Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-14-2018, 08:23 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 21
Year: 1990
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Navistar
Engine: International harvester DT446
Rated Cap: 72
New Skoolie

Hello everyone Bill and Gwen here. We are located out in Central Ohio.

We are picking up a 1990 Thomas Built International Bus DT466 mechanical Diesel (not computerized 👍) w/Allison 4-speed automatic transmission this Saturday. With 39002 miles total. With a pro white paint job on the outside.

The plan is to spend the next 12 months building out the bus for full time living.

Currently saving money for when we hit the road full time.
Moby_Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:48 AM   #2
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: SE Florida
Posts: 1,089
Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Welcome, Bill and Gwen!
Sandi
Full-time Skoolie
www.thismidwifetravels.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby_Bus View Post
Hello everyone Bill and Gwen here. We are located out in Central Ohio.

We are picking up a 1990 Thomas Built International Bus DT466 mechanical Diesel (not computerized 👍) w/Allison 4-speed automatic transmission this Saturday. With 39002 miles total. With a pro white paint job on the outside.

The plan is to spend the next 12 months building out the bus for full time living.

Currently saving money for when we hit the road full time.
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:04 PM   #3
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 176
Hi ya......
I'm in southern Ohio by the river. Sounds like a nice bus. Solid motor choice.
39002 miles total?
WOW! Low miles. Must have sat a lot.
Ex-Church bus?
CH777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:12 AM   #4
Almost There
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: West Chester, OH
Posts: 78
Year: 1990
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800 Carpenter
Engine: DT360 / AT545
Rated Cap: 65 passenger
Welcome to the club. We may have to have an Ohio Skoolie gathering.
oredigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:40 AM   #5
Almost There
 
jonb8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Elizabeth WV
Posts: 74
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 466
Congrats, sounds like a great bus, Good luck with the build
jonb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:24 AM   #6
Site Team
 
Johnny Mullet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Ashtabula, Ohio
Posts: 1,233
Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Welcome to the site. Seems to be a lot of Ohio skoolie owners.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:20 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 21
Year: 1990
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Navistar
Engine: International harvester DT446
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH777 View Post
Hi ya......
I'm in southern Ohio by the river. Sounds like a nice bus. Solid motor choice.
39002 miles total?
WOW! Low miles. Must have sat a lot.
Ex-Church bus?
It was county owned, and used to shuttle ppl around for litter clean up and the like I think. Either way it's a blessing as the year is just on the top end of being old.

And we are super stoked to start this process.
Moby_Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:21 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 21
Year: 1990
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Navistar
Engine: International harvester DT446
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by oredigger View Post
Welcome to the club. We may have to have an Ohio Skoolie gathering.
I'm all for an Ohio skoolie get together. Of
Moby_Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:56 PM   #9
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby_Bus View Post
It was county owned, and used to shuttle ppl around for litter clean up and the like I think. Either way it's a blessing as the year is just on the top end of being old.

And we are super stoked to start this process.
90 is a good year for that type bus. & you have the best diesel engine IMHO.

I strongly suggest you pull rubber off floors........ clean, repair and rust treat & paint...then put down insulation and plywood as a good base.

Also insulate walls and ceiling.

Use Kool Seal or similar coating on outside roof. ( it will make it amazingly cooler in summer and also warmer in cold weather. EASY AS PIE TO DO. Just make sure to clean roof first so it sticks good.

These things will mean everything in the end.

A good foundation is everything.

OH............and have fun!!
CH777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 03:02 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 21
Year: 1990
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Navistar
Engine: International harvester DT446
Rated Cap: 72
That's good news to hear. The body is very rust free. The under has been sprayed with a ring liner type of stuff. So I'm hoping there isn't much hidden under the floor boards. But he's getting fully gutted and close cell spray foamed
Moby_Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 03:12 PM   #11
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby_Bus View Post
That's good news to hear. The body is very rust free. The under has been sprayed with a ring liner type of stuff. So I'm hoping there isn't much hidden under the floor boards. But he's getting fully gutted and close cell spray foamed
Be a good way to go with the foam. Pricey but worth it if you have the money.

Paint before you spray the foam.. extra protection...seal it all up nice.

Spray foam won't do for the floors though. I'd use that 1/2 inch steel roof stuff under the plywood. high efficiency, moisture proof, thin to save space. I like the blue stuff. Can't remember the brand.

Hope you do a build thread. Always great seeing pics of the progress.
CH777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:21 PM   #12
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 12,109
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
welcome!! fellow central Ohioan here too.. i travel all over lots..

I dont know much about converting a bus as far as the Living part but I can help a little with questions and concerns about your Navistar Drivetrain.

im totally up for an all ohio skoolie get together.. heck if i could find a driver id bring Both of my busses!!
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 05:43 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 21
Year: 1990
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Navistar
Engine: International harvester DT446
Rated Cap: 72
Just picked her up today, here's a few pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180317_152432.jpg (227.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180317_113931.jpg (161.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180317_120818.jpg (166.4 KB, 8 views)
Moby_Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:24 PM   #14
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby_Bus View Post
Just picked her up today, here's a few pictures



Nice..... pretty clean looking.

Have fun taking the seats out. Not hard...just time consuming.

Get a grinder, sockets, wrenches, a pry bar and a gullible helper who you can talk into climbing underneath....... lol.
CH777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:40 PM   #15
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 5,564
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH777 View Post


Nice..... pretty clean looking.

Have fun taking the seats out. Not hard...just time consuming.

Get a grinder, sockets, wrenches, a pry bar and a gullible helper who you can talk into climbing underneath....... lol.
Doooh!!

I did it wrong. My helper was not properly qualified (gullible) and I wound up being the one under the bus.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:46 PM   #16
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Doooh!!

I did it wrong. My helper was not properly qualified (gullible) and I wound up being the one under the bus.

live & learn.
CH777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×