Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2019, 10:23 AM   #1

New Skoolie

Hello all!
My name is Paul and I bought my first bus this past Sunday. It is a 2000, Bluebird, I believe it is a Chevy chassis because there is a bowtie on the steering wheel. It has a Cat engine and allison transmission, hydraulic brakes, 11 windows on each side which I believe makes it a 66 passenger like the IH I looked at previously. It was retired from a school route, supposedly, due to the school board deciding all buses had to be 2006 or newer. This seems to be the case because there are many buses from the same school district up for sale that are pre 2006 models.
The previous owner has been driving for 45 years and said he kept the bus up nicely and that shows on the interior and exterior as well as new belts some new hoses etc... My plans for the bus nearly had him in tears as I am going to leave 4-5 windows and turn the rest of the bus into a flatbed for farm use as well as being an oddity at car shows due to my young son being a car nut and enjoying the shows. I am currently watching videos on rivet removal so I can knock the rear of the bus off, take a section out of the center and re-install the rear end closer to the driver's seat.
I am planning to run out and see about removing some seats this afternoon to give me a little room to work. I also need to measure for replacement rivets and order them along with a pneumatic riveter.

Archer46176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:52 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
I have seen builds like you are planning. Perhaps someone will chime in and post a picture.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:21 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer46176 View Post
Hello all!
My name is Paul and I bought my first bus this past Sunday. It is a 2000, Bluebird, I believe it is a Chevy chassis because there is a bowtie on the steering wheel. It has a Cat engine and allison transmission, hydraulic brakes, 11 windows on each side which I believe makes it a 66 passenger like the IH I looked at previously. It was retired from a school route, supposedly, due to the school board deciding all buses had to be 2006 or newer. This seems to be the case because there are many buses from the same school district up for sale that are pre 2006 models.
The previous owner has been driving for 45 years and said he kept the bus up nicely and that shows on the interior and exterior as well as new belts some new hoses etc... My plans for the bus nearly had him in tears as I am going to leave 4-5 windows and turn the rest of the bus into a flatbed for farm use as well as being an oddity at car shows due to my young son being a car nut and enjoying the shows. I am currently watching videos on rivet removal so I can knock the rear of the bus off, take a section out of the center and re-install the rear end closer to the driver's seat.
I am planning to run out and see about removing some seats this afternoon to give me a little room to work. I also need to measure for replacement rivets and order them along with a pneumatic riveter.
I got a 1/4" riveter from Harbor Freight for $60 or so and it's been working very well for me, along with a 150 PSI pancake compressor which is more than adequate for the riveter.

Good source of rivets: https://www.rivetsonline.com/
Old 09-04-2019, 08:13 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
Sounds like a sound project looking forward to it and welcome to the bin

Handyman and Shenaniganizer
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/97...ion-22324.html
Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote