Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2016, 07:05 PM   #1

Wink New Skoolie Here!

Hello All! I'm new to Skoolie and stoked to be here! For years, my lovely wife has been bugging me to buy a bus and convert it. Today I caved and agreed. We are on the hunt for the perfect bus. Doing lots of research at the moment, so I apologize in advance for all of the questions I'm sure I'll ask.

My wife, Heather, and I have been married for 18 years. We have 7 children together, ranging in ages from 16 to 1. 6 Princes and 1 Princess. We homeschool and my company is home based. We are ripe for a Skoolie. Oh, and we have 3 little Chihuahuas that are looking forward to this journey as well.

I look forward to getting to know the different members of this great community and learning all that I can and helping if I can. #GodIsGood

Barefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:29 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Welcome Barefoot
There are no stupid questions, but some do get asked a lot more frequently than others. It's a learning process for most of us since few of us were actually school bus drivers in the official sense.
You're going to need to read a lot of threads and catch up on information as much as possible. If there's anything you don't understand just ask and you'll probably get more answers than you care for.
Have you found a bus yet or have you decided on what type you want?
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:35 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

With such a large group it sounds as if what you need is a 40' rear engine bus in order to have enough space to accommodate everyone.

There are a lot of really nice build ups with different ideas of how to maximize space and sleeping spaces.

One of the things that will become very apparent is the lack of privacy when that many people are in such a small amount of space. You may want to seriously consider pulling a separate bunk house behind the bus. Or utilizing an add-a-room attached to an awning on the outside of the bus.

I know of one full timing family that has six kids that tow a 26' bunkhouse edition travel trailer behind their bus. The kitchen was transplanted to the bus and the resulting extra space became more berthing space. The extra bathroom and extra space allows the older kids some privacy and separation from the little ones when they are parked.

However you choose to lay out the floor plan the most important part of the build is the platform upon which you are building. If the platform is not good you will continue to pour $$$ into it with very little to show for it.

For your purposes, do not consider any bus with an engine that isn't a Cummins 8.3L/ISC, Cummins ISL, or a DT466/530 of at least 285 HP. 300+ HP would be better if you plan to tow a bunk house as well.

Whichever bus you do finally decide is best for you, make sure it does not have any rust!
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:57 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: IC CE
Engine: T444
welcome !!! you might want to look up i think good vibes bus they have a large family of 9 as well in what i think is similar circumstances.
Azuleslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:06 PM   #5

Jealous! A home conversion bus sounds so fun!
Hop Around Tours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
With such a large group it sounds as if what you need is a 40' rear engine bus in order to have enough space to accommodate everyone.

There are a lot of really nice build ups with different ideas of how to maximize space and sleeping spaces.

One of the things that will become very apparent is the lack of privacy when that many people are in such a small amount of space. You may want to seriously consider pulling a separate bunk house behind the bus. Or utilizing an add-a-room attached to an awning on the outside of the bus.

I know of one full timing family that has six kids that tow a 26' bunkhouse edition travel trailer behind their bus. The kitchen was transplanted to the bus and the resulting extra space became more berthing space. The extra bathroom and extra space allows the older kids some privacy and separation from the little ones when they are parked.

However you choose to lay out the floor plan the most important part of the build is the platform upon which you are building. If the platform is not good you will continue to pour $$$ into it with very little to show for it.

For your purposes, do not consider any bus with an engine that isn't a Cummins 8.3L/ISC, Cummins ISL, or a DT466/530 of at least 285 HP. 300+ HP would be better if you plan to tow a bunk house as well.

Whichever bus you do finally decide is best for you, make sure it does not have any rust!
Cowlitzcoach - Thanks for all of the advice. Would a DT366 do the trick? That's what's in the bus that we're really considering.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuleslight View Post
welcome !!! you might want to look up i think good vibes bus they have a large family of 9 as well in what i think is similar circumstances.
Thanks! I'll look them up! ��
Old 04-27-2016, 09:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Welcome Barefoot
There are no stupid questions, but some do get asked a lot more frequently than others. It's a learning process for most of us since few of us were actually school bus drivers in the official sense.
You're going to need to read a lot of threads and catch up on information as much as possible. If there's anything you don't understand just ask and you'll probably get more answers than you care for.
Have you found a bus yet or have you decided on what type you want?
Robin - The bus we're considering is a 1991 International 3800 Model. 50 Pax. DT366 Engine. Not sure about transmission. It's in pretty great shape. I think we'll love it. ��
Old 04-27-2016, 09:18 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Robin - The bus we're considering is a 1991 International 3800 Model. 50 Pax. DT366 Engine. Not sure about transmission. It's in pretty great shape. I think we'll love it. ��
is it a DT360?
or is it a Gasoline 366 engine?

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
is it a DT360?
or is it a Gasoline 366 engine?

-Christopher
DT360. Oops! �� Got it mixed up with a DT466.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:42 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
DT360. Oops! �� Got it mixed up with a DT466.

what is the Bus?

mine is a 1991 S3800 chassis (carpenter body) with a DT360. . the little ive driven it, I find the DT360 fine in a short bus (mine is only 7 row.. {has 7 windows behind the driver}).. and it has the AT545 transmission..

it has not a lot of power and doesnt have a very high top speed.. right bow its about 62.. however I'll make 65 with taller tires. . and i'll probably do some other stuff down the road..

the DT360 seems a bit small for a Full-length bus, esp if you are going to load it heavy with people and stuff and drive on long road trips.. ..

have you driven it yet? to see how fast it goes and how it does on the road?

-Christopher
Old 04-27-2016, 01:16 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

A DT360 is a great little engine but is a little bit on the small side if you are going to want to load things up and try to do highway speeds.

A DT466 would be a much better choice. Be aware that the DT466 was available in HP ratings as low as 160 HP and as high as 300 HP. Changing the HP rating up is not very difficult or expensive to do to the engine but it can make everything else not work well with it.

Truck/bus transmissions are designed and built to work within a narrow HP and torque range. Going above that range runs the real risk of damaging the transmission.

In addition, while it isn't as big of a problem as it is in an RE bus, increasing the HP rating also requires an increase in radiator capacity.

At the end of the day it is much better to find a bus with big HP than to try and upgrade later on.

If the bus you are considering is a 50-student capacity bus that is going to be a bit on the small side for such a large group--about 8-rows long. If it is a 50-adult capacity bus that is going to be about as big as they get--about 12-rows long.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 01:32 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
A DT360 is a great little engine but is a little bit on the small side if you are going to want to load things up and try to do highway speeds.

A DT466 would be a much better choice. Be aware that the DT466 was available in HP ratings as low as 160 HP and as high as 300 HP. Changing the HP rating up is not very difficult or expensive to do to the engine but it can make everything else not work well with it.

Truck/bus transmissions are designed and built to work within a narrow HP and torque range. Going above that range runs the real risk of damaging the transmission.

In addition, while it isn't as big of a problem as it is in an RE bus, increasing the HP rating also requires an increase in radiator capacity.

At the end of the day it is much better to find a bus with big HP than to try and upgrade later on.

If the bus you are considering is a 50-student capacity bus that is going to be a bit on the small side for such a large group--about 8-rows long. If it is a 50-adult capacity bus that is going to be about as big as they get--about 12-rows long.

thats a lot of people.. me personally, I'd want a 14 row Bluebird...
-Christopher
Old 04-27-2016, 09:10 PM   #14

DT360 is what I meant.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
what is the Bus?

mine is a 1991 S3800 chassis (carpenter body) with a DT360. . the little ive driven it, I find the DT360 fine in a short bus (mine is only 7 row.. {has 7 windows behind the driver}).. and it has the AT545 transmission..

it has not a lot of power and doesnt have a very high top speed.. right bow its about 62.. however I'll make 65 with taller tires. . and i'll probably do some other stuff down the road..

the DT360 seems a bit small for a Full-length bus, esp if you are going to load it heavy with people and stuff and drive on long road trips.. ..

have you driven it yet? to see how fast it goes and how it does on the road?

-Christopher
Haven't road tested her yet, but I'm assured she does 65 on the highway and shifts smoothly. We've got 10 Windows behind the driver, so it's a decent sized bus. Not sure of the exact length. Close to 35'-40' though. I've only heard great things about the DT360 Motor from everyone I've talked to, so that's reassuring. Won't be living in it full-time. We've got some cross country trips planned and plan to enjoy the journey, even if we've gotta see it all doing 60 mph.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:08 AM   #16
Bus Geek

The problem is your mind seems to change concerning what you really need in a bus as time goes by.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:19 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Quote:
The problem is your mind seems to change concerning what you really need in a bus as time goes by.
I thuink a lot of people's do... Had I not already had a bus before, I wouldnt have had a bunch of work done on my latest before i pick it up.. as id never know if I had the right bus till i got it home and started into it..

i see a lot of people buy a bus, do whatever to get it home then start conversion right away.. i think that works for those that are tiny-housing as you will know right away based on size, height etc if you got the right bus...

but those that are going to go RVing, I think would help to drive the bus around more before starting conversion... answers questions like..

1. can you drive a bus? and it is driving a bus what you expected it to be?
2. does your bus handle the type of driving you will give it and handle it acceptably?
3. did you drive your bus and discover it has a Major issue that you didnt catch at purchase.. (ie overheats after an hour) etc..
4. can you fit your bus in the places you thought you could? your favorite campground? the streets you like to drive?

many years ago I started out wanting a Long bus.. an 11 row bluebird.. and in fact took it home.. then realized I could never park it at my house as it wouldnt fit between the driveways.. and could never be backed partially into my driveway...

then discovered that parking it anywhere at a hotel was a chore. some hotels had a "around 20 foot" limit so that was out...

a long bus sounded fun but had wayyy more space then id ever use and weighed a ton.. plus was going to be a pain to A/C...

so I didnt get it.. and instead I got a short bluebird that fit about anywhere I wanted, drove more like what I wanted..

I knew what kind of bus I was looking for this time...

I realize theres little likelihood that people have a chance to take a bus home before you buy it .. but its best to find out you got the wrong bus right after you buy it and not after you convert it...

there are only a few on here doing this for the second or more time.. most everyone here is a Bus newbie and may never have even sat in the driver seat of a bus before going out and getting one..

its normal to think the needs change..

the good thing is many things about a bus can be changed.. as we have seen even the ceiling height.. people change engines, transmissions, tires, windows, lights, etc..

Yes the BEST scenerio is you buy the right bus right off the bat, build it and enjoy it forever.. but if things change, so can the bus..

-Christopher
Old 04-28-2016, 10:21 AM   #18
Bus Geek

Consider this. There are a lot of long bus conversions being resold, while short buses seem to be kept more often and used more because of the ease of storing and driving them.
There are times I wish I had more space, but I'd eventually fill it up with stuff I don't need to pack around with me. With a long bus I could start shopping at costco again.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:28 AM   #19
Bus Geek

Quote:
Consider this. There are a lot of long bus conversions being resold, while short buses seem to be kept more often and used more because of the ease of storing and driving them.
There are times I wish I had more space, but I'd eventually fill it up with stuff I don't need to pack around with me. With a long bus I could start shopping at costco again.

one of the bus dealers says short busses sell almost the minute he gets them.. so do RE's.. by fat the most popular 2 bus types out there...

-Christopher

Tags
christian, georgia, green, homeschool, newbie