Old 08-11-2018, 05:07 PM   #1

New skoolie wannabe

Hi all

I so love this site. I've done alot of research and still have more to do. I always wanted an rv. But like others have said, the way they are set up doesn't seem to work.

I am a writer and crafter and have dreamt of this portion of my life since 1990. I was 40 when, as a single mom, i started college in environmental science. The one thing that kept me focused is that i wanted to semi retire as a writer. Yes i do write but need to get my stuff out there.

The decision to semi retire was made for me. After 4 years of harassment and being bullied, i was assaulted by a co-worker. Because i was not family, i was let go. And to make matters worse, workers comp was denied.

I kind of spiraled down for a couple of years, used up my savings and lost my housing. Things are turning around now and I am excited about what is to come next.

I haved appealed the workers comp and should know this month and am pretty confident that i will win. My attorney quoted an amount which will pay for a skoolie with upgrades, such as solar panels, Insulation and composting toilet. I will stiil have some financial padding too.

The furniture i have in storage is perfect for a skoolie for myself, my pup and my brat cat. That's it for now. Sorry for the long introduction.
Meanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 05:18 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Welcome to our collective nightmare. I purchased a skoolie (84 p Thomas Saf-T-Liner (transit style)) because rent in my neck of the woods is obscene. Lots of room inside and it's MINE, all mine!
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
Welcome to our collective nightmare. I purchased a skoolie (84 p Thomas Saf-T-Liner (transit style)) because rent in my neck of the woods is obscene. Lots of room inside and it's MINE, all mine!
I know! what's funny is that if I were to put a down payment on a house, no one would think twice about it, even though there is a lot of work and expense to keep it together. but, I mention a school bus conversion and I get this shocked looked and the questions start flying. like, what about insulation? water? what if it breaks down? where are you going park it? don't you think that's risky? especially at your age?

the only thing I am not looking forward to is gutting it, but I will do it, hopefully in time for my sister's 70th in san diego in October and my daughter's first baby in November in ohio.
Meanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:55 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Chassis: GMC or Chevrolet, I hope
Engine: gasser probably
dont be a wannabe
JUST be a BE !!!!!!
Old 08-14-2018, 01:11 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
The gutting out part is easy; I hired two kids to remove the seats. I bought a Sawzall, an impact driver, a hammer, a pry bar, and a die grinder. Tools are now mine to keep and the labor was only $340.

Insulation? 1" double-faced rigid foam panels.

Flooring was 240 sq ft of carpeting and 80 sq ft of linoleum.

I had a custom bed frame made for my full-sized mattress for another $340.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote