Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-18-2018, 09:14 PM   #141
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,627
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Ever done the inner and outer timing covers on a DT466E?
If so, are you anywhere near FL?
You know it's probably just the outer, and a new gasket that needs doing, right?
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:34 PM   #142
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 15,364
Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
You know it's probably just the outer, and a new gasket that needs doing, right?
No- its got 226k miles and I want to do the updated cover with the extra fasteners if I'm gonna do it. Plus if its getting torn down that far it would be foolish not to replace the oil pump.
If I can't find someone who actually knows about this job and wants to help out I'm likely going to replace the whole engine. The rear main seal leaks, the oil pan leaks, the compressor is shot, the hpop is going to need a re-seal kit, and with the all the "ifs" with this engine I'm leaning towards replacement and more HP/TQ for the fun of it.
I've found reman longblocks for 7 grand that include turbo and injectors. That's 2k less than the dealer wanted to do the covers.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 07:23 AM   #143
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,627
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
No- its got 226k miles and I want to do the updated cover with the extra fasteners if I'm gonna do it. Plus if its getting torn down that far it would be foolish not to replace the oil pump.
If I can't find someone who actually knows about this job and wants to help out I'm likely going to replace the whole engine. The rear main seal leaks, the oil pan leaks, the compressor is shot, the hpop is going to need a re-seal kit, and with the all the "ifs" with this engine I'm leaning towards replacement and more HP/TQ for the fun of it.
I've found reman longblocks for 7 grand that include turbo and injectors. That's 2k less than the dealer wanted to do the covers.
Not a bad idea. 226k in a hot and dusty environment could easily see a School Bus needing a re-sleeve anyway.

I know it's expensive, but you would end up with a bus you could keep for a very long time.
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:09 AM   #144
Skoolie
 
weboughtabus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 181
Year: 2004
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Ford PowerStroke Diesel 6.0
Rated Cap: GVWR 11,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Ever done the inner and outer timing covers on a DT466E?
If so, are you anywhere near FL?
Well, near is a relative term...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (45.0 KB, 13 views)
weboughtabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 01:23 PM   #145
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Tatamagouche
Posts: 2
I have done a lot of frt. covers but the distance is a bit much lol
bluenozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:06 PM   #146
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 1
Year: 1998
Talking Hello!

Hi everyone! I wanted to introduce myself...former tiny house dweller to a gal converting a school bus into my new home.
I am brand new to forums so might take me a while to navigate around here.
You can google and follow my journey @lissettelivingtiny
Lastly I want to thank the human that started this fabulous page on the internet full of awesome information. I would have been very lost without you.
Look forward to positive discussions!

lissettelivingtiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:20 PM   #147
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Brunswick, GA
Posts: 146
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Hi, Lissette!! Welcome to the madness - lots of information here - lots of opinions - just read, re-read, and enjoy the ride. There are plenty of threads covering most aspects of Skoolie conversions. If you don't find an answer to your question in the forums, feel free to ask!!

I took the dive about a month and a half ago, have finished demolition, and am beginning my construction phase. Almost all my "grubby" clothes have been christened with grease stains, and I've managed to miss my fingers over 99% of the time with the hammer and chisel. Of course - with 500ish rivets removed, those 5 hits were memorable!
TrailLifeBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:50 AM   #148
Mini-Skoolie
 
Green Gypsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 16
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: CAT 3116 Inline 6 6 Liter
Rated Cap: 71
Posting pics

Hi All!
I know this is off topic but since its in the new member thread I figured it would be okay to post. I know there was a thread to explain how to post pics but now I can't find it. If its not too much trouble, would someone mind giving me the link to that thread? I have some pics of the demo of our bus I would like to post.

Thanks everyone!
Green Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:19 PM   #149
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Greater Houston, Tx.
Posts: 546
I can't get to the link right now, but I believe that AFTER you have 5 (or so) posts, you can post pictures.
It's rumored, that if you reduce the size of the pictures, they will straighten themselves up and appear upright. (I love magic)

1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:56 PM   #150
Mini-Skoolie
 
Green Gypsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 16
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: CAT 3116 Inline 6 6 Liter
Rated Cap: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1olfart View Post
I can't get to the link right now, but I believe that AFTER you have 5 (or so) posts, you can post pictures.
It's rumored, that if you reduce the size of the pictures, they will straighten themselves up and appear upright. (I love magic)

Thanks so much! Magic huh?
Green Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.