Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2013, 08:00 AM   #1

New kid on the (engine?) block

(grrr I had this all typed up and got logged out when submitting it, and lost the whole post)

I figure that since Im in my early 20s, Im one of the younger ones here. Anyway, awhile ago, I read this article and thought it was cool. Im also a bit into steampunk, which was a plus. I had at other times separate from that article wanted to convert a bus into a camper/RV, especially a double decker one so I could fill it with more beds and stuff. I think some of this was influenced by the show, The Wild Thornberries, which featured an RV with enough gadgets to make Q proud. So, I was rereading the article and got one of those dangerous epiphanies accompanied by a twinkle in my eye. It would be cool to do this myself! I have long wanted an RV and when I was 5 or 6, I got a scale model RV as a present for Hanukah. I remember writing about it in this pretend magazine I made (at that age). I exclaimed "I WANT MY CAMPER!" (hence my username) describing my youthful impatience. After a bit of research, I somehow arrived here.

Looking at the prices of used buses, I could actually afford one. The only issue is I dont think my mom or the neighbors would appreciate a bus parked out front or in the driveway. Then again, Ive seen campers here and there in front of houses.

So hello all!

iwmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
Re: New kid on the (engine?) block

Welcome! No-not the youngest-it seems you youngens are more + more joining our ranks. Which is a good thing.
I would maybe suggest if you could get it painted before it showed up, at least it wouldn't be a YELLOW school bus in front of the house. And others here have made deals with businesses near them to allow to park the bus in their parking lot.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #3
Bus Geek

welcome
there are several younger builders on the site now

4 more posts and no waiting, it helps to have info like where you from etc
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwarf36
Welcome! No-not the youngest-it seems you youngens are more + more joining our ranks. Which is a good thing.
I would maybe suggest if you could get it painted before it showed up, at least it wouldn't be a YELLOW school bus in front of the house. And others here have made deals with businesses near them to allow to park the bus in their parking lot.
Yea, thats more than I can say for some of my other hobbies/interests: trains and coins. I used to belong to the passenger train lobby groups and was the only one under 30 at meetings. And coins they have some youth programs, but outside of that, I very rarely see any serious coin collector.

I was actually thinking painting it would be the first thing I do. That yellow can be ugly! It still requires a lot of planning anyway, so I could have everything ready for if/when I do get one. I live in a deeply residential suburban area, so not many businesses nearby, but there are some people I know with big lots, so maybe that, or Ill figure out something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
welcome
there are several younger builders on the site now

4 more posts and no waiting, it helps to have info like where you from etc
Yea I had to use my micronation email because Yahoo wasnt accepted. This is the second forum in my 12+ years of foruming to not accept Yahoo. You guys must get a load of spam, or used to. And righty-o! I didnt even think to fill out that info or mention it here, but I did now. Im from New Jersey.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:39 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126
Rated Cap: 72

Welcome, I'm working with a 19 year old (Porkchopsandwiches). He has his own bus. check him out here:
http://www.skoolie.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=466601

If you like steampunk, check out this conversion, he got me started.
http://www.vonslatt.com/bus-main.shtml

visvi Cherokee for Journey, Sounds Like Oeesha

https://thejourneyvisvi.com/

My Conversion Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=464989
wmkbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmkbailey
Welcome, I'm working with a 19 year old (Porkchopsandwiches). He has his own bus. check him out here:
http://www.skoolie.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=466601

If you like steampunk, check out this conversion, he got me started.
http://www.vonslatt.com/bus-main.shtml
Yea, thats what got me thinking about this. Such a cool bus!