Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-13-2019, 11:25 AM   #221
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1
New comer

Hello my name is Carl Shunk and I totally new to this network and the art of converting buses into livable traveling vehicles.

I am more interested in possible converting a shuttle bus or a passenger van into a camping vehicle so I need some suggestions on which way to go and what to look for.....

Thank you!!!
carlshunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:24 PM   #222
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 3
New

Hey guys I am new too the whole skoolie thing. Building one too haul racecar and camp in. Names colan chranofsky and I am from glenwood newfoundland canada. Look forward too talking too all of you.
DoubleDirtyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 02:53 PM   #223
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 6
Hello all,
My husband and I are looking into the skoolie life! We currently live in Katy Texas. We are looking for someone in the Katy or Houston area where we can see someones completed bus so we really know what we are getting into!
BlueisallIneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:32 PM   #224
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 5,737
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueisallIneed View Post
Hello all,
My husband and I are looking into the skoolie life! We currently live in Katy Texas. We are looking for someone in the Katy or Houston area where we can see someones completed bus so we really know what we are getting into!
Katy Texas? Probably no skoolies there.....

Seriously, you have quite a number of neighbors here. I know there are a couple in Katy and quiet a few in the greater Houston area.

Welcome and good luck.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:46 PM   #225
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 6
Thank you! We would love to meet up with anyone in Houston area to see a Skoolie live in the flesh and just talk about their experience. If you know anyone please send them my way!
BlueisallIneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 06:11 PM   #226
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1
Hello everyone! I'm Quinn... Currently in Boston. I am actively looking for a van/bus to convert.
QuinnZaib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 06:14 PM   #227
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 3
Hi, my name is Keith. I bought a skoolie 2005 Chevy 4.8L with 40K miles on it . Was thinking about converting it. But life happens. Now I want to sell it. Is $10.7K a good asking price? What day ye?
Keithk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 06:14 PM   #228
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 3
I have. 2005 Chevy mini bus with 40K miles for sale.
Keithk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:58 PM   #229
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 8,485
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithk View Post
Hi, my name is Keith. I bought a skoolie 2005 Chevy 4.8L with 40K miles on it . Was thinking about converting it. But life happens. Now I want to sell it. Is $10.7K a good asking price? What day ye?
If it's not converted, it's not a Skoolie. Yes, that's a good asking price, doubt you'll get near that but you can ask. GLWS
o1marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 03:48 PM   #230
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: slidell, la
Posts: 1
Where yat, y'all! I'm Gordeaux and my wife and I are still a long way out from being a Skoolie, but this is the first step. I will be lurking through these posts trying to find the answers I need as we look to join the skoolie community with a metal tube of our own. I'm a firm believer in reading first, and asking if I don't find the answer. Unless it's an 'easy' question, like, "what kind and how big of a bus should I buy?" I'll bet no one has ever asked that! lol
Thank you in advance for all the help you're about to give us.
Gordeaux
Gordeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 04:47 PM   #231
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Florida
Posts: 20
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Tc2000
Welcome. There are tons of info here.
Must do whats best for you.
Mine is a 30 footer. Bluebird. With me and the kids i need bigger but will do with we can afford.
Good luck to you guys. Hope to see you out there
NavyVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 10:06 PM   #232
Bus Crazy
 
Sleddgracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: south east BC, close to the Canadian/US border
Posts: 2,265
Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordeaux View Post
Where yat, y'all! I'm Gordeaux and my wife and I are still a long way out from being a Skoolie, but this is the first step. I will be lurking through these posts trying to find the answers I need as we look to join the skoolie community with a metal tube of our own. I'm a firm believer in reading first, and asking if I don't find the answer. Unless it's an 'easy' question, like, "what kind and how big of a bus should I buy?" I'll bet no one has ever asked that! lol
Thank you in advance for all the help you're about to give us.
Gordeaux

I figured out what I need by calculating how big I need the garage to be, and how much room we need for the camper portion, going by what has worked for us before in a motor home - on top of that I didn't want a bus any longer than necessary in anticipation of driving on snowy and/or icy roads into at times tight, crowded spots for parking - worked out that the happy medium was a 10+/- window bus
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:04 PM   #233
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 2
New to bus build

Hello I would like to introduce myself. My family of 5 has been living full time in a 7x14 Cargo trailer conversion for two years. We have out grown it. I'm looking to convert a RE 40ft bus. Having done a conversion before The only real thing I'm wondering about is engine and drive which should I avoid and which ones should I look at.
Thanks
YouTube channel Traveling with JRP
Jpitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 01:34 PM   #234
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 1
Brand New convert to Schoolies: I've fallen in love...

Hi, I'm Patrise, and all my friends think I have LOST MY MIND. When I talk ablout going mobile they look at my with pity, alarm or deep concern. EVERYONE is trying to dissuade me from my mission to eventually go mobile.

And for some reason, the school bus idea seems to worry people even more. I get the feeling if it were an ordinary RV I was talking about, their mind could wrap around it. "Oh, year. Old farts sometimes spend the winter in Florida in an RV, Okay."

I've been lurking around van dwelling sites for some time. I had a Dodge Caravan Stow & Go that was my occasional camper and that was pretty great, even though I didn't customize at all beyond adding a roll-up bed, kitchen bin, cooler and DC fan. It was great for heading to the beach.

Had to replace that van at 200k, so now have a spiffy midsized SUV (murano) that could be slept in, but its missing most of the necessary functions. When I saw a half finished Schoolie build on craigslist I fell in love.

It looks like that deal wont work out now, for a variety of reasons. Mostly because such purchases would not be hasty and passionate, and the problems left to solve could very well exceed the value gained by investing in the minibus without a running engine.

Anyway, "Hi!"

Glad to be here, look forward to browsing around.
Patrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 01:45 PM   #235
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 5,737
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrise View Post
Hi, I'm Patrise, and all my friends think I have LOST MY MIND. When I talk ablout going mobile they look at my with pity, alarm or deep concern. EVERYONE is trying to dissuade me from my mission to eventually go mobile.

And for some reason, the school bus idea seems to worry people even more. I get the feeling if it were an ordinary RV I was talking about, their mind could wrap around it. "Oh, year. Old farts sometimes spend the winter in Florida in an RV, Okay."

I've been lurking around van dwelling sites for some time. I had a Dodge Caravan Stow & Go that was my occasional camper and that was pretty great, even though I didn't customize at all beyond adding a roll-up bed, kitchen bin, cooler and DC fan. It was great for heading to the beach.

Had to replace that van at 200k, so now have a spiffy midsized SUV (murano) that could be slept in, but its missing most of the necessary functions. When I saw a half finished Schoolie build on craigslist I fell in love.

It looks like that deal wont work out now, for a variety of reasons. Mostly because such purchases would not be hasty and passionate, and the problems left to solve could very well exceed the value gained by investing in the minibus without a running engine.

Anyway, "Hi!"

Glad to be here, look forward to browsing around.
I had the same reaction from family and friends before I set out on a 6+ year journey in my 1st bus. I'm so grateful that I didn't listen to them. 44 stares and 250k miles. It was an awesome experience.

Go for it!
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 12:51 PM   #236
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 1
New member

Hello. New member. Trying to find best bus for us. Hoping not to have to raise roof. We're 5'10" both of us. Any suggestions?
Katywaitt@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:35 AM   #237
Mini-Skoolie
 
CalDayton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hudson, NY
Posts: 13
Year: 1999
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT466E/MT643
Rated Cap: 77
Hello everyone,

I'm in the process of converting a 40' 1999 International CE (dognose)

I'm originally from Denver but I just moved to a new interim home base is in upstate NY.

I've found a lot of good information on these forums already and I hope to eventually be able to contribute some of my own.
CalDayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:47 PM   #238
New Member
 
Animistic Katie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: York, Pennsylvania
Posts: 3
Still in idea mode

Hi everyone! Iím Katie from Pennsylvania.

Basically, my boyfriend and I prefer the cash and carry way of life. We would like to be rent and mortgage free and be able to continue the somewhat low paying jobs we love and still be able to save and splurge and feel secure.

My parents have 34 private acres at their residence and we would like to set up home there (at least most of the time). We originally looked into yurts for quite some time because of the larger square footage but the total cost (interior building and all) is likely almost double most bus conversions and you canít exactly pack up and go when the officials find out youíre living illegally. Plus, it wouldnít be easy to get back that investment if you canít sell it the way it stands when the land isnít divided and thereís no septic.

So bus conversion it is! Iím very excited about the possibilities a mobile dwelling would allow. I look forward to learning here!
Animistic Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 02:15 PM   #239
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 7
New to Schoolie

Happy to join this community of experienced skoolies. Thank you for the warm welcome.
Begunahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 02:18 PM   #240
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 7
Hello: Some buses, especially those with handicapped lifts have slightly higher ceilings. City buses are designed for people to stand, so there is a lot of head room. Hope this helps.
Begunahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×