Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2019, 05:05 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466e/Allison 2000
Rated Cap: 65
New owner, am i crazy?

After about 6 months of reading on this site and others I finally pulled the trigger and bought a bus. 50%excited and 50%terrified!
2003 international AmTran dog nose, 37' 65 passenger with a DT 466e and what i am 99%certain is an Allison 2000 tranny. 79000 original miles, some rust around the wheel wells but otherwise seems mechanically sound. Will need new steer tires soon, but otherwise i am ready to start demo! Going to attempt the Vermont registration process asap, and then work on getting insurance. Am I insane??

cdrobbins77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 05:09 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Good base to start with. No hoops to jump through going the Vt. route. Good luck with the build.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 05:50 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrobbins77 View Post
some rust around the wheel wells
Uh oh. Not to depress you right off the bat, but check out my build thread to see what "some rust" can look like. Where is your bus from originally? Post some pics and maybe I can set your mind at ease regarding the rust situation (which is probably not as bad as mine, at least).
Old 11-17-2019, 06:01 PM   #4
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Uh oh. Not to depress you right off the bat, but check out my build thread to see what "some rust" can look like. Where is your bus from originally? Post some pics and maybe I can set your mind at ease regarding the rust situation (which is probably not as bad as mine, at least).
Pics will have to wait until next weekend, it's dark outside already, and we are still on the road home with the bus. Frame is not Rusty and that is what I was mostly concerned with. I have a sheet metal worker and a welder in the family so I should have good help if I need it. I am pretty sure we will have to do some patching around the wheel wells
Old 11-17-2019, 08:06 PM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Pics will have to wait until next weekend, it's dark outside already, and we are still on the road home with the bus. Frame is not Rusty and that is what I was mostly concerned with. I have a sheet metal worker and a welder in the family so I should have good help if I need it. I am pretty sure we will have to do some patching around the wheel wells
Old 11-17-2019, 09:18 PM   #6
Skoolie

https://imgur.com/a/jIMQ4rW
Old 11-17-2019, 09:41 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrobbins77 View Post
Looks nice, and kind of unusual. A high-ceiling bus with short windows? And only one roof hatch?
Old 11-17-2019, 09:44 PM   #8
Skoolie

Quote:
Looks nice, and kind of unusual. A high-ceiling bus with short windows? And only one roof hatch?
not a high ceiling--i wish it was! its about 6' 2" currently. I can just barely stand up without hitting my head in the middle (I'm 6'1")
Old 11-18-2019, 01:37 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Are you sure it's only 79K original miles? Sounds suspect to me. Dash replacement is *VERY* common on these IH's (the ECU will have a much more accurate reflection of mileage). The circuit board's solder joints fail over time (they can be fixed fairly easily) but most schools just replace 'em.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 05:54 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC/AMTRANS RE
Engine: T444E 7.3 w/ MD3060
Rated Cap: 36000lbs / 78pass / 39'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
Are you sure it's only 79K original miles? Sounds suspect to me. Dash replacement is *VERY* common on these IH's (the ECU will have a much more accurate reflection of mileage). The circuit board's solder joints fail over time (they can be fixed fairly easily) but most schools just replace 'em.
And some buses weren't used as often because they were substitute buses, mine was and had only 10k more on the clock. Then there are band/activity buses that aren't used a ton either.
Sure the cluster could have been replaced, it's common on diesel pickups too, especially ones owned by construction and landscaping outfits.
The ECMs get replaced too, mine was back in 2011 (date is stamped on the unit). So you can't always go by the ECM, chances are it will be replaced before the odo since they re usually on or next to the engine being baked (what a stupid idea, been meaning to relocated mine).
If you would like to check out my website that has all sort of information especially for the T444E/7.3PSD engines check out www.PatrickTheSalvageGuy.com I've got helpful downloads and articles as well as a link to my YT for other how to videos mainly on the F series trucks.
PatrickBaptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 06:56 AM   #11
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
I suppose I am not 100% sure, you very well could be correct. I am going to reach out to the school system this bus came from to see if I can get service records for it. It’s a long shot, but worth a phone call I suppose.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:05 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickBaptist View Post
And some buses weren't used as often because they were substitute buses, mine was and had only 10k more on the clock. Then there are band/activity buses that aren't used a ton either.
Sure the cluster could have been replaced, it's common on diesel pickups too, especially ones owned by construction and landscaping outfits.
The ECMs get replaced too, mine was back in 2011 (date is stamped on the unit). So you can't always go by the ECM, chances are it will be replaced before the odo since they re usually on or next to the engine being baked (what a stupid idea, been meaning to relocated mine).

POSSIBLY on the ECM, but rarely does a Navistar ECM die 100% where the J1708 doesnt allow it to be read out.. its usually the IDM inside it that bakes and dies..

if its been replaced correctly, the old ECM data is read and applied to the new ECM, the software will show the ESN and VIN so you can see if someone just junkyarded a new ECM without programming it..

-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote