Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2015, 08:56 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: 8.3L Cummins Turbo
Rated Cap: 80
Smile New Skoolie in Austin, TX

Howdy from Austin, TX

My wife and I are excited to get into the world of Skoolie RV'ing.

We've done a ton of research and it's time to pull the trigger and buy our first bus. We're going down to a place we found that has a large inventory of buses today and we expect to come home with one and start working on it!!!

We have a budget set aside of $15K so we should be able to get pretty much all the way through completion. We've been scouring this site and others for tips and tricks to make our bus great. Thank y'all for taking the time posting such great information.

We will post regularly on our progress.

Here we go on our greatest adventure...

AJ

drew78634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:19 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Welcome to another Texan! --- You have indeed found the best resource on the planet for building a skoolie and it sounds like you have gotten off to the right start by digging through the build threads here. Start with the best bus you can find/afford for your purpose and it will pay back as you work to completion and down the road.

Best of luck and please...do post all the build pix you can.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:06 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: 230 HP DT 466e/MT 643!
Rated Cap: 16
Hey Drew! We are in central TX as well - Where are you going to look at buses? Pearsall? If so, let me know how it is...

Welcome aboard! Look forward to everyone's adventures.

John
johnbloem1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:18 AM   #4

Hey,
I am from Dallas and am in about the same stage as you. I am going to be a little slower about purchasing since I am not quite ready at this point. I will be devising a master plan first and then moving forward with the purchase. I would love to share my process with you and learn from each other if possible. I am having a hard time finding buses in my area. You would think living in Dallas that there would be a plentiful supply of buses to choose from. I just have not found out where as of yet. I have shot an email to the Dallas School District transportation website in hopes of finding out where they ditch their undesirables. I would like to hear what bus you think is best for you and why and I will share my thoughts as well. Thanks, TexasJordan.
TexasJordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying our first bus, first post