Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2019, 05:26 PM   #1

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Orion
Chassis: V
Engine: Cummins ISM 10.8L 280HP
Rated Cap: 38
New, looking to build my skoolie soon...

Good evening!

I'm a school bus driver from Richmond, VA and I've been long interested in buying a used school bus to do a RV conversion. I am seeking to transition to full-time RV life and do cross-country travel in the future.

I would like to receive guidance towards buying a bus, like if it's better to buy a conventional, FE transit, or "pusher". And what powertrain configurations should I seek in a build, and what would be the best length for my intended use (I'm single, no kids, and all I have can fit in 2 tupperwares).

I look forward to learning from y'all as I begin and continue my transition into the skoolie life. Thank y'all in advance.

Metrolinerxlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:53 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Welcome to the wide world of skoolies!

Before we suggest a particular drivetrain or configuration, I think its important to know a bit more about how you'd like to travel. It sounds like you're pretty flexible - you need room for one person, and you don't have a lot of stuff. That means that you could fit into just about any type of bus - a cutaway van, a shortie on a full-size chassis, or a full-size 40' bus.

For example, are you planning on towing a car behind your bus? Having a car (or jeep - check out some of the places Dory the bus has gone) means you can park the bus, and explore a bit more in something that fits in a parking space. You have to plan ahead to go food shopping in a 40' bus. A bus on a cutaway van chassis won't tow a car as well - but the whole bus will fit in the supermarket parking lot.

A lot of people split the difference with a bike or scooter. (You can carry it on a hitch behind the bus, or some people design the rear part of their bus to be more of an unfinished garage/storage area.)

Also, how much room do you want to have - a bus is basically a rectangle, 8 feet wide. The largest buses will give you 35-38 feet of living space (easily giving you a dedicated bedroom, bathroom, and living room/kitchen), while a cutaway van is about 12 feet long - so you end up with everything in 1 "room."

It's a lot of think about - and there's tons of discussions about all that stuff here, so you've come to the right place.
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 06:30 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metrolinerxlz View Post
Good evening!

I'm a school bus driver from Richmond, VA and I've been long interested in buying a used school bus to do a RV conversion. I am seeking to transition to full-time RV life and do cross-country travel in the future.

I would like to receive guidance towards buying a bus, like if it's better to buy a conventional, FE transit, or "pusher". And what powertrain configurations should I seek in a build, and what would be the best length for my intended use (I'm single, no kids, and all I have can fit in 2 tupperwares).

I look forward to learning from y'all as I begin and continue my transition into the skoolie life. Thank y'all in advance.
HA HA that's funny. A school bus driver gave ME the advice to get a flatnose - they are easiest to drive she said - more so than the cutouts. In the end, I got what I got which is what was available, and I love it.
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:11 PM   #4

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Orion
Chassis: V
Engine: Cummins ISM 10.8L 280HP
Rated Cap: 38

Mark_In_MA,
Once I finish my conversion, I'll (likely) give up my car as I'd have no use for it at that point.

I am looking for a 29'-35' bus which would cover my bases and provide some versatility in boondocking situations.

Mountain Gnome
, you are absolutely correct in that transit-style (flat nose) buses are MUCH easier to drive. You see everything in front of you. And they typically last longer than a conventional. But what I meant and should've specified is which of the two are better in terms of maintenance.

Some mechanics will not touch a transit-style bus because of accessibility to key components. Some won't mess with certain engine makes/models. So I need something I can learn on and maintain by myself or that any mechanic won't mind working on.
Metrolinerxlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:15 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
since you ask...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metrolinerxlz View Post
Mountain Gnome, you are absolutely correct in that transit-style (flat nose) buses are MUCH easier to drive. You see everything in front of you. And they typically last longer than a conventional. But what I meant and should've specified is which of the two are better in terms of maintenance.

Some mechanics will not touch a transit-style bus because of accessibility to key components. Some won't mess with certain engine makes/models. So I need something I can learn on and maintain by myself or that any mechanic won't mind working on.
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f33/fe...air-26820.html
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote