Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2017, 07:48 PM   #41
Mini-Skoolie

https://jonesboro.craigslist.org/cto...353876654.html

Okay I know craigslist isn't a good idea but does this bus seem like it would make a good conversion? Is this too expensive for what it is? I probably won't buy THIS ONE but having an idea of what things should cost might help me

Kaitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:16 PM   #42
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitey View Post
https://jonesboro.craigslist.org/cto...353876654.html

Okay I know craigslist isn't a good idea but does this bus seem like it would make a good conversion? Is this too expensive for what it is? I probably won't buy THIS ONE but having an idea of what things should cost might help me
Actually, that looks like a pretty good bus! It's pretty much identical to mine, including the mileage. And the price isn't so bad, either.

Sandi
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:45 PM   #43
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Absolutely. Not to bad at all. I've read some negative things recently about the "E" designation on the later models of that engine. I'd go for a decent running bus like that if I needed a replacement while on the other side of the country.

And just stick it in our faces for talking bad about Craigslist.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:22 PM   #44
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
LOL. I'm mainly just looking to see what a logical price point would be for different types of buses. My dad suggests an International 466 engine, so I'm especially looking for one with that. (He's been a truck driver longer than I've been alive and knows a thing or two about diesel engines and will be going bus shopping with me so he can look at the engine AND drive it home without being illegal.)
Old 11-27-2017, 09:24 PM   #45
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Absolutely. Not to bad at all. I've read some negative things recently about the "E" designation on the later models of that engine. I'd go for a decent running bus like that if I needed a replacement while on the other side of the country.

The "E" isn't much of a problem.

The problem is that all diesel engines have been gradually loaded with more and more emissions control devices.

It started with EGR, moved on to various injector changes, then DPF (diesel particulate filters) made themselves known and now we have DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) injected into the exhaust.

Any one of these can mess up what is, at its heart, a simple and reliable beast. So much so that CAT quit supplying this engine market, and Navistar foisted the Maxxforce series on us.

Again, for the home mechanic, pre-emissions engines are more reliable and easier to work on.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:50 AM   #46
Mini-Skoolie

Ah okay. I'll look up the years for those then
Old 11-28-2017, 07:12 AM   #47
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
The "E" on the motor isn't a bad thing, but at a glance I can pick out a few things.

The T444E is a great motor for a short bus! I have one in my short bus. That isn't a short bus, and it's less great when you're pushing a few extra tons. Along with that, they say it has a 4 speed auto. That probably means an AT545 transmission, which isn't exactly awful but nobody ever was excited to have (I have the 542, which is basically the same except for fluid capacity).

Now don't take this as me crapping on the bus. For a craigslist bus that's a great price! I wouldn't shy away from driving that engine/transmission combo around the country, in fact that's what I did this year. But if you can find a DT466E or really any other transmission those would both be improvements.

Ultimately, I'd seriously consider buying that bus, and would go look at it right away because it won't last at that price.

Edit: One more thing, the GVWR is over 26k which I understand to mean you need a federal class B license to operate, although I've only heard of that being enforced in one state.
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:17 AM   #48
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
The "E" on the motor isn't a bad thing, but at a glance I can pick out a few things.

The T444E is a great motor for a short bus! I have one in my short bus. That isn't a short bus, and it's less great when you're pushing a few extra tons. Along with that, they say it has a 4 speed auto. That probably means an AT545 transmission, which isn't exactly awful but nobody ever was excited to have (I have the 542, which is basically the same except for fluid capacity).

Now don't take this as me crapping on the bus. For a craigslist bus that's a great price! I wouldn't shy away from driving that engine/transmission combo around the country, in fact that's what I did this year. But if you can find a DT466E or really any other transmission those would both be improvements.

Ultimately, I'd seriously consider buying that bus, and would go look at it right away because it won't last at that price.
Agreed, for the most part.

Unless you have a short bus that's not loaded down heavily a 545 sucks, IMO. I'd never want another 40 footer with one. Been there, done that.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:03 AM   #49
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
I love my t444E - nice sounding engine - very decent power. I've not had any issues with it - even pulling my Subaru.
The engine debate seems to be a bit like people and cars - some swear by Ford, others Chevrolet, others Toyota (I am personally very fond of Subaru).
I took my bus to a mechanic and he seemed to also love my engine (assuring my it will last hundreds of thousands of more miles).

Love and work with what you have - or what you get. You won't be displeased if you make it your own.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7731.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	17489
Old 11-30-2017, 11:26 AM   #50
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Rescuer View Post
I love my t444E - nice sounding engine - very decent power. I've not had any issues with it - even pulling my Subaru.

The engine debate seems to be a bit like people and cars - some swear by Ford, others Chevrolet, others Toyota (I am personally very fond of Subaru).

I took my bus to a mechanic and he seemed to also love my engine (assuring my it will last hundreds of thousands of more miles).

Love and work with what you have - or what you get. You won't be displeased if you make it your own.

Attachment 17489

That sweet yellow bus next you yours has a T444E too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:23 PM   #51
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
Edit: One more thing, the GVWR is over 26k which I understand to mean you need a federal class B license to operate, although I've only heard of that being enforced in one state.
Federal laws regulate interstate commerce only. If it is not a commercial vehicle, they do not apply. If you do not cross state lines, they do not apply.

Each state has its own laws regarding what license you need to drive a heavy vehicle. Most DO require a different class for anything over 26,000lbs GVW, except for vehicles registered as an RV/Motorhome. Some have a lower weight threshold, maybe 15,000lbs GVW.

If I understand it correctly, even if a state requires its residents to have a certain class license for a heavy vehicle, say class B, it will allow residents of other states to operate a heavy vehicle if their class C license allows it. But I never did see that in print on a government website.

That was a bid deal for me, driving my bus across state lines with a temp tag, and a license from a state that I wasn't even driving through...
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:26 PM   #52
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
One thing I have noticed over the years is I have never seen a bus pulled over by a patrol car. But maybe if a young 20-someting was driving it...
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 04:22 PM   #53
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Rescuer View Post

Attachment 17489
Guys.. remember these engines come in different configurations...

lets talk T-444E's...

ECCB's shorty had 175 HP version.. I believe Dog rescuer;s is 210, plus wander and dog rescuer have locking style transmissions.. those items are going to make it night and day difference in whether you feel like your bus can tow, or get up and go enough for you..

if the seller will give you the VIN number for the bus you can call the navistar dealer and ask them what engine horsepower, rear gears, and transmission the bus was built with..

all this about engines said.. theres no doubt a 200+HP DT466E with an allison 2000 trans is going to be more brutey and quicker.. but it dioesnt mean others arent capable.. we have the likes of brokedown using a 175HP T-444E with an AT545 who has been ALL OVER the country.. flat and mountains alike in his bus.. yes its shorter.. but many wouldve said "you cant do that".. and he has done it.. and it worked quite well..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 01:27 PM   #54
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore6856 View Post
we bought ours from a school district in illinois. april to july is the time to buy as the schools retire them then. go to your local school barn and talk to the manager with your plan. if they have anything coming up they will tell you and they have contact with other local managers. if you purchase from them (way cheaper without the middleman) you can get the service records and lots of other info. here you will find lots of disagreement about whats right for you as we are overloaded with armchair quarterbacks that never owned a certain motor or chassis but will try to make you believe they are the diesel god and know everything. (they claim thats what they read so it must be true) so for starters get some tall rubber boots (you just entered the barnyard internet)and read a lot but dont believe until you can verify. if you want to learn about motors go to a class 8 truck shop (think kw,peterbilt or a truckstop mech) as those guys will know way more than this internet. here learn the different types of buses and how people did stuff like raising roofs, INSULATION plumbing and even floor layouts.(i did probably 10 floor plans before i even bought) another 3-4 mods after i started.ps i know that area good as i was a c-w truckload driver in joplin til xpo screwed uo a good company i still drive and with over 40 years in trucking my bus has a catapillar as im retiring in less than 2 (already sold the house) and will be going to Alaska on our first trip. now watch how many feathers i ruffled lol remember this is the internet!!!!!!!!!!!!
All that being said you should try to find a school bus conversion and get in it and see what it feels like a lot of things look great on paper... Even if you like the layout of an RV that might be something to emulate. Good luck and welcome I'm on my third skooly each one was different.
milkmanchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 01:50 PM   #55
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
There is always a better bus out there, darnit. Besides, needs and goals change over time.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:50 PM   #56
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitey View Post
LOL. I'm mainly just looking to see what a logical price point would be for different types of buses. My dad suggests an International 466 engine, so I'm especially looking for one with that. (He's been a truck driver longer than I've been alive and knows a thing or two about diesel engines and will be going bus shopping with me so he can look at the engine AND drive it home without being illegal.)
I think half of this conversation is moot. Your dad is is probably going to bring a wealth of knowledge to the table with the first hand knowledge that he's got, you've got about 90% of the battle fought just with his knowledge you cannot higher that kind of information or find it on this site that's for sure. I also am a truck driver for over 30 years and did drive a DT466 back in the day I pulled full size trailers and it was an outstanding little single axle truck. Today I have a 1992 dt360 which is the little brother to the 466 and I've had this bus from Minnesota to California and back and to Arkansas and Oklahoma seven or eight times and back no problems whatsoever still doesn't use oil 255 thousand miles on it, the thing starts every time I wanted to I just took it out looking at Christmas lights with 15 people on board it was awesome and heats up like a madman too. I just wish I had a little more power...( DT466 would be awesome)
Old 12-14-2017, 01:55 PM   #57
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome View Post
One thing I have noticed over the years is I have never seen a bus pulled over by a patrol car. But maybe if a young 20-someting was driving it...
Well you weren't on the interstate back in 2014 going through Billings a cop pulled me over for tailgating and speeding in a construction zone except you missed the part where the guy pulled in front of me and put his brakes on... No ticket but he did step inside to see if there is any smoke in the air... There wasn't... I kind of wanted to get a speeding ticket to hang on the wall but I'm glad I didn't.