Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2016, 07:31 PM   #1

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird Bus Co.
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
new member howdy

Hello All- My wife and I are contemplating a school bus conversion and wanted to get in this group to learn more about this process. We are early 60's and contemplating retirement soon. I actually joined the group last year when we first had this idea. It began one day last May when we were driving to the store and there were 4-5 buses for sale near the entrance to a kids camp near our house. It was then we found out that we both had a desire from our younger days to convert a school bus into a rolling camper/home. It was exciting to find out that we shared this dream and never knew it about each other. We went home a did some research, stopped and actually checked out the buses. We decided that we didn't have time for another project and with that put that dream aside. We've been interested in the Tiny House movement and have explored that aspect for our future as well. We are planning on attending the tiny house Jamboree in Colorado Springs this Aug 2016) So were still on the fence about what exactly we want, but are leaning back to a skool bus conversion.we're excited to read blogs and posts on this subject from veterans and newbies alike to gain some knowledge and help us on our journey into the future. We are in the Atlanta area and would love to meet up with other individuals & couples to share ideas. Thanks, Michael & Roxene

mikerox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:51 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Thomas
Engine: Cat 3126 7.2 / Allison AT545
Rated Cap: 77 Passenger
I too considered the Tiny House option, for about a year, but never got excited about it. 150 - 200 sq ft, bedroom is almost always in a very low ceiling loft ( I too am in my 60s and not sure how much longer I want to "climb" into my bed ), then you buy a $30,000 - $40,000 truck to pull it with, etc, etc, etc!! I discovered the Skoolie idea, bought a bus and have never looked back!!! I live in Colorado Springs and am probably about 75% complete with my build on what I think is going to be a beautiful home!!
PoolRoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:10 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Welcome! I'm not far from Atlanta, myself.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:43 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Welcome to you both. Wow what a beautiful story. What other treasures lay between you two that have yet to be uncovered?!

Look forward to seeing what unfolds!
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:52 PM   #5

Coachwork: Bluebird Bus Co.
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Thanks for the reply, I agree about the climbing into loft, best of luck on finishing your project. Any chance you'd be willing to show us your progress while were in Colorado Springs?
mikerox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:53 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Thomas
Engine: Cat 3126 7.2 / Allison AT545
Rated Cap: 77 Passenger
absolutely... let me know! I will PM my number!!
PoolRoom is offline   Reply With Quote