Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2018, 03:46 PM   #101

Hello from Texas!

Hi! I'm Eeve, I'm still in the planning stages so no bus...yet. I'm planning to go full time with me and my two kids, so I want to research for something that will last me a long time and will have plenty of space for the three of us and a little extra for guests who will be joining here and there. For now I'm learning all that I can so I can make the least amount of mistakes and in the mean time I'm saving as much money so I am as prepared as possible. Any and all advise will be greatly appreciated. I've been researching on my own for the last year, but I'm still a novice so I'll take all the help I can get.

Eeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:00 PM   #102
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Welcome Eeve.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:10 PM   #103
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeve View Post
Hi! I'm Eeve, I'm still in the planning stages so no bus...yet. I'm planning to go full time with me and my two kids, so I want to research for something that will last me a long time and will have plenty of space for the three of us and a little extra for guests who will be joining here and there. For now I'm learning all that I can so I can make the least amount of mistakes and in the mean time I'm saving as much money so I am as prepared as possible. Any and all advise will be greatly appreciated. I've been researching on my own for the last year, but I'm still a novice so I'll take all the help I can get.
Indeed welcome and enjoy your enthusiasm!
But,....
you, two kids, all the amenities, and room for guests all in a bus?
They are only 40feet x 8 feet at most. Ho can you even think about a bus?
Seriously, I have 35 feet, not 40 and just myself and gf occasionally.
It is tight for space at that believe me.

Best of luck tho,

John
Old 01-04-2018, 05:40 PM   #104

I don't mind the smaller space, I much prefer the smaller space. I originally was going to get either a tiny house or backpacking as a nomad, but I decided on a bus instead. The guest that I mention also understand that it will not be a lot of space, but they just want to join for the occasion adventure. I want to live a more simple lifestyle, but I understand it will still be a big change for us.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:48 PM   #105
Bus Nut

Quote:
I don't mind the smaller space, I much prefer the smaller space. I originally was going to get either a tiny house or backpacking as a nomad, but I decided on a bus instead. The guest that I mention also understand that it will not be a lot of space, but they just want to join for the occasion adventure. I want to live a more simple lifestyle, but I understand it will still be a big change for us.
Check out YT...families of 6 and more this

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:54 PM   #106
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:

I totally hear you Eeve but people need clothes, shoes boots etc and here do you put those along with food, pots, pans etc. Sure you can sleep a fair number but it's all those extras, pretty cramped I suggest. But hey, just sayinn,...

John
Old 01-04-2018, 06:03 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgsfanasty View Post
Check out YT...families of 6 and more this

Oh for sure, I have been following many big families on YT and a few bloggers. They have been great for getting ideas on storage and space for the necessities. I was already downsizing for the ideas of living minimal, which when I was researching for nomad lifestyle that's pretty much as minimal as you can get.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:10 PM   #108
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Howdy Eeve & Welcome! --- Always good to have another Texian on board. There are quite a few of us here in Houston. And you have definitely found the best source on the web for Skoolie info. Super bunch of folks here who will jump in with answers, experience and opinions. Don't hesitate to ask questions but do be prepared for some goodhearted snarkiness, bad puns and otherwise interesting commentary.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:20 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Howdy Eeve & Welcome! --- Always good to have another Texian on board. There are quite a few of us here in Houston. And you have definitely found the best source on the web for Skoolie info. Super bunch of folks here who will jump in with answers, experience and opinions. Don't hesitate to ask questions but do be prepared for some goodhearted snarkiness, bad puns and otherwise interesting commentary.
Thank you! I look forward to learning from everyone. I can handle some good old snark and I can be pretty punny myself.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:56 PM   #110
Mini-Skoolie

Dreamer

Recently watched the local school district auction off a bunch of '99 Blue Bird 84 passenger buses, and I've been infected with the conversion bug (no known vaccine available).
I'm close to retirement age, was planning on buying some land and building a house in NW New Mexico, but that takes a lot of time.
I'm thinking my time may be better spent converting a bus and traveling. Planning on solar electric, with propane heating, and looking for all the ideas and advice I can find!
Dave in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:31 PM   #111
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Tucson View Post
Recently watched the local school district auction off a bunch of '99 Blue Bird 84 passenger buses, and I've been infected with the conversion bug (no known vaccine available).
Hi-

I've been told by a wise bus guy that the Az stuff is wrung-out due to the budget cuts, so best to avoid. I was thinking about getting one of those, too, but the milage scared me away.

Maybe try Salpointe, JCC or St. Gregory.

Go Wildcats !!!
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:44 PM   #112
Mini-Skoolie

Ok, these were all in the 300k mileage range, with a 8.3 C series Cummins diesel, and an Allison MT643 transmission. I was led to believe these were ok up to about 700k?
Final auction price on these was in the 3-3.5k range. Good deal or not?
Dave in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:33 PM   #113
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Ok, these were all in the 300k mileage range, with a 8.3 C series Cummins diesel, and an Allison MT643 transmission. I was led to believe these were ok up to about 700k?
It was a good deal, 150k ago.

Now some or all of them are tired and ready for a rebuild. THEN they will go to 700k, but it's a big investment.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:37 PM   #114
Bus Crazy

Quote:
The price is not bad.

A Cummins 8.3L 6CT/ISC is conservatively rated to be a 500K mile engine with no major issues. Which mean in normal service 500K-750K could be expected with no problems.

The problem with that is school buses are one step down from garbage trucks as the most severe service a commercial vehicle experiences. Most school bus professionals will consider each mile on a school bus equal to be at least 2X of any other normal service use. The multiple start/stop cycles in a day in addition to the fact the engines rarely ever get up to operating temperatures is about as bad as it can get. The last school bus I drove on route for a school I drove 27 miles per day with seven different components to that route. Which meant in 27 miles I did a start/stop cycle at least 14 times per day.

The only school buses I would consider with high mileage would be the trip buses from MT or WY schools that are less than ten years old that have over 350K miles on them. Those buses had 3X to 4X the number of miles put on in a year than almost any other school bus. Those buses could be expected to get to 500+K miles without any problems. Those AZ buses I would not bet the cost of an engine rebuild that the engines have much more than 50K miles left in them.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:39 PM   #115
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
It depends. It would have been a good deal for me as I have a spare low mile 6CTA here.

It's not the miles alone, it's the hours. Bus miles are considered severe duty due to stops/starts & idle time. Double the miles for rough idea of wear. District low on cash scrimps on maintenance.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 04:29 AM   #116
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Not a good deal with HIGH miles and HIGH hours.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:25 PM   #117
Mini-Skoolie

Hi everybody! we can't decide if we should buy a flat nose bus or a dog nose You may call us The Cofuseds!
We don't know if we should increase the budget and buy a newer bus (from 2005+) or invest less and get an older model (from the 90s).
We don't know if we go 7 to 8 windows or 10 to 14 windows
We have outgrown our van conversion but it was done just for vacation camping anyway. We are a family of 3 and when we see a family of 8 in a 40-foot bus we think we should fit in a shortie bus.
While the shortie is out for us, would a civic survive being towed into forest roads or BLM roads?
AraS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:37 PM   #118
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AraS View Post
Hi everybody! we can't decide if we should buy a flat nose bus or a dog nose You may call us The Cofuseds!
We don't know if we should increase the budget and buy a newer bus (from 2005+) or invest less and get an older model (from the 90s).
We don't know if we go 7 to 8 windows or 10 to 14 windows
We have outgrown our van conversion but it was done just for vacation camping anyway. We are a family of 3 and when we see a family of 8 in a 40-foot bus we think we should fit in a shortie bus.
While the shortie is out for us, would a civic survive being towed into forest roads or BLM roads?
My concern with towing a vehicle is the extreme difference in tire sizes...but if your are not 22 buds not such a issue...the other issue is the towed tranny...I've heard folks say you might overheat(ie: cook it) the towed tranny...Idk for and don't know about roads either

Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:09 PM   #119
Mini-Skoolie

thank you for your reply Jdawgsfanasty but now I know that I know less than I thought knew...
AraS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:17 PM   #120
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/Allison
Rated Cap: 74
FE or conv is a personal choice if you are used to driving a van then you are used to sitting on top of the steer tires FE is just a larger version.Conv (dog nose) is more car like. My advice is to avoid some 2004 and all 2005 and up diesel smog powered buses the cost of the bus is high and down time and repairs higher! I don't believe anyone on this site would recommend otherwise.