Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2016, 09:07 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
Poppy, check with YOUR state for requirements for licensing.
OK, just to be clear: Poppy and I will check with our state and do what they want. But if we are in the clear with them, and we drive through a more restrictive state, would we still be in the clear?

I would think that reciprocity rules would cover us until we reach our destination and re-register the vehicle in the new state. Then we would need to play by their rules.

Thoughts?

Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:45 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Until you paint it people are just going to think it's another bus.

Honestly, you're living in a bad state. You should go west young man.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:48 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Until you paint it people are just going to think it's another bus.

Honestly, you're living in a bad state. You should go west young man.
Dude, I'm in a GREAT state! At least so far as I'm concerned.

Note that I came from a large state out west that has a lot of coastline...

Yeah, around here gotta paint it to be on the road at all, I think. I'm planning on several cans of black spray paint to make tiger stripes to get it home.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:06 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Alright, you're in a great state. It's your Department of Motor Vehicles that's the problem.
It's not enough to paint over the "SCHOOL BUS" graphics and the upper lights, with stop sign removed? Maybe you've got mean cops back there? Here the paint over all writing and the upper flashing lights with black paint. I had to drive through town to the DMV to get a temp tag. I stick with my theory, nobody looks at buses much. That is, unless you paint tiger stripes on them. I've actually seen photos of basically tiger stripes on a bus for the same reasons. To me a funky paint job says "stop me and check my registration and insurance." I do like a little shot of adrenaline now and then but not like that.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:14 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapplecreek View Post
OK, just to be clear: Poppy and I will check with our state and do what they want. But if we are in the clear with them, and we drive through a more restrictive state, would we still be in the clear?

I would think that reciprocity rules would cover us until we reach our destination and re-register the vehicle in the new state. Then we would need to play by their rules.

Thoughts?
Go by the state's regs that you're registered in.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 05:49 AM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Alright, you're in a great state. It's your Department of Motor Vehicles that's the problem.
It's not enough to paint over the "SCHOOL BUS" graphics and the upper lights, with stop sign removed? Maybe you've got mean cops back there? Here the paint over all writing and the upper flashing lights with black paint. I had to drive through town to the DMV to get a temp tag. I stick with my theory, nobody looks at buses much. That is, unless you paint tiger stripes on them. I've actually seen photos of basically tiger stripes on a bus for the same reasons. To me a funky paint job says "stop me and check my registration and insurance." I do like a little shot of adrenaline now and then but not like that.
the thing ive noticed is many states have these fancy rules. . however here in Ohio as im learning more and more nobody seems to give a crap.. inohio its supposed to be less than 50% yellow and have the stop lights removed / disabled.. I see yellow busses simply with the school name and word school spray painted over .. driving everywhere.. construction sites.. heck I see them with passenger car plates on big busses.. (just like I did on my last one but it was under 26k).. im sure some states like PA have SOB for DMV's,, but im seeing in a lot of states people are just driving and parking busses like cars...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:30 AM   #27
Bus Geek

It's just a plus sized minivan.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:06 PM   #28
Bus Nut

I called the Virginia DMV this morning and was ASTONISHED at the good service provided by Shelly, the nice lady there. I quoted her the laws and told her what I thought they meant, and she responded with "You're absolutely right." First it was nice that I was right, but it was REALLY WONDERFUL that I got a set of straight, unequivocal answers. Yay for her!

Not trying to be a lawyer: just reporting what I read, what I said, and how she responded to my statements.

1) In Virginia, a bus (>15 passengers) is a commercial vehicle, EXCEPT when operated by an individual solely for his personal purposes, such as recreational activities. So I won't need a commercial license. VA Code 46.2-341.4

2) Airbrake endorsements are for commercial licenses in VA, so not needed.

3) ONLY a schoolbus can 1) be yellow, 2) have safety lights and stopsign, and 3) be labeled as a school bus in 8" black letters. The key word is "And" - if I knock out the safety lights, sign OR paint over the "School Bus" part, I can drive it yellow if I want. VA Code section 46.2-1089. I sent my wife some photos of psychedelic paint jobs (see Google Images for Hippie Bus) and she said "No. Just No." Ah, well.

Also, called State Farm and they nice lady there said she wrote a policy for a tour bus conversion recently, for comp and collision as well as liability, for about $400 a year. She said she wrote it as a personal vehicle because RV policies are lots more expensive (and she was able to do that even though it was titled as a motorhome).

Progress!
Old 04-20-2016, 05:10 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapplecreek View Post
I called the Virginia DMV this morning and was ASTONISHED at the good service provided by Shelly, the nice lady there. I quoted her the laws and told her what I thought they meant, and she responded with "You're absolutely right." First it was nice that I was right, but it was REALLY WONDERFUL that I got a set of straight, unequivocal answers. Yay for her!

Not trying to be a lawyer: just reporting what I read, what I said, and how she responded to my statements.

1) In Virginia, a bus (>15 passengers) is a commercial vehicle, EXCEPT when operated by an individual solely for his personal purposes, such as recreational activities. So I won't need a commercial license. VA Code 46.2-341.4

2) Airbrake endorsements are for commercial licenses in VA, so not needed.

3) ONLY a schoolbus can 1) be yellow, 2) have safety lights and stopsign, and 3) be labeled as a school bus in 8" black letters. The key word is "And" - if I knock out the safety lights, sign OR paint over the "School Bus" part, I can drive it yellow if I want. VA Code section 46.2-1089. I sent my wife some photos of psychedelic paint jobs (see Google Images for Hippie Bus) and she said "No. Just No." Ah, well.

Also, called State Farm and they nice lady there said she wrote a policy for a tour bus conversion recently, for comp and collision as well as liability, for about $400 a year. She said she wrote it as a personal vehicle because RV policies are lots more expensive (and she was able to do that even though it was titled as a motorhome).

Progress!

how cool!! great information... someone whould put this in a Sticky somewhere.

I couldnt get state farm to write me.. I went to my agent and they called but couldnt find a "class" to put my bus in.. maybe I need to talk to who you talked to.. as progressive will insure me on a commercial policy but I have state farm for all of my other vehicles and my house.. would really like to stay with them.. do you happen to know who you talked to and what class they placed your rig in?

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 05:26 PM   #30
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
...[D]o you happen to know who you talked to and what class they placed your rig in?

-Christopher
They classed the tour bus we were discussing as an example as a "personal vehicle" [I don't have a bus yet]. I spoke with Caroline at a State Farm office in Christiansburg VA, at 540 382-3200. Nice lady.