Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2015, 08:12 PM   #1

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
New in Town...

Hello. We are new to the skoolie concept. I think we may have went about this backwards. I bought a bus, then thought "maybe there is something on the internet about this.". And guess what I found?
So, as you can see, if I filled stuff out correctly...I bought a 92 ford b700. It has a 5.9 cummins engine. I haven't looked yet to see what tranny it has. She has 148k on it, and seems to run good and strong. Never had a bus before though. It also looks like it has hydrolic brakes instead of air brakes. Is that possible?
Is there anything I need to be thinking about with this particular bus? Are they known for having issues or anything? Thanks in advance, Dan

Bruton Gastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:52 PM   #2

I just heard about this today - often thought about "why drive x miles to work when i could sleep in some "thing" local" --- i saw that story online about the group of college kids that converted a bus.

To me - this is insanely intimidating - i have no skills to bring --- most reads here -- people know alot about ?? engines or electrical or .... - they HAVE the tools /most of them -

My son is now 28yo -- i recall when the then wife said "we should go to the hospital" - i was fixing the Honda 250 --- to go buy brake parts for the Chevy Nova - I scraped rivets into drums the whole 10 mile drive. Can still picture in my mind what those drums looked like later... at some shop.

http://begrizly.com/lifestyle/travel...is-incredible/
hansenmv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:09 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Welcome.

I have the same bus. Many pictures of the systems of the bus can be found here.

Nat_ster's Haul All - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Your brakes are called "Lucas Girling" hydraulic brakes.

The rear brakes have a park brake that looks a bit like a air brake pot. However, it is a spring that locks the brakes till hydraulic pressure is applied to release the spring.

This can be used as a safety brake system if you loose all hydraulic brakes.

It is one of the most expensive brake systems to over haul. However, a brake job will last a long time if used correctly.

Do you have a auto or a standard transmission?

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:03 AM   #4

Hey Nat, thanks for your response. I see your posts on this site all over the place, so that's kind of cool we have the same bus...at least to me it is.
My tranny is an automatic, and later today I was going to climb under the bus and see what it is. You prob know, but wanted to see for myself. We have snow on the ground, but was hoping most of it would be melted by noon...before we get hit again tonight. I will also get a picture of it. Someone posted if there aren't any pictures, it didn't happen. So pics to come.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:04 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
What part of Colorado are you in?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:17 AM   #6

For now we live and work at a camp up here in the high country. We are just south of Estes Park on Hwy 7. We have the best view of Longs peak every morning that I wake up. We live at 9000 feet where the air is thinning. Do you know colorado or lived here?
Old 11-10-2015, 08:40 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I've visited and its the only place I've ever really LOVED outside of my home.

I have lots of friends up there, mostly in Colorado Springs. But I like the north part of CO.
Ft Collins area is pretty nice. My best friends just honeymooned in Estes.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote