Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2016, 01:33 PM   #1

Smile New Member (S-E Wisconsin) Questions!

Hey I am a New Member needing some Midwest contacts ! I am considering a conversion for myself soon .I'm in my 20's and never in one place for too long. Id like to get some info on conversions so I can start saving sooner than later . probably become a spring/summer project w. Family . Some questions I have are
Budget?
Bus vs truck conversion ?
Where do you park your skoolie for free/cheap?
How often to you repair your bus/conversion ?
Cost for plumbing & insulation ?

Also when the time comes if I can get some people to $ help $ with the hard stuff like plumbing and wiring that would be great !

Thanks a bunch !

PartiallyPrimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 12:32 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Welcome and best answer I have is to spend all your free time reading here and get a note book and start writting down what you need and what out of it

Your questions are too generic for answers

Cost of conversion could be $1k or $50k, free parking would be your own property, friends/family property or some nat. forest/blm land (this varies state to state, so research your areas)

Repairs? if you get a good running, air brake equipped bus, you are way ahead of the game, the engine, driveline/tires and brakes are designed for hauling and stopping a lot of weight and for lots of miles, you would never see those miles on the typical skoolie bus

Tires will probably rot before the go bald

again welcome and sit and read a spell
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 11:45 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by PartiallyPrimal View Post
Hey I am a New Member needing some Midwest contacts ! I am considering a conversion for myself soon .I'm in my 20's and never in one place for too long. Id like to get some info on conversions so I can start saving sooner than later . probably become a spring/summer project w. Family . Some questions I have are
Budget?
Bus vs truck conversion ?
Where do you park your skoolie for free/cheap?
How often to you repair your bus/conversion ?
Cost for plumbing & insulation ?

Also when the time comes if I can get some people to $ help $ with the hard stuff like plumbing and wiring that would be great !

Thanks a bunch !

Always nice to see people from Wisconsin on here! I'm from Madison area so not too far from you.

I don't own a skoolie currently but I do drive school buses as a job.

You're going to need to be way more specific with your questions. How much are you willing to spend total on your conversion?

Parking varies, usually you have to pay for storage if you don't own property in the country. Campgrounds are a good place to park but many aren't open year round.

Mechanical work shouldn't be that necessary if you buy the right bus. Ask before you pull the trigger. Too many people on here rush into buying something stupid like an old 1980s gasser without pausing to realize that old junk like that simply isn't worth the time and effort to convert.

I'm very familiar with the used bus market in southern WI so if you have any questions let me know!
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
faq, midwest, new to forum, wiscosin