Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2016, 10:41 PM   #1

Post New Kid in School

Hi all!~

I am a complete newbie to the Skoolie scene. I've recently been granted approval to become a remote employee at my tech job, meaning I can work from anywhere! I'm currently in the DC area and have been feeling westward bound for a while.

So my two cats and I began searching for places to live. I would talk to everyone I knew about where they've liked living, and how to decide such an endeavor. I have a list with some great options but ultimately it was proving to be a difficult decision.

And then like a breeze clearing leaves, the nomadic lifestyle cropped up in my research, and shortly after, the Skoolie approach.

I like the mobility, I'm super excited by the challenge of the renovation (I'm an HGTV junkie), the minimalist lifestyle and adventure, and the sights and people I hope to see and meet along the way.

My plan now is first to fully research and understand what I'm getting myself into, then make an informed purchase and begin renovation in the early part of 2017, then spend a year on the road, parking and working for a few weeks at a time while exploring the US and the mobile lifestyle. Perhaps at the end I'll have found a place that rings my bell and compels me to park longer term, or perhaps I'll sign on for more exploration.

I'm hoping for a bus on the longer & taller end as I'm 6' tall and have two cats who will need room to play. I also have a retired father (and a couple of friends) who I hope to have join and stay with me for parts of the travel, so plan on having multiple sleeping situations. As mentioned I'll also be working a full-time job remotely from the comfort of the bus so will need a tabletop and mobile internet.

Looking forward to perusing all of the information stored in here and connecting with all of you to learn about your experiences, and so pleased to have found this community!

-freykap

freykap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:52 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Welcome! You'll learn from the "skool of hard knocks" around here! I own an internet based business so I am also able to work from wherever. I'm living and working on my bus.

Sandi
www.thismidwifetravels.com
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 12:35 AM   #3

Year: 95
Coachwork: Blue bird
Chassis: I think it's a chevy
Engine: I think it's a 6.6 L cat
Rated Cap: 64
Welcome aboard. If like to suggest you looking into a rare breed of bus caked an activity bus. Not only do they do better at higher speeds than many conventional buses, but they also have the highest ceilings, as they are designed to haul athletes. Best of luck to you
foresterjon05@gmail. is offline   Reply With Quote