Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2017, 01:04 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

New & Would like to see a bus in person!

Hello All,

Our family of four is planning on going full time RVing by the end of this year! Man, there is SO MUCH to do between then. We've been doing a lot of research for the last 4 months, and we decide that we do not want a trailer to tow. We'd rather tow our car. One decision down.

Now we're really having a tough time deciding whether we want a motorhome, school bus conversion or a grayhound bus type conversion. We know that we need enough from to squeeze in a bunkbeds and washer/dryer combo. I'm hoping coming here will help us figure this out. First, I think it's worth mentioning that the hubby works in Maintenance and is Mechanically skilled. He has years of experience in woodworking, 8 years in boat building and 3 years in RV building, so rehab/remodeling a bus does not scare him off. Though we'd prefer not to start from scratch, just because of lack of time (and energy).

We seem to always lean towards a school bus because we like that it's able to go just about anywhere, BUT we also need storage. Is it possible to make storage under the bus? We plan to do half boondocking, and state parks, though we would like the option of staying at campgrounds. What are the requirements for a school bus to enter a campground?

LAST QUESTION! We'd love to actually see a bus/s in person, so we can be sure this is what we want to do! We live in Central PA. Anyone near by that we can take a look at your rig?

EdwardsCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:34 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardsCrew View Post
Hello All,

Our family of four is planning on going full time RVing by the end of this year! Man, there is SO MUCH to do between then. We've been doing a lot of research for the last 4 months, and we decide that we do not want a trailer to tow. We'd rather tow our car. One decision down.

Now we're really having a tough time deciding whether we want a motorhome, school bus conversion or a grayhound bus type conversion. We know that we need enough from to squeeze in a bunkbeds and washer/dryer combo. I'm hoping coming here will help us figure this out. First, I think it's worth mentioning that the hubby works in Maintenance and is Mechanically skilled. He has years of experience in woodworking, 8 years in boat building and 3 years in RV building, so rehab/remodeling a bus does not scare him off. Though we'd prefer not to start from scratch, just because of lack of time (and energy).

We seem to always lean towards a school bus because we like that it's able to go just about anywhere, BUT we also need storage. Is it possible to make storage under the bus? We plan to do half boondocking, and state parks, though we would like the option of staying at campgrounds. What are the requirements for a school bus to enter a campground?

LAST QUESTION! We'd love to actually see a bus/s in person, so we can be sure this is what we want to do! We live in Central PA. Anyone near by that we can take a look at your rig?

Welcome!!! I'm in Florida, but I'm sure you can find someone up there willing to let you look at their rig. I'm loving my skoolie!

Sandi
www.thismidwifetravels.com
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:48 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Welcome, glad you are here!

How exciting! Traveling family.

I have a 35ft GMC. It has a nice storage on the passenger underneath, AND i just build the frame for another 5ft of storage under the drivers side. Some cats here even build decks and even patios; I love it! Storage for days.

The GMC has luggage racks the entire length of the bus, which i had planned to yank out until i realized how useful they are for me and how little the side ceilings are of use for anything more than storage.

As for time constraints; i rarely find joy in rushing and am amazed that there is always enough time. Maybe that's true... at least sometimes it is

Good luck! I am excited to see which bus finds you.
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote