Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2016, 11:19 AM   #1

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: G 30
Engine: Chevy 350 gas
Rated Cap: 21
New member in Puyallup wa

Hello
I am a new member of this site and am looking for your thoughts. I have a 1995 g30 short bus that i have strip to transport dogs to our kennel. I am looking to redo my work in a more permanent manner.
This bus is loud, cold and uncomfortable. I have the facility and wherewithal to start from the beginning. My question is how deep should i go. It has an all metal construction that on the surface appears sound. I am looking to travel to dog shows in it so i want the conversion to be versatile. thoughts?

dawgtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 02:46 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 2000
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 83
Read all you can here and look at the conversion pics/videos. How long are you planning to keep it? Is it worth a lot of time and money? Would you like to remove the kennels and use it for traveling/camping?
If it would be worth it to you strip it down to bare metal, remove the inside panels and crappy insulation. Then you have a clean slate. Insulate it good and build it the way you want it. You could run off of a generator, wire it for shore power or solar. Just research here and you will have all the info you will need. Its good to have you here and good luck. Oh, and don't hesitate to ask questions.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:24 PM   #3

great

I plan to keep the kennels in place but want plan for some versatility.However the buses' primary use will be for transporting dogs. Do the cut down buses like the carpenter short bus, have a history of corrosion and leakage. I have seen a few videos and picture and it appears that they hold up pretty well. any thing I should be looking for?
Old 02-03-2016, 02:29 PM   #4

Does anyone have any insight about increasing mpg or performance. is 10mpg about it in the city? will it always just crawl up hills? would there be benefits in changing the ring and pinion gear?