Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2016, 05:24 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

New member in Washington DC

Hello everyone,
I am a new member in Washington DC, currently considering buying a bus soon. I am excited to join this community full of resources with respect to bus conversion. Hope to interact with you all soon.
Damel

Damel18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:04 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Welcome neighbor.

Lots of buses in DC, excited to see which one finds you.
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:16 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

you are right. Well, we'll see what kind of bus that I would eventually acquire. my preference is for the international 3800 with DTA466 engine, 40ft, FE
Old 09-16-2016, 07:18 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

HEY! A local for me! I live in the NOVA area, relatively close to DC and go up into the city relatively frequently. I've been keeping an eye on buses in the area - but i'm going for a 'mid size' or a Shorty, since it's just going to be me - and I have reservations about driving something full-size.

Nice to see someone basically in my back yard. Hit me up if you need help on a weekend - maybe we could help each other out.
SpecialAgentAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 07:51 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

hi neighbor, I like your idea of helping each other; do not hesitate to reach-out. Although I have no experience in bus conversion, though I have my head and my arms. Talk you soon.
Good Sunday
Old 09-18-2016, 01:14 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

I have no experience either - I barely know anything I need to know to do this, but that's not going to stop me ::LOL:: I'm hoping to find either the information or people to collaborate with when I finally get my wheels. I'm excited to meet other Skoolie peeps, and to experience and see as much as I can.
Old 09-18-2016, 02:33 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

just like you, I think taking the same approach, but I learn every day by reading the experiences of others right here and also watching videos on youtube. Personally, I do not think making a complicated conversion but I am planning to raise the roof, build a garage, etc ...
Old 09-18-2016, 07:03 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

I must have exhausted every youtube video there is on conversions. I've watched so many - but it's given me really good ideas about what I like and what I don't, what I want and what I need.

I'm no good on the week days, but I was planning on doing my work on the weekends. Gotta get the bus first, though.

If you end up with your wheels first, feel free to hit me up. It's always easier with more than one person.

Are you looking at a full size or are you going smaller? A garage is a great idea, though I'm going to end up trading mine in for a place to do crafting. I'm not too handy with a circular saw, but I can sew, so if you need stuff made for your bus, I'd be happy to help out with that, too. Use the skills I do have where they're the most useful.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:08 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Ground Force One should be coming available pretty soon!

Old 09-18-2016, 07:39 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Your tax dollars at work.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 07:50 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
there'll be Lots of coaches after the election.. in my travels (ive done alot of driving this year).. ive noticed tons of coaches out and about for both the trump and hillary campaigns.. seems like more than the normal amount I see... my guess is that after the electrion they dont hang onto these for 4 years till the next one... they are typicall nice prevost coaches.. look to be 5 to at most 10 years old max...

since ohio is a tricky state once agaibn this year and florida too.. (the 2 places ive been bac k N forth from).. ive seen these busses all over.. in fact one of the times I was running my skoolie down I-75 one of the hillary busses passed me.. then I caught up to it at the rest area.. the people on board were all fascinated by my skoolie and that I was just tooling across the country in a bus for fun...

not sure if any of the campaigns use skoolies.. but I'll bet some of the smaller elections do... state level candidates??

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:13 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466E
Rated Cap: 72 passenger
Well, I just took a serious contender for the Texas Supreme Court to Burningman in mine. Does that count?
Old 09-18-2016, 09:07 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

OH man no but you don't understand - I was cruising craigslist for buses and stumbled across the most amazing thing and I'd have snatched it up if I'd had the dough -

A Bomb Squad mobile command center was on the market. The only thing it was lacking was a place to sleep. It was a magnificent piece of machinery.