Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-30-2019, 08:37 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina USA
Posts: 12
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas Bloodmobile
Engine: swap in progress -- 12 valve Cummins Diesel
Rated Cap: 87
New Bloodmobile -- Charlotte NC Area

Hi Everyone!

I'm Eric -- just bought a 1990 Thomas Bloodmobile. She had a short life as a party bus before I bought her -- somebody ignored the idiot lights and blew the engine.

Should I keep the stripper poles? Ha ha! I'm sure I can find a new purpose for them.

I am in the process of replacing the original Caterpillar 3208 Diesel engine with a Cummins 12V 5.9 liter 6BT. According to this article, it's a great choice:

https://www.drivingline.com/articles...diesel-engine/

Anybody Agree/disagree?

I negotiated the new engine as part of the purchase. You can see the photos of my bus in my profile -- I've not done any interior work YET, but I'm busy plotting and scheming on what I might do.

Originally, I'd planned to rip out the built-ins and replace them with IKEA cabinets (I work there a lil' part-time) . . . but then I noticed just how high-quality the original plywood/venner is. So now I'm considering how I might re-purpose some of what's there and add to it.

Either way, those florescent lights have to GO!

Oh -- I'm 49 years old, gay dude who lives in and around Charlotte, North Carolina USA.

Glad to be part of an interesting new community and enjoy making friends of all types!
e
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bloodmobile-RightSide.jpg (48.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg MeRedHatHi.jpg (12.0 KB, 42 views)
invictus28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 07:24 AM   #2
Bus Crazy
 
HazMatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: E Central Tejas
Posts: 1,997
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Welcome to the looney bin!
Looks like an excellent platform to modify, but given it's last incarnation, some serious deconn is called for.
For most of us, fluid leaks are of concern under the bus, not in it..!
__________________
Those who say that it cannot be done should not interrupt the people doing it.
HazMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 07:38 AM   #3
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 18,490
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Bloodmobiles are awesome!

I wouldn't pay more than a grand or so, though. Usually non runners go for scrap value.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:32 AM   #4
Bus Nut
 
Drew Bru's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Minnehaha Co., SD
Posts: 629
Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Welcome! Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.
__________________
Our Build: https://dazzlingbluebus.wordpress.com/
Drew Bru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:06 AM   #5
Bus Crazy
 
Sleddgracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: south east BC, close to the Canadian/US border
Posts: 1,992
Chassis: still looking for my bus
Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus28 View Post
Hi Everyone!

I'm Eric -- just bought a 1990 Thomas Bloodmobile. She had a short life as a party bus before I bought her -- somebody ignored the idiot lights and blew the engine.

Should I keep the stripper poles? Ha ha! I'm sure I can find a new purpose for them.

I am in the process of replacing the original Caterpillar 3208 Diesel engine with a Cummins 12V 5.9 liter 6BT. According to this article, it's a great choice:

https://www.drivingline.com/articles...diesel-engine/

Anybody Agree/disagree?

I negotiated the new engine as part of the purchase. You can see the photos of my bus in my profile -- I've not done any interior work YET, but I'm busy plotting and scheming on what I might do.

Originally, I'd planned to rip out the built-ins and replace them with IKEA cabinets (I work there a lil' part-time) . . . but then I noticed just how high-quality the original plywood/venner is. So now I'm considering how I might re-purpose some of what's there and add to it.

Either way, those florescent lights have to GO!

Oh -- I'm 49 years old, gay dude who lives in and around Charlotte, North Carolina USA.

Glad to be part of an interesting new community and enjoy making friends of all types!
e
a high ceiling bus - very desirable
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:39 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina USA
Posts: 12
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas Bloodmobile
Engine: swap in progress -- 12 valve Cummins Diesel
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by haz.matt.1960 View Post
Welcome to the looney bin!
Looks like an excellent platform to modify, but given it's last incarnation, some serious deconn is called for.
For most of us, fluid leaks are of concern under the bus, not in it..!
Hahahaha! Good one.
Maybe I should name her, "Cleanup on Aisle 7"?
e
invictus28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:39 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina USA
Posts: 12
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas Bloodmobile
Engine: swap in progress -- 12 valve Cummins Diesel
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
a high ceiling bus - very desirable
She's only about 6'4" in the center -- although I'd love to have her stretched a bit taller -- maybe that's possible in the future.

Thanks!
e
invictus28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:41 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina USA
Posts: 12
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas Bloodmobile
Engine: swap in progress -- 12 valve Cummins Diesel
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
Welcome! Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.
Thanks! Me too!

My good friend will bring her tools and come down from Michigan to help me with the reconfiguration of the interior.

I think the first step is going to be, as others have suggested, a thorough cleaning!

Thanks,
e
invictus28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:43 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina USA
Posts: 12
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas Bloodmobile
Engine: swap in progress -- 12 valve Cummins Diesel
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Bloodmobiles are awesome!

I wouldn't pay more than a grand or so, though. Usually non runners go for scrap value.
I think I negotiated a pretty good deal at about $5.5G for the bus, engine-swap, and a thorough road readiness going-over.

I'll know more after she's running -- hopefully by the middle of July.

Thanks,
e
invictus28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 10:05 AM   #10
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 18,490
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus28 View Post
I think I negotiated a pretty good deal at about $5.5G for the bus, engine-swap, and a thorough road readiness going-over.

I'll know more after she's running -- hopefully by the middle of July.

Thanks,
e
Not bad at all!
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
5.9 6bt, bloodmobile, charlotte, cummins, thomas

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.