max weight and length regulations vary by state and commercial vehicles must comply with each states regs that they pass through.

Example :if I live in Idaho and am licensed to pull triples. Can I pull my triples into Washington? Absolutely not. There is no reciprocity.

When I was back East in my first bus (40'), towing a Ford pickup, I encountered a police officer while parked. He was curious about the bus and we had a nice chat. He commented that he was not going to give me any grief about it but I should probably disconnect the truck and have my wife drive it until we got to the next state because I was obviously over legal length for his state. I can't remember which state I was in.

I don't have a black and white answer but it sure looks like equipment regulations are not reciprocal when it comes to things like Max weight, length, lighting, window tint etc.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:03 AM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I've been told since states vary its the state that its registered in that determines the laws/regs for that particular vessel.
A cop once held my 8 year old brother at gunpoint. Doesn't mean he was right!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 08:43 AM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Take a look at posts 3&4 of the link. The gent reached out to LE and asked. The response was something like "that may be how it works in your state but if you come here you may have trouble"

That brings up a question. The topic of drivers license reciprocity has been beat to death here. But I still have questions regarding reciprocity, or lack thereof, of equipment regulations?.

From my own experience I know that max weight and length regulations vary by state and commercial vehicles must comply with each states regs that they pass through.

Example :if I live in Idaho and am licensed to pull triples. Can I pull my triples into Washington? Absolutely not. There is no reciprocity.

When I was back East in my first bus (40'), towing a Ford pickup, I encountered a police officer while parked. He was curious about the bus and we had a nice chat. He commented that he was not going to give me any grief about it but I should probably disconnect the truck and have my wife drive it until we got to the next state because I was obviously over legal length for his state. I can't remember which state I was in.

I don't have a black and white answer but it sure looks like equipment regulations are not reciprocal when it comes to things like Max weight, length, lighting, window tint etc.
We are getting a bit off topic for the OP, however this is a real point.

Max length I have wondered how reciprocal it is. 65 ft for motorhome and trailer is max in VA, but Maryland is rather short at either 50 or 55ft. Well if towing my boat I am right at 65 ft, what do I do when going through Maryland? So far just go, and I have not had any trouble. But would like to know how this is really handled.

For a trucker dropping off the third trailer before entering the states that do not allow triples can be done. But what about an rv going through and not knowing what each state requires? Besides how do I shorten my boat...not like it is an extra trailer to be dropped and then picked by itself.

I do think commercail is expected to be compliant as they are professionals and should be aware of the law.

Rv's most likely are given some leniency.

So just some pondering of this
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:50 AM   #26
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Not correct. The GVWR can be changed at DMV by the owner.
Yeah, you can lower it pretty easily. In fact I did lower mine with my VT registration. Would they let me raise me it over the original 30k -- I don't know...

But who gives two sh!t's about DMV...
I was referring to real authority; DOT.
And DOT is ONLY going to go by what the manufacturers GVWR is; they are NOT going to care about your "song and dance" story about adding HD springs, airbags, extra axles, unicorn spines, or whatever -- they're just going to write you a ticket for being overloaded -- simple math -- simple story -- end of story...

Except the part about where your insurance company (the other REAL authority) won't like (or cover you in an accident) if you're over-loaded...
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:54 AM   #27
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
I don't think so. I think what you're referring to is the registered weight class of the vehicle being licensed which would apply in states where the cost of registration is determined by the vehicle's weight capacity. I don't think your local license branch is going to certify that your mods to the vehicle are adequate to qualify it for a higher weight capacity than the manufacturer specified. They would be taking a huge risk and putting the state agency at risk of liability if they did something like that and then you had a wreck or failure that resulted from the vehicle being overweight.
Exactly this -- well said sir.
banman is offline   Reply With Quote