Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2021, 09:39 AM   #301
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2016
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: E450
Engine: Ford V8 or V10 Flex Fuel
Delayed intro

I am a few weeks late on the intro. I got lost. When there was new comment, I grabbed that thread and followed it in. 😁

Hello! I have been a lurker here since .... the 90's? Close to, if not. I joined several years ago to make a comment or ask a question or I don't remember. I have wanted a skoolie for 50 years. Once i saw a real skoolie and not a PileIn AndDrive, there was no turning back. Why so slow? Work, family and strong opposition from the ones who matter.

Husband and I are both retired Health Care. We both retired a couple of years before we planned because age got in the way. He has had MS for over 40 years and it was starting to interfere and i had a bad back that was just an irritation that a couple of rods would fix until i broke my shoulder. The aggressive PT to get that working, lifting my husband from bed to chair and back again and I'm down. Funny how life works.

I planned to retire and travel then all that crap and I will NOT spend our remaining years in this 80's built house and he sits and looks at a screen for the rest of his life. All opposition aside, although now that he is a complete quadriplegic with one kind of working arm and I say for the 357th time that the first time i use that wall mounted lift in and RV to pick him up, he and the lift will crash to the ground with a wall on top, the light bulb FINALLY turned on. I am surrounded by people completely lacking in foresight. So now that they are onboard, I am going to be building a Skoolie, at my age and with my back, those geniuses are going to find themselves out there helping me build it. When they started whining and complaining, i will ignore most of it but when I have had enough, I will tell them that they spent all of their whining and complaini g over the last twenty years on why this is a bad idea and they will suck it up and get back to work. So here we are

I am looking at a Ford F450 Super Duty 6 window (12 counting both sides) front lift shuttle bus. It is hard to find them with the lift in the front, but they can be found. I just found one in decent shape only 2 hours from good friends who can look for rust and listen for knocks and feel for a spastic transmission. Here's hoping they find nothing and the bank is in a decent mood when Iask them to front me the cash. I won't have a rear lift since he has cast iron foot rests and his travel is as the crow flies. If his destination is off to the left or right, I am going to have no corners left on any cabinets.

I cannot remember what else I thought was worth saying with the first intro that i had lost. It is clearly no so important, today. Hello everyone!

Maobfh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 05:38 PM   #302
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
Yeah. I wiped their noses and everything else......so they owe me!

Whip it good!

Peace
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 06:44 PM   #303
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 08:37 AM   #304

Year: 2005
Coachwork: BLUE BIRD
Rated Cap: 71
Thank you very much for providing a wonderful site! Also,
thank you to everyone for taking the time helping everyone out.
I just started on my skoolie, oh boy its a learning experience! So far, I suggest investing in a floor scraper it has a long handle! its great for 1. not killing your back 2. getting the old sealant off, A wet/ dry shop vac, and a pressure washer. They save you abit of time.

Man, its awesome being apart of a community were we all do our part helping each other! We are lucky.

To this thread post. I agree fully. Im pretty sure they have specific sites for that kinda other talk. Lol.

Thanks again for everything.
Spirited Away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 11:30 PM   #305

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Gmc/ bluebird 32 pass handicap
Engine: Cat. 3116. At 545 hyd brakes
Rated Cap: 32 passenger
Hello

I am a Skooli conversion travel and live life wanna be. Currently waiting on much needed back surgery while I figure out where I want to relocate my downsized sticks and bricks so I can begin my build and experience life.

Thinking a 10 window (30-35ft) length. Do not know much about Diesel engines so am a little intimidated by the prospect but know best choice. I am on several fb forums where I have learned a lot and am trying g to navigate my way through sone local Louisiana amd mississippi s hook district sales.

Open for all advice. Experience is after all the best teacher.
I welcome it ….. happy motoring!
LostYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 07:11 AM   #306
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2016
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: E450
Engine: Ford V8 or V10 Flex Fuel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
Yeah. I wiped their noses and everything else......so they owe me!

Whip it good!

Peace
I ignored that at first. My kids and other children i raised do NOT owe for anything under 30. But if you want to return home after 30 with children in tow for me to raise? And living in my house rent free when I planned to sell it years before. Saddle up, son, and meet me outside.

Peace. Indeed.
Maobfh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 09:25 AM   #307
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 0000
Coachwork: Soon to come 2021
Chassis: Soon to come 2021
Engine: Soon to come 2021
Rated Cap: Soon to come 2021
Cool Hi. I’m new.

Hi all. I am new here. I’m in NC and looking for a converted bus for about $10,000. I’m willing to do some cosmetic work. But it is just me and I work full time and run a business. I would appreciate any assistance as I am still learning. Feel free to send information, possible buses for sale, resources, etc. I am open to all. I am willing to travel to purchase. Thank you and Many Blessings . 🖤🖤🖤✨✨✨
Mysustainablelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 08:05 PM   #308

Hiya, we are a family of 2 adults 4 children from 7 down to 6months and a dog. We might be a little crazy trying to cram so much life in 17 ft of live-able space along with a mobile vintage store but that’s exactly what the plan is. We of course are new to nomadic living and are just beginning our build.

Why? Well we have talked about it but felt there were too many reason not to go for it. Then I guess all the lights came on and we realized we just need to go for the things we want and not wait “until all the kids are grown up”. I expect having them with us will complicate but also richen the experience. I don’t know how long we will do this but we’re going for it!!
Vicki.Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 12:13 PM   #309
Bus Nut

Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Vicki, I applaud your bravery and think it will be amazing! Happy travels!
Diverdude0075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 01:22 PM   #310

First Timer

Hi, I am fixitvik13 in New Jersey. I have 2005 Blue bird, I have removed all the seats except driver seat. Now I was told I can register this as a cab & chassis. What is the most cost effective way to register it so I can drive it to the shops to make repairs & buy while I am converting it to an RV? Any direction would be greatly appreciated Thanks.
Fixitvik13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 03:16 PM   #311
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixitvik13 View Post
Hi, I am fixitvik13 in New Jersey. I have 2005 Blue bird, I have removed all the seats except driver seat. Now I was told I can register this as a cab & chassis. What is the most cost effective way to register it so I can drive it to the shops to make repairs & buy while I am converting it to an RV? Any direction would be greatly appreciated Thanks.
Immediately register it in Vt. by mail as an RV. Then get appropriate insurance, possibly a commercial for private use policy for now, and then the cheaper RV insurance when completed.
Old 08-30-2021, 09:13 AM   #312

Looks Good

Judging by the site rules, I'm in the right place. I'm looking for info on skoolies to see if my thinking is correct.
Michaela75662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 01:11 PM   #313
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaela75662 View Post
Judging by the site rules, I'm in the right place. I'm looking for info on skoolies to see if my thinking is correct.
Pull up a chair and prepare to spend some time reading as much as you an here. All your answers are here. Welcome to the madness.
Old 10-24-2021, 12:43 PM   #314

I have just purchased a 2005 Chevy Express 3500 with a Bluebird Microbus body and I am getting it ready. Previous owners ripped out the seats already and did floors and lower walls. They also started framing out the floorplan, but it does not work for me and so we are removing that work. I have laid out a scaled interior, planned the electrical system, mostly-planned the water system and almost designed how the bed will world. And I had the undercarriage treated. I think I have sort of almost gotten a kind of start.
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 01:58 PM   #315
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
I have just purchased a 2005 Chevy Express 3500 with a Bluebird Microbus body and I am getting it ready. Previous owners ripped out the seats already and did floors and lower walls. They also started framing out the floorplan, but it does not work for me and so we are removing that work. I have laid out a scaled interior, planned the electrical system, mostly-planned the water system and almost designed how the bed will world. And I had the undercarriage treated. I think I have sort of almost gotten a kind of start.
Advice: make sure the bus is absolutely, completely watertight before blocking access to the roof and windows.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 02:03 PM   #316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker View Post
Advice: make sure the bus is absolutely, completely watertight before blocking access to the roof and windows.
Good advice. Been working on it already. Water scares me!
Old 10-31-2021, 07:13 PM   #317
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: Express 3500
Engine: 5.7L GM 8cyl
Rated Cap: 14
Hi, new here. Just looking around for inspiration sake. I have a converted Chevy express 3500 mini bus. Converted since 1/19. Planning to go solo trippin in the spring. I have a kid who will be in CO and one in WA - two beautiful excuses to visit two beautiful places and everything in between! I’ve been in Massachusetts way too long! Thanks, Hilary
Hilary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 07:47 AM   #318

The 3500 Crowd

Hi Hilary. I am hoping to finish the state inspection today (I had a horn malfunction because it was sitting and a backup light out due to a grounding problem.) Then we are tearing out existing work and starting at the skin with soundproofing and insulation. Bluebird Microbus on a Chevy Express 3500. Out kids are also grown and out on their own. Maybe we will run into each other soon!
Old 11-01-2021, 08:43 PM   #319
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: Express 3500
Engine: 5.7L GM 8cyl
Rated Cap: 14
3500 crowd 👍

Hey Darrel, that’s one reason I decided to check this out. It would be nice to know some people when I head out. It’d be great to have a 3500 gathering!

Good luck with the build.
Hilary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 06:43 PM   #320

Hello Everyone,

We are new here snd to the Skoolie community��
I have been retired gor 4 .5 yrs and my wife is still working like a dog (no offense intended) she wants a skoolie to retire to in. I thought st first shes’s crazy. I took her to see RV’s and i said holy cow the prices are more than i paid for my house. So im going to need a lot of help achiving her goal Im not sure how to achive a lot of the things to be done and not capable of doing a lot due to age. Im an ASC certified mechanic by trade. Shes a realtor and owns a real estate and maintenance company. Shes more handy at a lot of house repairs than i am. We are willing to pay for help when necessary. We have been married 43 years. Shes my high school sweetheart ��. Engines are all me. Im not asking anyone for free help if needed. Just need knowledgeable people. To advise us. Shes wanting to give our daughter and son the businesses in 2 years. I hope im in the right group. Shes the love of my life and would love to fulfill her dream.
Papaw Bob
Crazyma&pa is offline   Reply With Quote